Packaged Meals and Clinics - Nutrisystem, Medifast, Jenny Craig, Etc For support and questions about diet meal delivery programs, or weight loss clinics that offer prepackaged meals and products.

Old 03-28-2012, 09:39 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 273/173/150

Angry Nutrisystem suspicious?

I actually wanted to try nutrisystem. I had a deal where it would only cost $229 for a month. I just wanted to try it for a month and then renew if I thought it was the way for me. I was pretty excited to try it. Well, that feeling soon faded when I found out that they wanted access to my bank account so they could deduct money every month and send me shipments (you can cancel any time after so many shipments but that may take a couple months to kick in). I just wanted to try it! If that wasn't enough; they took my information when I tentatively put my order in online (cancelling it near the end when I found out about the automatic bank account withdrawal), Now I get phone calls and emails offering me additional 40% off etc if I just agree to the automatic withdrawals. NO MEANS NO, lol, please, we have enough problems without that kind of hassel! Does anyone know a way around the auto-withdrawals with Nutrisystem?
eightiesbabe84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 09:46 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I have had Nutrisystem , twice with a few years in between. I paid by credit card and never had automatic withdrawal. it wasn't even suggested as I recall.
Are you dealing with Nutrisystem directly or HSN or QVC ? Those home shopping networks are notorious for getting you to sign up for automatic Withdrawal.
Are you dealing with an actual person or all online, if you can talk to someone in person, ask to speak to a supervisor and explain what you want. They do want to sell their product so you may get assistance that way.

Last edited by bargoo; 03-28-2012 at 09:50 AM.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 04:45 PM   #3  

Ive never had an issue with QVC and automatic withdrawl, nor have they ever asked for my banking info. But if you sign up for an autopay thing, they will charge your card for the 2nd payment if you don't return the initial shipment within the first month.
Ame D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 05:00 PM   #4  

I went straight to the nutrisystem website and then cancelled the transaction at the last minute when I found out what they wanted to do. After that I found out they kept all my info (including my credit card info) and they called me almost every day offering me this discount or that special until I told them to stop calling until they found a way to let me try it without auto withdrawals and shipments (haven't heard from them since). My main concern was that someone with a set income (or lower income) might end up with overdrafts because of this.
Old 04-06-2012, 11:13 AM   #5  

Just call them and demand to be COMPLETELY removed from their systems (meaning ALL info purged since you have completed no business with them) and if they refuse you will have your attorney contact them. I do that to businesses all the time and it scares them into leaving me alone. Sometimes they even send free stuff as an apology for the harassment.
FattyFatFat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 07:37 AM   #6  

S/C/G: Started Cal Counting on 1/4/16

Height: 5'10"

If you just want to try NS foods, I suggest one of two things. Either find a "Big Lots" and purchase the food from them (a lot of Big Lots carries NS foods - not all of them, but a good selection that you can try different foods) or go back online and do what I do - Ala Carte.
JerseyPAGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 09:38 AM   #7  

FYI, Costco is doing their Nutrisystem GC for half off, a 100 dollar gift card will only cost you 50
sluggo44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 11:15 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 357/see ticker/235

Height: 5' 10"

A lot of NS foods are available on eBay at greatly reduced prices.
Sally Pineapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 12:50 PM   #9  

NS accesses the bank account because somewhere along the way you mentioned echecks, or withdraw from checking. That is the only reason they need access to your bank account. NS is not a scam. They have been around 20 plus years and are a fully invested company.
irishchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 01:10 PM   #10  

You can buy one month for a flat price + shipping, with no recurring auto-shipments. Or you can sign up for auto-delivery, which gives you the discounts (likely the $229 price you mentioned) plus free shipping. By signing up for auto-delivery, though, you commit to at least 2 shipments, I believe.

So, yes, you can get only one month's worth, but not at the discounted price they afford their auto-delivery customers.
missphalange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 01:05 AM   #11  

I just joined and there was no autowithdrawals ... they gave a reduced price for auto shipments, and the lower price continues for as long as I continue with the auto delivery. I never heard that you could get stuff from BIG LOTS or E-bay ... I always thought you had to buy directly from them or not at all. Interesting stuff you learn on forums. Thanks.
lillygrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 09:50 PM   #12  

Thanks guys, they finally stopped calling my house and sending me constant e-mails. established or not, it made me nervous that my bank info was out there, not all employee's or people who handle phone calls are honest. Too bad because I really wanted to try it! oh well, thats the way it goes.
Old 06-24-2012, 10:12 AM   #13  
Token Vulcan

I've been on NS just over a year and have lost 35 lbs with them (that's my 30-lbs-lost Nutribear in my avatar). (BTW, NS has actually been around 40 years.) I pay my auto-deliveries by credit card, there was never any insistence about access to my bank account. I, personally, have never needed to deal with their Customer Service, but from what I've read on the forums there, it's been a mixed bag (some people get great service, others not so much, or a lot of conflicting info because the reps aren't all on the same page as each other, or as the company). It's definitely an area that could use some improvement along the lines of training and making sure their folks know what to say and not contradict each other. They could also do a better job of communicating info to the public in terms of explaining plans, letting people know timelines of new food releases, etc. Between the different types of plans and the different promotions, things can get confusing.

You could try Big Lots or Ollie's but those are items from their "Advanced" program (they now have the "Success" program) that have been discontinued since about 6-8 months ago and, while NS' shelf-stable foods have a long shelf life (anywhere from 6-18 months, depending), bear in mind certain things like cakes and bars are going to start showing their ages at this point. The Advanced items have a date stamped on them that is actually the production date so if you see a number that looks like, for instance, 100511, then that item was produced on October 5, 2011. (The Success line has a "best by" date on them.)

As far as the program itself, if you like the foods, don't have certain pre-existing allergies or intolerances, and can follow the plan, it works. You eat their entrees, plus grocery items (veggies, proteins, fruits, etc.). The basic premises are: foods are based on the low glycemic index, you are eating smaller, more frequent meals to keep your metabolism revved, their foods have extra fiber and protein in them to help keep you fuller longer (along with the proteins and veggies you add yourself).

I've been enjoying the heck out of it. But that's me, it works for me and my life and my habits. I haven't had any issues with the foods as far as bad reactions (other than the extra fiber does tend towards a certain (ahem) gassiness) and I customize my orders to get what I like so I've been fine. I've learned quite a bit from it. If anybody wants to try before they commit, there are the options of the old Advanced items at Big Lots (but that's not an accurate reflection of the current foods), buying from people off eBay or the NS forums themselves (trusting the people are being honest about how old or new the food is), or buying some "a la carte" items directly from the NS website itself. There's also QVC as an option but that is a preselected package. (BTW, if you see NS "Everyday" items in stores like Kroger's, that's actually more of a "maintenance" line and not what's on the active weight loss plan, you won't get that stuff as part of the program.)

Last edited by trekkiegirl; 06-25-2012 at 07:21 PM.
trekkiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 12:00 PM   #14  

Thank you for the good advice. I actually ended up going with Medifast. They required a two month commitment though, plus they are a bit more expensive. No one seems to just want to let you try something without making a financial commitment. I don't live within 200 miles of a Big Lots. I am just curious to see if Medifast actually stops charging my credit card and sending me stuff when I am ready to quit them. LOL 99% chance this will just end up like the other diets and I will be another 600 dollars poorer!
Old 08-21-2012, 07:03 PM   #15  

eightiesbabe--i did medifast about 4 years ago...i lost 30lbs fast! but i was hungry and the "meals" were nasty. I am doing nutrisystem now and it is great...i did the plan that has autoship and i get 10 days of frozen meals/desserts for $300 no shipping...now my account online shows that my "next autoship" date is Sept 9, but I changed that to a week later...so you can actually delay your shipments up to 60 days each time without penalty. I am also getting 3 weeks of free food, 1 week in each of the first 3 shipments, this is why i am delaying by 1 week each time, since I have 5 weeks of food per shipment. you can modify your food choices up to the day before they are schedules to ship and you get little bears for different goals to help keep you motivated..it is a great program that helps you learn how to eat daily the correct way, the right food in the right amounts.
Good luck in which ever program you do, everyone is different....just know that we are all here for your support and will hope for the best for you
Dedicated2012 is offline   Reply With Quote