Optifast. Oh, it works.

You're on Page 13 of 33
Go to
  • I'm down to 192 pounds from 245.8. I am proud of myself, but this past weekend I went on a date and allowed myself a Diet Coke & vodka. It didn't make me gain weight but I'm fairly certain it knocked me out of ketosis. Ah, well. Only 13 pounds to go.

Edit: I went to my weekly tonight and expressed my frustrations to my dietician. We both agreed to switch over to Optifast 800, at least until I go on vacation in August. It felt so amazing to eat something solid today (peanut butter & chocolate bar). I already feel happier...
  • Quote: Hi All,

I just joined this forum. I wanted to share my weight loss story on Optifast 800 which I just finished.
    It'seems ironic that I had to modify the diet and still lost weight. Not by much, but I did feel shortchanged.
    Ok, I was having 5 shakes a day for 9 weeks ( attempted 12 weeks, but had to cut it short due to traveling).
    My weight loss was rapid and I was never hungry. I was strong willed and resisted any urge to cheat. 5 lbs per week was my weight loss average. At the end of 9 weeks I was down 50 lbs. I was so impressed with my results I would rave to others about the diet. Then I transitioned dropping one shake per week. NOW, I am at my dilemna!! After going back to food I think the weight is trying to creep back. My diet is perfectly healthy, I even eat organic. I try to walk at least 4 times per week as I was doing while on the shakes. My problem is...finding the best way to maintain what I've lost so far. I also want to lose more ( another 50 lbs) to reach my goal. Would it be safe to start the diet again or is it too soon? Someone please help. I'm desperate to find the right formula to succeed..I don't want to reverse what I've done.
    You should find a fitness club in your area that offer RMR test called (Bodygem test) It tells you how may calories Your body burns now after the weightloss, that way you will no how many calories to eat each day to maintain your weightloss, instead of guessing, it usually cost 50-100 dollars. you can gooogle bodygem to get more info.
  • hi all

I'll be spending some time here with all of you this year. i'm starting Optifast in the next few days,, this will be my second time. The first time was great i lost 17 lbs in a month,, but life got in the way and i stopped. I can't wait to start, because this the only diet that i have seen real results from....
  • It's been a while since I've checked in, and everyone is doing so great! Congrats!!

I had a week off program where I maintained, but didn't lose. Aaannnnndd.... it frustrated me enough that I really, really want to stay on programme from now on. Not worth stopping! hahaha... (I say this before I go for a week on vacation with the family. Geeze!)

A previous poster was asking about the cost of the programme, and there were some great, detailed answers. Just in the tiny chance that the poster is in Canada (perhaps not all provinces).. the cost of the programme it's self, doctor appointments, blood work, EKG, classes, etc. is all covered under your health care - so, free. You DO pay for the cost of the food right now (however, many of the hospitals are attempting to advocate to get this changed, as it technically falls under a 'prescription' - ie. we can't get it except through a dr.... however, it is classified as 'food' so it's difficult.) I believe it's about $1400 for the cost of food for 12 weeks... so about $116 a week - so $4.14 per meal (we do the Optifast 900 programme up here, so it's 4 shakes a day)

Apparently SOME employee heath care plans may cover the cost of the food... people have to check individually.

Hope that may help a bit for folks wondering the cost in Canada.
  • Optifast 800 throught Kaiser - Second Week
    Hi Guys,

I am 30 y.o. female who recently started optifast 800 through Kaiser Weight Management Program. I am in the week 2 of my meal replacement. The first week, I got on my scale, but it did not show much of weight loss. But, when I went to the weekly weight in, I lost 6.4 lbs. I was surprised.

I got back home, and checked my scale again. The numbers differed vastly… my scale still shows no weight loss.. maybe 1 lb actually...

I don't feel like I am losing any weight. I am making an effort to work out everyday. I have been sticking to 4 shakes, 1 bar, and 1 soup. Also, drinking at least one gallon of water a day. No cheating whatsoever.

I feel like eating sometimes, but constantly have to remind my self, I can't.

I know it is too early, but usually, when I diet, even after three days, I see weight loss, this time around, I am still not feeling the weight loss, and its been 11 days…

Why is it not working>?
  • Hi floralshorts 13 pounds to go!! woohoooooooo! you've got this!

Hi Goddess In Training I'm sorry you had that week of not losing. I seriously dread the time that I don't see the scales move and I know it's gonna happen at some point. Good for you for getting back at it though! I'm sure the time away with family will have its challenges so keep your long term goal in focus and Good Luck!

njdx1205, Welcome back to the program, and keep us posted on how your first week is going! Oh, and thanks for the info about the Bodygem test.

Hi bollywoodprincess, Welcome to this thread. I understand your frustration but perhaps your scales at home are like mine and have a mind of their own? I trust the scales at my Optifast center ... they have to be tried and true. However, if you truly aren't losing just stick with the program and you will. Also, don't overdo the exercise for the first 4-5 weeks while your body adjusts... Good Luck!
  • Thank you starlighmintz! I keep telling myself the weight gain was not over a course of weeks, so it won't be gone in few weeks either… but it is sooo hard!!!

I hope by next week, I start feeling like I am losing weight.
  • @BollywoodPrincess Also too, things to consider

- time of day has to be consistent on each scale you use. ie. if you weighed yourself first thing in the AM one day, and then in the evening, the next, you're not going to show a loss.

- apparently, as per my clinic, one particular week, I only lost 3 lbs on the scale.... but I also GAINED 3lbs of muscle that week... so in fact, I lost 6lbs of fat, and gained back 3 in muscle. (I did a lot of yard work labouring that week )

- are they doing waist measurements? Those are great to see progress too

You'll get there!! And welcome
  • Quote: Hi Guys,

I am 30 y.o. female who recently started optifast 800 through Kaiser Weight Management Program. I am in the week 2 of my meal replacement. The first week, I got on my scale, but it did not show much of weight loss. But, when I went to the weekly weight in, I lost 6.4 lbs. I was surprised.

I got back home, and checked my scale again. The numbers differed vastly… my scale still shows no weight loss.. maybe 1 lb actually...

I don't feel like I am losing any weight. I am making an effort to work out everyday. I have been sticking to 4 shakes, 1 bar, and 1 soup. Also, drinking at least one gallon of water a day. No cheating whatsoever.

I feel like eating sometimes, but constantly have to remind my self, I can't.

I know it is too early, but usually, when I diet, even after three days, I see weight loss, this time around, I am still not feeling the weight loss, and its been 11 days…

Why is it not working>?
    Hey!!! Not sure if this helps or not (but I hope it does)... for me it took a few weeks before I saw any progress at all. The scale just didn't want to go anywhere, I was so frustrated.. no cheating.. couldn't figure out what was wrong.. but then I noticed that I was getting more "jiggly".. and my legs that once were almost rock hard with the amount of fat shoved into them started to turn to jello... once I softened up I started seeing the scale drop about 5 lbs every week...

Sometimes it takes our bodies awhile to figure out what's up and start to eat the fat like it's supposed to do :P I've no doubt you'll be seeing the scale drop in no time.

Also it seems like your home scale is off from the clinic's scale. Go by the clinic's numbers... also you can calculate how different the clinic scale is and your scale, and know that whatever you scale is.. your actual weight is (INSERT NUMBER HERE)... So maybe your scale says you lost 1 lbs... but you know it's 4 lbs heavier than the clinic scale... so really you lost those 4 lbs... ya know what I mean???

ANYHOO Hang in there and You got this! It'll get easier I promise!
  • ZOMG I can not even put into words how excited I am right now. Last night was my weigh in.... and I lost 3 lbs... which brings me to 298!!! I'm out of the 300's baby!!!!! OK so I'm BARELY out of it... but the number totally starts with a 2 now and that is something I haven't seen in........ 5 years maybe... maybe more?? I have lost track. I gave up on ever seeing a 2 at the start again.

Also tonight is my first night of integrating back to food!!!! I've put in my time, and I can finally eat food again (on my program there was NO Food... just 4 shakes a day for 12 weeks)... Tonight I get a cup of veggies and 3 meat/meat alt options... to say I'm excited would be an understatement LOL

Once I eat I'll be posted my update/pics/meal/thoughts on my blog WOOT

www.TheFawker.com <3
  • Fawks, that is amazing! Congratulations!
  • Thanks HappyRadio!
  • That's a major milestone, Fawks! Congratulations!

...and I enjoy your blog!
  • Awww super hugs Starlight Blogging has really helped get me out of my head and start making progress. *Hugs Blog* hehehe
  • @Fawks - CONGRATS!!!! Not only are you out of the 3's... but your an eyelash away from being down 60 freaking lbs! Nice work.