Packaged Meals and Clinics - Nutrisystem, Medifast, Jenny Craig, Etc For support and questions about diet meal delivery programs, or weight loss clinics that offer prepackaged meals and products.

Old 10-31-2009, 01:34 PM   #1  
I'm not drunk, I have MS.

S/C/G: HW:250/SW://170

Height: 5'8" Apple Shape

Question How do you justify the cost of your food delivery plan?

I am seriously considering NutriSystem. For the past few years however, I have been really "financially impaired", and that's what family is used to. I now have a decent job (if you consider $10 an hour decent, I do!) and will be paying for my car, my rent (live with relative) etc. My children are almost 18, and 20 years old, and both work.

So, how will I justify the cost of NutriSystem to my almost 90 year old grandmother who grew up during the Depression (money has been no problem to her for 50 years though, she can spend $500 on a RUG!) and tells me what I can and can't afford? She eats out quite a bit, so doesn't really know the cost of a month's food at the grocery store.

Any tips you have for justifying to other people that insist on checking into your business? Thanks!

Last edited by ShootingStar; 10-31-2009 at 01:39 PM. Reason: Oh, spelling and stuff...
ShootingStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 02:56 PM   #2  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

Personally I would just say "I can afford it- I've already looked into it" then change the subject.

My mom is like that and honestly sometimes I have to just say "mom drop it or we are going to get into an argument."
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 07:11 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 250+/176/149

Height: 5'7"

I'm good at this. (Although I haven't had to justify the expense to anyone else - just myself.)

I want to eat healthy and nutritious meals. While I could certainly prepare healthy and nutritious meals for less, I don't. What I do is buy lots of healthy and nutritious food that rots in the refrigerator while I subsist on drive through and restaurant meals.

I haven't done the math, but I suspect that I am actually spending less on food now. And FINALLY actually EATING healthy and nutritious meals.
hhichick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 01:59 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 207/200/135

Height: 5'8

I just say "It's not a forever type of thing and I am prepared to fund it for the time being". I am using my diet delivery program to help me get used to seeing regular portion sizes and also get to know what foods I should be eating to help me lose weight. I am a terrible portion controller, I usually just eat what is put on my plate with no idea exactly what is going into me.

I tell people that at most this will be for 6 months to a year, and if I even lose no weight, but maintain and get to the point where I can judge how much and what to eat for my needs, then it will be money well spent!
Casandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 10:59 PM   #5  
I'm not drunk, I have MS.

S/C/G: HW:250/SW://170

Height: 5'8" Apple Shape

Great answers, thank you!
ShootingStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 03:58 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 341/209.1/160

Height: 5'8"

I don't plan on being on this forever..but when I figure that me and the OH usually go out to breakfast at least once a week and that alone is 30 dollars..and then I usually spend 100 dollars on groceries in a week, and then usually eat out two times a week which is another 25 to 30..that's 160 for the two of us a week which is less than I am spending in a week for Diet to Go. He has to sorta fend for himself now but he works at a grocery stores that feeds him half the time and other than that he eats all that cheap processed food (he's one of those guys that can eat whatever and never gain an ounce)....so I think overall we end up spending a little more but not much more.
kerbear879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 08:24 AM   #7  
It's either Now or Now

S/C/G: 185/ticker/140

Height: 5'4"

How about "It's none of your business" ?

That's the route I'd take. The more you justify your life to other people, the more entitled they feel to ask you to justify it to them. So better focus on the real issue, which is "I don't have to justify it to you."
Itstime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 12:18 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 155/98.2/100

Height: 4'10.5"

Since I've been doing Medifast, my husband and I are saving a ton of money on eating out. We probably eat out a max of 2-3 times a week now, whereas before I was on MF, it'd be more like 5-6.

I'm not saving money by any means with MF, but much of the cost is offset by the money we save from eating out. And the health benefits in just 10 short weeks have been priceless for me.
chickapea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 01:32 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 271/271/175

Height: 5'6" restart 11/6/17

I can spend it on this now, or insulin, hi blood pressure meds, heart meds on down the road!
BetsyAnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 07:19 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 156/156/126

Height: 5' 2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShootingStar View Post
I am seriously considering NutriSystem. For the past few years however, I have been really "financially impaired", and that's what family is used to. I now have a decent job (if you consider $10 an hour decent, I do!) and will be paying for my car, my rent (live with relative) etc. My children are almost 18, and 20 years old, and both work.

So, how will I justify the cost of NutriSystem to my almost 90 year old grandmother who grew up during the Depression (money has been no problem to her for 50 years though, she can spend $500 on a RUG!) and tells me what I can and can't afford? She eats out quite a bit, so doesn't really know the cost of a month's food at the grocery store.

Any tips you have for justifying to other people that insist on checking into your business? Thanks!
Oh, how very fortunate you are to still have your grandmother with you. I'm assuming you and your children live with her.

It can be difficult to recognized when boundaries are crossed. However, no one needs to justify anything to anyone. You don't have to justify your decision to purchase NutriSystem anymore then your grandmother needs to justify her purchase of a $500 rug.

One needs not respond to NOYB questions.
Theresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 09:30 AM   #11  

S/C/G: Started Cal Counting on 1/4/16

Height: 5'10"

You can sound like a Loreal commercial and say, "because I'm worth it!".
JerseyPAGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 11:02 PM   #12  

I tend to go by whether or not it's working for me, am I staying full or at least satisfied, good/bad reviews on the different foods, etc. then compare it to the other programs and average the price to the good foods. Then whichever seems the most good meals at the most reasonable cost, I go with them. Also keep in mind, there are ALWAYS some kind of deals you can find on the net or in the local stores that are worth looking for.
FattyFatFat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 11:36 AM   #13  

Height: 5'3

I love the because I'm worth it answer. You have to believe that for your whole life not just your diet.
2Bees is offline   Reply With Quote