Optifast. Oh, it works.

You're on Page 2 of 33
Go to
  • Thanks Kaplods.

In order to drop the weight fast and keep myself motivated, I did the HMR plan called Decision Free. This plan does not include fruits and veggies and allows you to go as low at 800 cal/day safely because of the medical supervision.

I lost 50 lbs in 22 weeks. I started at about 205, so I was one of the lightest people in my class. The heavier people lost a lot more weight. The men also lost more weight than the women.

It's challenging, but the results are very motivating. If you stay on plan, you'll lose at least 2 lbs a week. It's not unheard of for the heavier people to lost 5-6 lbs in a week. And that's not just the first week- that is well into the program!

I've reached my goal and am now in their maintenance class. Without HMR, I don't think I would have been able to do it.
  • If you can physically and mentally endure an 800 calorie diet in the long term, and can then transition successfully to maintenance, that's awesome.

Even in high school I couldn't do so without risking incredibly nasty symptoms. Severe IBS intestinal pain, diarrhea, dizziness, vertigo, blinding headaches, light headed weakness to the point that I would pass out (in college I passed out in a church confessional, talk about mortifying).

Interestingly on the Simple Diet, if you make your choices from the low end of the calorie guidelines for your 3 shakes, 2 entries, and 5 freggies, you will be eating only 705 calories per day.

I've been aiming for the middle range which averages about 1100 calories daily, and I've lost 19 lbs in a little over 3 weeks.
  • Four days in. Saigon. (Cue Apocalypse Now music).

It's fine. I can't believe I actually miss the oatmeal and chili of medifast days but at least these bars are huge.

We shall see. I have no desire to weigh myself. I just got off a 12 day cruise on Sunday and had the Optifast waiting. Gained 12 on the cruise: nice!

I'm on the 800, five shakes/bars a day plus green veggies.

I have to say I've only been hungry once but it blows to not be able to eat all night- but this is why I'm here.
  • Just wanted to check in- its been three and a half weeks and I've lost 17. No problems- some days I'm a little hungry but I will drink some bullion or tea and move on. It's been great!
  • Hi, I am new here and am on day 2 of the optifast program. Just looking for some support in this long journey.
    My name is Mary and I am 47 years young from NY.

Would love to hear from anyone regarding their experience on this program!

Thanks
    Mary
  • I hope this thread is still being watched. I started Optifast 2 1/2 weeks ago. The first week I lost 7 lbs but when I did my weigh in after the second week, I didn't lose anything. Nada! 3-5 shakes a day and I added moderate exercise. I did take one day off for my kids birthday but even that only involved one meal and it was a very small one - certainly nothing that would have made me regain anything I had lost for the week. I swear I thought my clothes were fitting roomier so I was stunned to find no loss. I cheated and weighed myself this morning and still no loss! Has anyone else experienced this?
  • I started otifast 800 today. My starting weight is 170, BMI 32.
  • hello from oz
    hi everyone!. i'm so happy to have found this thread/forum/whatever it's called. i'm new here.

i'm on optifast VLCD. i've been on it for 12 weeks and i've lost 14.5 kilo's.

i am on medication - lots of different things - and that holds me back a bit i think. because of the low calories you have low energy. in fact i've also heard this optifast called a VLED.

i have low energy anyway for a number of other reasons (it sucks) and i HATE exercise. i was doing weights (only 15 minutes) but i stopped 2 weeks ago for some reason i found. oh yeah my son came over from melbourne. so i stopped my strength training. duh

ok so i'll start it again TOMORROW yes i will. there, it's in writing and you've all seen it. that makes it a COMMITMENT.

now, my dreadmill. well i DO have a sore foot….i thought i would stay off my dreadmill for a couple of weeks, so it heals, but it feels ok today, so i really should start that again tomorrow too. oh god. help me. big deal (not) it's only a few minutes for crying out loud! (self-talk) and i spend HOURS sitting here, wasting time LOL.

nice to chat. optifast. what can i tell you? it gets easier, as you go along. it is a ketosis diet so it SUPPRESSES HUNGER. but, you MUST STICK 100%. i am committed, rock solid like.

so, don't even THINK about it, unless you can pull up your big girl panties and grit your teeth . it's hard, but it WORKS so the rewards are to-die-for

from saraphin
  • Hi saraphin

Welcome,
    I think it's just me and u here, I'm on day 2. I am not as hungry today and I even did a gentle 60 minute workout on the elliptical. I hope to get in at least 30 minute workout everyday. I am tired from very low calories, but it's not that bad
  • hi njdx
    howdy. only you are awake maybe. where are you again? i'm in south australia and it's early monday morning. i've just switched on my phone to set the alarm for my dreadmill exercise, otherwise i lose all track of time whilst i'm sitting here at my mac.

ok done. i have exactly 1 hour from now. that will be 9:21 am

4 men out the back, concreting and talking abouit it. raining. me and the three dogs inside. muggy because it's summer here.

coffee number 3. gosh i'll be ruinning today. haha (in my mind)

bfn
  • oh i forgot what we're here for lol um…

(njdx if you are feeling hungry, EAT something. cottage cheeses on sao. warm drink. crackers and low-fat chees is always good for me…)
  • Hey, I'm SoAndSo. New to this forum. Not new to Optifast. Lost 50 lbs in the summer of 2012, and, much to my chagrin, due to several stressful events, including deaths of 2 very close family members, put it all back on again. Today is day 2 for me. I have a few tips on what helped me get through 12 weeks last time. I'll share them with you if you help me stay on track. Deal?
  • njdx i love your avatar

hi soandso DEAL! i'm in my 14th week of optifast and i just moved to transition. i've done well, esp considering i have numerous health issues.

hi everyone

i had a whoosh

i'm having fun here today. i think i need more coffee though…will someone get it for me? hello? mmmmm nobody here. typical.

bfn
  • Hey Saraphin! Yay for you being 14 weeks in! I just completed day 2, and so far so good. My big challenges are cooking for the fam and not eating it. My witching hours are between 2 & 4 PM. Once I clear that time, I'm good for the day. With Optifast it really is just one day at a time. And I know it gets easier after the first week, especially once you see results. What is most helpful to me is drinking lots of good Oolong tea, chewing gum, and teaching myself to knit socks. Keeps my mind off of food and I just don't feel as hungry.
  • hi soandso

well i won't be knitting socks i don't think…i have joined 'swap-bot'…have you heard of it? my new hobby! so i have enough to do for now.

also i drink tea, lots of it. you will be fine, although you time will pass more comfortably once you are in ketosis. i haven't been hungry for weeks now.

tonight i'm having my first fruit..rockmelon and strawberries, yummy-yum. dessert. that mnight bump my body out of ketosis but it is supposed to do that so i learn to control myself and not be compulsive about any food.

good luck, tell me what shakes etc. do you like best? are you doing the VLCD one or a different one?

bfn
    saraphin