Packaged Meals and Clinics - Nutrisystem, Medifast, Jenny Craig, Etc For support and questions about diet meal delivery programs, or weight loss clinics that offer prepackaged meals and products.

Closed Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 02:17 PM   #466  

I forgot who was that asked me about the Hulu Plus, the difference between that and the free is their is more content and less commercials/ads.

I am curious to know how many of you follow the plan exclusively?
What plan is it you follow?
If you don't follow the plan, what plan do you follow?

While I am totally in love with these products (majority of them!) and think it is great I don't really have to put a lot of effort in to meal planning, which is a big plus for me at this stage in my life.

The thing is, one of the reasons I did not purchase WS/NL is the past is because I was on food benefits. So, I was using Sparkpeople, My Fitness Pal and all my old Weight Watcher materials to do it myself by calorie counting.

Recently my benefits were cut, and I have no idea why. I have been fighting it and sending in paperwork and just twiddling my thumbs while I wait. So, I started to think if I am going to have to buy my own food this month anyway, why not make the best of it.

Long term I will not be able to do this. I would love to, but so long as I am in school, financially I can't. Especially now with the holidays coming up. I might be able to do one more 4wk package after I am empty on all of these boxes, which should last me a few more weeks.

So, I am trying to do this as a learning tool in order to learn portion size again and find ways to stay withing my allowed calorie range.

It has been a real eye opener this week!

Once I get my food benefits back I will have to use what I have learned to find suitable super market finds
Old 10-26-2010, 02:33 PM   #467  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristikins View Post
Hi girlies!! I was gonna chime in on Megs family drama decision - but I think you ladies have hit the nail on the head! Meg they are right - it's totally up to you, and honestly - if you go there looking for some gratification ("oo oo look at Meg, she looks fabulous"...) I'm afraid they'd just dissappoint you there too - when I want people to notice, they don't and when I don't think about someone noticing, they do...Sunday my neice couldn't get over how different I look - haven't seen her in several months - that was an upper - but then the drama at the table took over and that downer was bigger than the upper was and the after effects lasted WAY longer too! So I guess, as hard as it is to ignore what we think is obligation, it's probably best for our own sanity if we just avoid strange and stressful situations all we can! You'll do what's right for you and you'll stand a little taller because of it! oh an good luck w/ no soda's...I gave them up years ago - pretty much all I drink now is water and sugar free kool-aid (aside from my shakes of course)...don't like Tea (yeah I know, here I am in the south - home of the sweetest iced tea in the US and I don't like it...) so anytime I do have carbonated drinks I get the hiccups - and caffeine will keep me awake for days...

As for me...I had a talk with my Mom yesterday..she had NO idea she was acting like the food police around me. She apologized for it and said she'd try to never do that again - after Dad did it to her she realizes how that feels...so I guess all in all it was a productive blow up after all; at least for me! We'll see how long it lasts

Am going to do plan 100% today! I've been a little bad in the evenings this week (Sunday and Monday) - PMS cravings was really hard this time...am totally committed today though!
Good for you sticking to the water! Like you, it wasn't difficult for me to give up the carbonated drinks. I've always had to swish them around in my mouth until the carbonation went away, over-ice them (to achieve the same result), or let them get flat on their own. :P I can't explain it, but the carbonation hurts my mouth and throat going down. Go figure!

I'm really glad to hear that you talked to your mom. Sometimes we really don't realize what we're doing until someone points it out to us. I'm sure things will be better going forward. (And if she slips, you can always gently ask, "remember that conversation we had about being the food police...?" )

When you're really craving something else in the evenings what are you eating? Do you just eat extra supplements? Or are you eating totally off plan. If you're eating off plan, you might try to just stick with extra supplements going forward. At least that way you're still eating food with the right balance of nutrients. Otherwise, if you're carbing it up, etc. every time you go off plan, you're throwing your body back into a sugary, carby haze. And, honestly, until you get out, and stay out, of it for awhile you'll find yourself battling cravings. Just something to consider!

-Jen
Old 10-26-2010, 02:35 PM   #468  
Goddess of All

S/C/G: 174.5/see ticker/130

Height: 5'3"

Irish: I have done some research into supermarket foods that can be subsituted for WS products.

One of my great finds has been at Aldi's: It's their version of Kashi's Protein Plus cereal. (don't quote me on the name!). It sells for $2.29/ box at Aldi's and they give the nutritional information for a 1 cup serving. 1/2 cup is still filling and more like the WS cereal. And it's yummy too. I've also purchased Special K's Protein Plus and that was OK.

Jillian Michael's protein powder is similar to the WS shakes. I have not tried it yet, but WalMart sells a can for $10 (and you can find coupons!!) and that has 17 servings. Only two flavors: chocolate and vanilla.

Warehouse clubs carry lots of protein bars. Check them out to see what's similar to WS.

that's my 2 cents.
Old 10-26-2010, 02:45 PM   #469  

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishchik View Post
I forgot who was that asked me about the Hulu Plus, the difference between that and the free is their is more content and less commercials/ads.

I am curious to know how many of you follow the plan exclusively?
What plan is it you follow?
If you don't follow the plan, what plan do you follow?

While I am totally in love with these products (majority of them!) and think it is great I don't really have to put a lot of effort in to meal planning, which is a big plus for me at this stage in my life.

The thing is, one of the reasons I did not purchase WS/NL is the past is because I was on food benefits. So, I was using Sparkpeople, My Fitness Pal and all my old Weight Watcher materials to do it myself by calorie counting.

Recently my benefits were cut, and I have no idea why. I have been fighting it and sending in paperwork and just twiddling my thumbs while I wait. So, I started to think if I am going to have to buy my own food this month anyway, why not make the best of it.

Long term I will not be able to do this. I would love to, but so long as I am in school, financially I can't. Especially now with the holidays coming up. I might be able to do one more 4wk package after I am empty on all of these boxes, which should last me a few more weeks.

So, I am trying to do this as a learning tool in order to learn portion size again and find ways to stay withing my allowed calorie range.

It has been a real eye opener this week!

Once I get my food benefits back I will have to use what I have learned to find suitable super market finds
So the short answer is I follow a definite plan and am probably far more strict with myself than most. It's also, to be fair, the reason I've seen the success I have over the past year. I really believe one of the biggest contributors to a person's success is finding the plan that works for them and then sticking to it....no matter what.

To get to the heart of your question, the weight loss plan that my doctor gave me looks like this:
  • Two weeks of nothing but supplements to start (or when you've taken a hard fall off the wagon and need to get back on track)
  • Then:
  • breakfast is a supplement
  • Lunch is a supplement plus a salad with unlimited veggies and very low cal dressing (or no dressing, which is sometimes just easier...a lot of those low cal dressings are pretty icky)
  • Snack is a supplement or a fat free/no sugar added yogurt
  • Dinner is 4 oz. of lean protein, unlimited steamed vegetables and a small piece of fruit
  • Dessert is a supplement
What I'd encourage you to do is this: once you've found the plan that's working for you, make sure you note the fat, protein, and carb grams you're eating daily as well as the calories. Then, if you decide to switch to all food you can track it and eat to those same ratios you were eating at while doing the supplements. Make sense?

I have my doctor's permission to do the plan as outlined above, or to do less supplements and more food, or even all food: as long as I'm sticking to the nutrient ratios that we know are promoting optimal health and weight loss.

Even if you temporarily do the supplements, like you said, they will help teach you portion control, and what it feels like to be satiated but not "full" all of the time. I also think it's good to keep some on hand, even if you eventually shift to all food, for those times where you don't have access to real healthy food or need something in a pinch. At least, again, the WS supplements are calorie and nutrient controlled and (even in larger quantities) are always a better choice than, say, fast food, for example.

Hopefully this helps, Chrystal, but again, if you have more questions please don't hesitate to ask!

-Jen
Old 10-26-2010, 03:32 PM   #470  

S/C/G: 230/ticker/150

Height: 5' 5"

Jen - I used to follow WS, but decided to go back to doing South Beach. I couldn't stomach the supplements as much anymore, mostly because I just wanted FOOD!!! So, I chose to sacrifice the time it takes to prepare my food....rather than eating crap because I didn't feel like having another shake/protein meal/etc. It works for me...um...except when I decide to drink too many glasses of wine. he he But, such is life. I'm finally to a point where even if I fall of the wagon, I don't beat myself up about, I just get back on and move on. Life is full of ups and downs. So...whatever, it works for me.

I do still have the supplements to use like you said...in a pinch, when I'm not quite prepared foodwise and need something that is NOT fast food

Kristi- SO glad you talked to your food police about the whole situation...phew...now she knows and now you can call her on it when it rears it's ugly head again!

Last edited by jyoyo78; 10-26-2010 at 03:32 PM.
Old 10-26-2010, 05:48 PM   #471  
Goddess of All

Isn't it funny how much damage families, those people who are suppose to love us the most, can do to us?? I'm glad that we all have finally figured it all out!!!

I must say that eliminating soda (yes, diet soda) from my diet already seems to have straightened out my carb cravings. Good thing I figured this out AFTER I purchased a case of diet soda!!!
Old 10-26-2010, 06:35 PM   #472  

Quote:
Originally Posted by goddessmeg View Post
Irish: I have done some research into supermarket foods that can be subsituted for WS products.

One of my great finds has been at Aldi's: It's their version of Kashi's Protein Plus cereal. (don't quote me on the name!). It sells for $2.29/ box at Aldi's and they give the nutritional information for a 1 cup serving. 1/2 cup is still filling and more like the WS cereal. And it's yummy too. I've also purchased Special K's Protein Plus and that was OK.

Jillian Michael's protein powder is similar to the WS shakes. I have not tried it yet, but WalMart sells a can for $10 (and you can find coupons!!) and that has 17 servings. Only two flavors: chocolate and vanilla.

Warehouse clubs carry lots of protein bars. Check them out to see what's similar to WS.

that's my 2 cents.
Thank you Meg!

I have often wondered about Kashi cereals. I hear so many people talking about them. I have yet to try them myself. The only thing I have tried is their little cracker packets. (they were on sale!) I am always reading in magazine and on forums about their products. My closest Aldi's is over 30min away, but I have seen it on sale at Kroger quite often.

I also visit a grocery outlet that sells squashed boxes and dinged cans and such. They have Kashi all the time and they sell it for $1.49-$1.99 so next time I am there I am going to give it a go.

I got a can of McCanns Steal Cut Irish Oatmeal from there for 99 cents and its usually 4 bucks in the store! 1/4 of a cup fills me up for hours. 150 calories, 2.5 grams of fat,0 sodium, 27 carbs, 3gr fiber, 4gr protein. I add a little PB2 (bellplantation.com) 45 calorie peanut butter for flavor and a bit more protein. This has been my go to breakfast up until I started WS. My doc was pretty happy about it.

You are not the only one who has mentioned JM protein powder. A lot of people on the My Fitness Pal forums talk about how good it is. They say its really yummy and how much they appreciate the price of it. I think I might have to check this one out. I did try some stuff from GNC, their Lean line. I still have a little of the Vanilla left. It is actually pretty good to make a pumpkin spice drink with. I mixed it with my coffee, some pumpkin pie spice flavor, nutmeg, and I felt like I had a Starbucks treat, so it would be awesome to find something similar! Thank you for letting me know your 2 cents on that.

I have tried a few Special K products. Not bad. I do have some tea flavor protein water, which I really like. It helps to take some of the edge off when I get a little hungry, plus I like to drink it when I am on the treadmill.

I was thinking about making index cards, one for each of the WS products giving the flavor, serving size, and all the nutritional information so I would have them when I went grocery shopping the next time. I could keep them in my coupon organizer so they were handy. This might help me find something comparable. If I can't find something that compares, I can keep that on my "MUST BUY" list

Thanks again for the tips!
Old 10-26-2010, 06:57 PM   #473  

Jen: Thank you for that. It does make perfect sense. I think you have a great plan. So far, for the most part I am trying to stick with the WS plan that is on the website. I have looked at the NL plan on their website and the calories are much less. I can't personally stick to 1000 calories and those extra 200 really do help me not get light headed and dizzy. I have also looked at the MF website and how their plan works. I have even spent some time reading (not posting) their forums to see how other work the supplement program.

I am loving this program, but I am still learning. Hence, all the questions. And I want to start making notes now about other things I can do and/or buy that will help me along the way.

So far I have a spiral and each WS product has its own pages. On those pages I write recipes I have found, tips and tricks others have tried, the few things I have tried and items others have found that are comparable.

I write down every little thing that goes in in to my mouth. I have the WS program outline and food lists for lean, green, dairy, optional, beverages, starch and some allowable things on MF laminated and in a folder which I have been taking with me everywhere. I even had it in the cart at the grocery store last week! LOL

jyoyo: I tried SB in the past and could never get through the first few days. But I do like a lot of the SB endorsed products. I am not really a fan of fast food since it gives me so much stomach problems. But I do like to go out to eat. I try to stick to good meals and plan ahead, but not always so good about it. I always have wine when I go to my friends house or we have a girls night. To me its better than all the Guinness I used to drink and I can't stomach even the lightest 55 calorie beer.

Kristi - I am glad you got that taken care of too. I have the mother, and well, family in general who like to push food. Then when you say no thank you, you tend to feel guilty because they "make it for you" or "worked so hard on it" and then it goes in my mouth. I have been getting better about it, telling my mom I just can't have it. She has gotten much better over the years. My fiancé, he is still learning.

Last edited by irishchik; 10-26-2010 at 06:58 PM.
Old 10-27-2010, 08:10 AM   #474  

Good morning, all! Supposed to be a much nicer day here in Cleveland, which I'm thrilled about. All of the rain and windstorms yesterday had folks really on edge. Thankfully, the worst of the weather avoided us. Today's forecast: 68 and sunny! Hurray! Glad that nothing will be stopping me from my walk this evening.

Scale was up again this morning. I know it's just my body settling after the two weeks of pure supplements and having my period/being back on the hormones/pill. But I gotta tell you: it was MUCH more fun watching the scale go DOWN every day! Sitting at 157.3 now. These are the mornings when I have to remind myself that I started at 173.3 less than three weeks ago, and it's still headed in the right direction! Amazing how easy it is to get discouraged (and exactly why I caution people about weighing themselves every day if they can't handle seeing the fluctuations). Of course, I'm going to be annoyed, regardless of whether the scale goes up slowly over the week, or shows a bigger increase on Saturday's official weigh in. So I figure I might as well deal with the reality of the situation sooner vs. later!

Yesteray was a "hungrier" day for me than I've had lately, I will admit. I'm not sure if it's just my body adjusting, or if eating regular food again in the evenings is triggering something. One thing I know for sure: the WS milk chocolate crunchies taste GREAT...but they're not something that's going to tide you over as an afternoon snack! I ended up eating an extra crispy bar on my way home from work yesterday because I knew I wouldn't be able to make it to dinner, otherwise. But, as I always say: I'd rather eat an extra supplement than gorge myself on fast food!

A word of caution for you folks talking about the Kashi cereals, and such, btw: are any of you carbohydrate sensitive? I know I am. So things like Kashi, as tasty as they are, do not last long term in terms of energy, and usually leave me craving more carby foods by the end of the day. If you're not sure how sensitive you are, again, make sure you're tracking EVERYTHING. Figure out what your "sweet spot" is and then eat to that. If you can work things like Kashi cereals in, then go for it. I just know that for me I need adequate protein and fat to balance out a relatively low carb intake each day, and things like these do NOT fit my plan.

Hope you're all having a great Wednesday morning thus far. Almost half way through the week, ladies!

-Jen
Old 10-27-2010, 09:03 AM   #475  
Goddess of All

Jen: there's something in the air because I'm up 1.2 pounds in one freakin' day!! What is with that???

We lost power last night at 9 AM and still don't have it. Plus the wind is still fierce and now it's snowing/sleeting. Not good. It's awfully difficult to get ready by the light of 1 flashlight!!
Old 10-27-2010, 10:03 AM   #476  
Calorie Cutting Queen

S/C/G: 279/265/165

Height: 5.5

Jen - when I cave on cravings it's never supplements..it's always whatever kind of junk I can dig up! But yesterday was better and today is gonna be better than yesterday! I do like your idea though of "if you gotta eat something - make it a supplement!"...I'll try that...

Chrystal - Sounds like you are on a mission girl...all your bargain finding/organization and research...GO FOR IT!!

Meg - just use all those diet sodas as special treats - or give them to trick or treaters they'll love that!! HA!!

Weather talk: We had some rough winds thru TN yesterday too - and BUCKETS of rain!! Today is suppose to be in the low 70's! YAY! It was scary yesterday with all the storms thru most of the country - but good to see that you all were safe...guess it's really fall now! Our trees peaked with color last weekend and after the wind gusts yesterday there are lots of trees with a bunch of bald spots...which means....Santa Clause is comin' to town (sang to the tune of the song)....really soon!!
Old 10-27-2010, 11:13 AM   #477  

S/C/G: 230/ticker/150

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishchik View Post

I was thinking about making index cards, one for each of the WS products giving the flavor, serving size, and all the nutritional information so I would have them when I went grocery shopping the next time. I could keep them in my coupon organizer so they were handy. This might help me find something comparable. If I can't find something that compares, I can keep that on my "MUST BUY" list

Thanks again for the tips!
Instead of making index cards...you could also just cut that information off of your boxes....or print it from online....writing out a bunch of index cards sounds really tedious...lol Just a thought
Old 10-27-2010, 11:00 PM   #478  

S/C/G: 220/190/160

Height: 5'6"

Hi everyone - well, have been a little bit behind on things.......have not been able to get back on program since the 1st of the month returning from my last trip.......only manage about a half a day then seem to crash. I have been reading up here for the last couple of days though and got kind of excited to start up again and reordered product again awhile ago. It should be here probably by next Wen. Think I have enough on hand to make it until then. Would like to do the fast in order to get the junk out of my system......sure miss that good feeling that I get when 'eating clean'. But, like the alcoholic, do have to detox.
We lost one of our doggies today.......she was 16 years old. Was really hard to say good-bye to her even though it was her time.
Lots of new people here.......hearing Jen's story and seeing your success is truly inspiring! If you can make it a whole year doing this, I should be able to get back on track again. Normally, I attempt new beginnings on Mondays, and really have been kinda doing it since then.....have re-assumed my original avatar, as there is a thin me just waiting to reappear one day. Think my body has now gotten used to the new weight and may respond again now if I get back on program. Will work it again a day at a time.
Old 10-28-2010, 08:10 AM   #479  

Waterwoman: Welcome (back)! I look forward to getting to know you as you (re)join our group and begin the next phase of your journey. Very sorry to hear about the loss of your pup though. 16 years is a long time, and I'm sure they left you with more happy memories than you can count.

Here is hoping that today is a better day than yesterday was for me! Boy...stress out the wazzoo at work (which led to me working a very long 7 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. day). Then I got home and went for my walk (which I really needed) but pushed it a little harder than I have been, walking 3 miles in just under 50 minutes. By the time I got home at 6:30 p.m. I was STARVING. So I put my dinner together before doing anything else, and practically inhaled it. I think I knew then that I was in trouble. I cleaned the dishes and showered and went downstairs to watch some TV (Biggest Loser from the night before...a definite guilty pleasure!). By the time it was 8:30 p.m. I was more than ready for my dessert (carmel pudding). But it didn't come anywhere NEAR hitting the spot (or filling the seemingly insatiable hole in my stomach). In the next hour I managed to consume an additional 800 calories! YIPES! I didn't eat total crap (at least I stuck to supplements), but I ended up eating almost double my calories for the day yesterday. Just goes to show...we all have our struggles and our moments! Needless to say, the scale is up to 158.9 this morning. I'm trying not to beat myself up about it (something that's always a struggle) and I'm just doing my thing today. The one thing I think I've finally learned in the past year is to not let one day's slips affect the day (or the week!) after, as they've always done in the past.

You know, it's interesting, I was just reading a blog the other day that I follow on weight maintenance and the author was talking about this type of binge behavior (behavior that you can feel coming on, and is kind of controlled even though you just feel like you have that insatiable hunger). She hypothesized that it might be triggered by our bodies when they really feel like they're not getting enough (like after a couple weeks of strictly sticking to plan...which I've been doing...hmmm). She also talked about them being related to stress (which I know to be true to me), lack of sleep (also true), etc. And I admit, I went to bed early last night. I pretty much finished eating, finished my show, and promptly crashed. It'll be interesting to see if I'm able to just pick up and keep on going with all of that in mind. In short, she's suggesting that sometimes our binges are purely based on a physical hunger response (versus being emotionally driven, or caused by making poor food choices that day, etc.). What do you guys think? Is this true for you?

Hope you're all having a great morning. Just one more day til Friday all! Hurray!

-Jen
Old 10-28-2010, 08:18 AM   #480  

Hey ladies, I am SO EXCITED! I spent all morning yesterday customizing my 4 week kit for WS since DD has it on SALE! I talked to a representative online in real time chat and she made all the changes I wanted! I substituted the items on SALE - like the WS Cakes and the Vegetarian Sloppy Joe for other WS items, then I purchased them separately - 1 Cheesecake, 1 Double Chocolate Cake and 1 Vegetarian Sloppy Joe...Then I purchased 5 bags EACH of the WS pretzels and Chips. I wanted to buy them from NL with my $20 off coupon but they were going to charge me 14 dollars to ship 2 boxes of chips I would have only paid around 5 dollars for, so the shipping offset the coupon. I got tons of WS from DD for 271.

I should get the products on Friday when I am visiting my Mother's home in Mississippi, and the tracking shows this. That is some AWESOME quick shipping, they originally thought it would be Saturday but tracking my package, shows it is coming on Friday which is 5 weeks until my rehearsal dinner My fiancee is on BOARD - which is always important. I have used the NL Starter Pack yesterday but did it loosely by adding a small dinner and a Lean Cuisine for lunch. I am doing this to shrink my stomach until I get my 4 week kit on Friday. Plus, my birthday is Saturday and my mother wants to take me to dinner, etc. but I told her I absolutely did not need a birthday cake this year! I don't think I can fully begin the program until Saturday. But even just what I did yesterday already has me down to 170 this morning, from a high of 173 after the weekend of bridal shower eating and country cookin' from fiancee's mom. I am so happy about my package coming!!

So far I LOVE the mint chocolate hot cocoa - so wonderful and warming with cold weather approaching! I have 6 supplements and a bar left from my Starter pack so I will eat those today and tomorrow but want to do full supplements starting Saturday a la JEN!!

Jen, I am going to read through the old posts to learn how to do the FULL 2 week supplement program because I am sure you have posted it many times! I am not sure I ordered enough boxes for FULL 2 weeks but I have the 4 week kit plus 3 boxes (2 cakes and 1 veg joe) and 22 bags of the chips and pretzel snacks....
Closed Thread