Packaged Meals and Clinics - Nutrisystem, Medifast, Jenny Craig, Etc For support and questions about diet meal delivery programs, or weight loss clinics that offer prepackaged meals and products.

Old 01-24-2010, 10:56 AM   #31  

S/C/G: 250/ticker/170

Height: 6'1"

ah, ok. i always thought it was around 140-160 (shipping) per week. i know i've looked at it before and it only lets you get a weeks worth of food at a time, which is why i thought of it like that.
fiveminutes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 11:59 AM   #32  

S/C/G: 156/156/126

Height: 5' 2"

The majority of people do not stay on these packaged diets, but the companies are making lots of money as there are always new people trying them. What with 7 out of 10 American adults overweight, there will always be a market. Manufactur2rs spend big bucks to advertising firms to get people on their products.

There is NO MAGIC in these foods, none of them. The only thing is the convenience, if you can put up with the taste, not to mention that you must have several hundred to toss out the window every month.

I have been on their web sites and read their ingredients. One famous bar contains 6 artificial sugar alcohols, including maltitol syrup. Anything with maltitol syrup will double me up with abdominal pain.

My sister asked me how I lost my weight. She was thinking of getting on Medifast, but couldn't afford it, so I suggested she do what I did to lose my weight.

My suggestions to her were:

Cut your food consumption in half. YES IN HALF!
Don't have seconds, EVER!
Eat healthy foods, fruit, vegetables and lean meats.
Eat several small meals per day. I eat six.
Drink lots of water.

One of my meals used to be a Pria nutrition bar (110 calories) while I was losing weight. Now that I've lost the weight, I'm allowing myself a Luna nutrition bar (180 calories) for woman. These cost $1.00 each and contain lots of vitamin and minerals and soy protein. I buy them at Wal-Mart in a box of 6 for $5.00. A box containing 7 Medifast bars (110 calories) would cost me $16.25 plus shipping. There is nothing magical about all these different diets. Ever take a look at what famous brand diet bars which are outdated or nearly so are selling on eBay? Ridiculous! People must think they have something magical in them. That's all I can figure out.

When I saw my sister, last week she looked fantastic. She is losing weight just by cutting her portions in half. She's choosing healthy foods, eating smaller more frequent meals and is never hungry.

On my diet, you save money because you are eating half of the food you ate before. So your grocery money stretches further.

Last edited by Theresa; 01-24-2010 at 12:02 PM.
Theresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 03:46 PM   #33  

S/C/G: 250/ticker/170

Height: 6'1"

remember though, what works for you doesn't work for everyone. i for one, have absolutely no portion control. i could easily eat a nachos bell grande, three soft tacos and a burrito supreme and a large coke from taco bell just for lunch, then sit down and have a nice big dinner. i don't have portion control, and i don't have as much will power as i would like. i'm going with lean cuisine because i actually like their food, and the plans they give you, the always have you eat tons of fruits and veggies for your snack and with your meals. to lose weight before, becuase i knew i had no portion control, i would starve myself, eat every other day or every two days. with lean cuisine i can eat healthy and still lose weight. i think eating lean cuisine for a while on their plan will help me learn portion control and give me the will power that i do need to continue to maintain my weight when i hit my goal weight. i know there is no magic in these foods to where i will be magically at my goal weight tomorrow, but it's a helpful tool for people like me who need to have everything written down on what you should eat to unlearn all of your bad habits and learn new healthy, good habits.

Last edited by fiveminutes; 01-24-2010 at 03:47 PM.
fiveminutes is offline   Reply With Quote