Packaged Meals and Clinics - Nutrisystem, Medifast, Jenny Craig, Etc For support and questions about diet meal delivery programs, or weight loss clinics that offer prepackaged meals and products.

Closed Thread

Old 09-28-2010, 01:04 PM   #196  

I'm still hanging in there. Crazy busy the past two weeks or I would have checked in sooner. I've been on Bistro for four months now. Their customer service is incredible. The problem I am having here lately is that I am getting almost the exact same food week after week.

Lately I open my box only to find the same food again and again. Its wonderful food, but after a while, it gets old if it's the same stuff. I love steak and lobster, but if I had it every week, I would probably not love it so much anymore. I will maybe get one or two different ones each week, otherwise the weeks are exact repeats. It's been 5 weeks of the same food basically. I asked them about 6 or 7 meals that I hadn't seen in a while (was looking over older menu's):

Santa Barbara Chicken
Stuffed Cajun Chicken
Blackened Chicken Breast
Teriyaki Chicken
Chicken Cordon Blue
Chicken with gravy and black lentils
Bali Chicken

I was told that they are probably gone for good (not sure if they will come back she said). Darn....I like this food a lot, but I really wish there was more variety (there was when I started). I had to add the chili's back (even though they bother my IBS) just to get more variety! I'm noticing that they only seem to have about 12 lunches and 12 dinners tops (I don't get their breakfasts or snacks). I guess with them no longer having Biggest Loser, some changes have been made. I thought there was more of a rotation, but I'm noticing less and less selection. Shoot......

I'm going to keep trying to hang in there. I may try something else for a while just for a change of pace, and come back to Bistro. We'll see.
Old 09-28-2010, 11:05 PM   #197  

Lisa I am also noticing the same thing. At first thought it was just me. Under the Biggest Loser Meal Plan I felt like the variety was greater. After switching over I didn't see any major additions show up (i do not include Mushrooms so that may exclude alot of meals) but regardles started to get bored and weight loss for me with Bistro hasn't been so great. I was averagiing about 4-5lbs in month and I weigh in at 240sh. With Diet-2-Go I did it for 10 weeks lost 19 first month and I think another 5 the second month. So time for change for me. I just drafted an email and and sent it off to put my account on hold. I may try DTG again but this time not the Low Carb plan. Or I may try Seattle Sutton or even consider Biggest Loser under ediets. I will let you know which route I choose. I too may return later to Bistro but just now I think I need the break.
Old 09-29-2010, 01:59 AM   #198  

Hey Tzoavva! Good to see you! It's great to know that it's not just me. I thought the same thing too. I thought maybe it was just me being on this too long, and getting sick of the food. I was sure there was more variety when I started on Biggest Loser too. I had to go back over my old menu's to see that it was not my imagination. You know I have to be honest in saying that I went to Ediets Biggest Loser site, and the food looks incredible (and I do mean incredible)! I wasn't expecting that. I mean downright yummy looking. What I could not help but notice is that they have 30 dinners and 30 lunches! That's a lot of choice!!!!!!!!!!! You can pick your meals every week creating your own very specific variety for breakfast, lunch and dinner. I like that.

They all look so good. There were only one or two that looked like food I would not want to eat due to my personal taste. That's the variety I wish they had here darn't! Not only that, but their breakfasts look really good! That chicken apple sausage they put in many of the breakfasts looks incredible! I remember Aidells Chicken and Apple Sausage, and wonder if that's their supplier. God I loved those!

God I am so torn here. The only bad thing is that you cannot drop something like snacks or breakfasts. You can throw it away or do whatever with it, but they send you the whole program (breakfast, lunch, dinner and a snack) so there is no further discount to drop something. They did offer me a 10% off for the life of the program if I wanted to sign up (she said it is a promotion they have going on right now), so I am leaning in that direction for now. It's cheaper and I would get all meals and snacks, and not really have to buy anything else if i didn't want to.

I must admit that some of the breakfasts would probably be eaten by me as they do look pretty good, and others I could pawn off on my BF or something. I am not so interested in the snacks at all. They do look very healthy, and good for people who do not want any sweets in their diet, and love nuts and dried fruit (lots of pumpkins seeds and trail mix stuff). I would probably still have my cup of cocoa at night or one of those scrumptious Chocolate Strawberry or Chocolate Mint Zone bars instead (can't be without my chocolate)!

The thing that has me worried is that they use regular gel packs (and of course they swear up and down that they have no problems with that system). I have serious doubts about that when I have had a few near misses (and one full blown defrost) with Bistro who packages stuff very well, and using the best method which is absolutely dry ice. They are also not as friendly there. I have to admit that their reps are not very warm and bubbly if you know what I mean (and I've called now twice in two weeks). I am seriously considering giving them a try since fall is here. I would only do this one during the fall and winter, and then maybe switch back to Bistro for the spring and summer depending on what my situation is at the time. It is getting cooler here now. I am going out of town this weekend, but when I get back, I think I will switch for a bit and just see what it is like. If it disappoints me, I know I can go back to Bistro. I thought about jenny Craig again too, but they have the worst variety of all. I always die on that one. Its great if you love soup soup soup soup soup (though the french toast and the desserts were always wonderful)!

I'll let you know how I make out!
Old 09-29-2010, 02:22 AM   #199  

S/C/G: 295/tkr/195

Height: 5'9"

JOyful - Sorry to hear you had a tough week! I had a no loss week recently, so I know how you feel! Hang in there and keep on track - I bet you do great this week.

Lisa and Tvoavva - Do you have a lot of options turned off for meals? Over the last 7 weeks, I've gotten 23 different lunches, 23 different dinners and 15 different breakfasts. That's with shellfish turned off. I'm not tired of them yet, but maybe someday... Let us know how the other plans turn out -- would be nice to know about alternative, just in case!
Old 09-29-2010, 03:05 AM   #200  

I have certain meals turned off that I honestly can't eat, but when I look at the meals I have been personally given over the past 5 weeks, and add up the meals I have turned off, I still come up with 12 or 13 options including the ones I have turned off. What matters to me is that I am still getting the same variety of lunches and dinners irrespective of the meals I have turned off. This is every week. This has been my experience. It is what it is. It's what I have experienced, and I have been on this program for a little over 4 months.

I think we need to share honest feedback out here good or bad (whether it jives with someone else's experience or not). It doesn't lessen the credibility or reality of our feelings or our experiences. I notice some people who are missing in action, and that's probably because they are leery of coming out and saying anything negative. This is not a sale site so please share! It's vital that we all feel comfortable enough to share out here good or bad, otherwise I would not be interested in coming here anymore for honest feedback. I've been getting the same menu for weeks and weeks. If I am to do the math and take what I have as "turned off" meals, and take what I have been given for the past 5 weeks, I come up with about 12 meals for lunch and 12 meals for dinner or close to it give or take a meal here and there. Too many meatloafs and chili's for me (I also notice that the chicken seems tougher lately as if maybe there is a new supplier or something). I have meals building up in my freezer that I just can't look at anymore. If you love meatloaf and chili, I am sure you are indeed getting more variety. I've never seen so much meatloaf and chili on a meal plan before in my life. If you are getting the variety you need, God bless.

Oh and Tzoavva one other thing that was a bit encouraging about the new Biggest Loser. They have 4 warehouses that food is shipped from. My closest center is only a state away, so I may be only dealing with a one day transit time, which would be a great change of pace for me (and make up for the fact that they do not use dry ice)!

I'll let you know how I like the program. If it's awful or something, I will be back. I must say that their food looks truly incredible, and exactly the kind of food that would be less likely to put me off. More fish variety, pork that looks yummy, and more traditional turkey dishes. That was another thing that was making me crazy. Normally I love turkey to death, but I am not thrilled with the turkey here (which I hear a lot of), but I have eaten it anyway. I will miss the lovely customer service people at Bistro very much.

Last edited by Lisa1978; 09-29-2010 at 03:23 AM. Reason: typo city
Old 09-29-2010, 08:29 AM   #201  

Lisa you hit it spot on about everythiing. I love Bistro don't get me wrong but after the BLMP was abruptly stopped I figured my variety with Bistro would increase. The only item I have turned off is mushrooms and as I said earlier I saw a greater variety the first 5-6 weeks I was on the program when they sponsored the BLMP. I know the variety exists cause they toss one thing here are there that is new but when you get an almost identical menu with just one or two items different you just feel like your getting burned out. If my results were better on the scale I may have decided to stiick it out but I expected better results and I know I was sticking to the program and workinig out to much so all this has just made me feel like it is time again for a change. We pay a good amount of $$ for our meals we should at least be enjoying them not once in a while but more then less. Another thing i noticed last couple of weeks is the seal on the meals are torn. Not sure if this is happening because things are being repackaged in the new box covers or what but one or two at first was OK but this order I think at least 5-6 of my meals were cut open.

Lisa I did JC years ago too and I am not sure if I would do it again to many food not in freezer and made me weary about eating what is it called I think freeze dried or something like that. Anyway I prefer fresh meals that you feel you could have cooked. That is why Bistro has been good to me on that part it felt like food I could cook if I had the time. ediets BLMP looks great I agree the only concern is as you said they don't use dry ice...so summer heat waves hopefully are gone so now may be a good time to try them. I need to find out where the nearest center is. I am in the DC Metro area. Any chance you recall if one is near by? I also looked on the internet to see if anyone had blogged their ediet Biggest Loser Meal Plan experience yet and didn't find anything. Only thing I recall reading is ediets portions are smaller. which is fine with me since I need to eat more then 1200 calaories I will supliment with the snacks that Bistro offers. I thiink I have tracked down preaty much all of their vendors they use. This way I will not miss something I enjoy with them. I am sure after 10 weeks of another program I will want a change again which is what it is all about, eating healty, tryiing to lose weight, not having to cook ....at least for me at this point of my busy busy life.

.......soooo stay tuned for updates. Need to figure when I need to order to have it come riight after my final bistro box arrives next week.
Old 09-29-2010, 09:30 AM   #202  

Hey Tzoavva, I think you may be in luck. I was told that mine would ship out of their NY warehouse (I'm in PA now). I would never do this program in the spring or summer, but I'm thinking like you are right now (perfect time to try this as we sail into fall and winter). They are offering a 10% promotion right now, which is perfect timing for me.

I think the rep said that you need to let them know of any changes by Friday at noon for the following week. She said that if I decided to join this week BEFORE Friday, I would get a shipment next week for sure (either Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday). Once you are a member, you can make changes as late as Friday. I told her that I already have so much stockpiled food (have yet another order coming already tomorrow), and that I would not want a delivery until the week of October 11-15th. She said they could arrange that without a problem, and hold my first shipment until that week (you can choose to have it start when you want it to). I already let Bistro know Monday that I do not want a shipment for next week, so I am squared away there (though I will need to break the news that I have to put things on hold for longer). Today is the cut off at Bistro (Wednesdays) so if you want to start Ediets for next week, you would need to contact Bistro right away to stop the order from coming next week and them billing you this week, and then contact Ediets to make sure you get a shipment next week.

I've just got so much stockpiled food now. I can't look at half of it anymore. I'm so burned out. I wish I could hold out a while longer until the weather really cools off completely, but I just can't keep going with this same food or I will lose my mind. I guess I will just have to brave it with the gel packs and hope for the best. If its a disaster and the food only looks good, I know I can always switch back. I do remember doing Purfoods which is owned by the same company, and their chicken was the best chicken I have ever tasted of any diet. Very fluffy and fresh. Sounds like this is their most gourmet offering of all three diets. The food really does look outrageously delicious. Only a couple of chili dishes, and maybe one or two meatloaf dishes with the kind of variety I need.

A warning though. They are not warm and fuzzy like Bistro. Not particularly friendly. I was a little put off by that, but not enough to have it be the deal breaker to at least see how I like the plan. They also do not cater to allergies and stuff like that, so if you don't want mushrooms, you have to see which dishes have them and not order them or pick them off. I was blown away by how scrumptious the food looks, which is why I kept finding myself going back there. I can be brutally honest because I don't think there are any interns out here to shoot me down.......yet. You will know when you get one because they suddenly need to make a disclosure after everything you say to let people know that they may not experience the same thing (like we wouldn't know that on our own, or that this person is simply sharing their experience that may differ from our own). I can make up my own mind, and am grateful for honest feedback! lol!

Anyway good luck Tzoavva. I will keep in touch and let you know how I make out on this. I will probably come back to Bistro anyway. Just not right away!

Editing to say that I just signed up. I found out that you can pick your own delivery day! That's awesome. You can pick either Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday each week. I asked that question for you, and the rep said that if you live in the DC area, your shipment would also come out of NY. You can change your delivery day at any time if you find that another day would be better for you. I hated to make that call to Bistro, but I did and they were so sweet. They totally understood, and said that they have about 10 or 12 new meals coming within the next couple of months (they have been hearing the outcry, so we are not alone or imagining a thing my friend)! I am pretty sure I will be back eventually to try the new foods when they finally do come out and circulate. I love Biggest Loser's little interactive tool where you choose which meal you want, and save it until you get your whole week set up that way. It even tells you in red, the cutoff date for the order you are setting up. Excited! Please note again that their customer service leaves a lot to be desired. Asking simple questions is like pulling teeth. If the food is really good, I can live with this aspect, but I won't like it (and if you are asking a consumer to pay over $600,00 a month for food, you should be prepared to answer questions). Good luck to everybody no matter which plan you are doing. I will pop in and let you know how I make out (and you can count on me for honest feedback when I do)! The good...the bad...and the ugly!

Last edited by Lisa1978; 09-29-2010 at 02:38 PM.
Old 09-29-2010, 08:34 PM   #203  

Lisa thanks again for the valuable info. I actually emailed Bistro last night to put a hold on my order till further notice so this weeks shipment is the last one for the time being. I know I will come back but just need a change. So this weeks shipment will put me thru all of next week. I have company comming over at the end of next week (for a week) so was goiing to take a brake a week and start ediets. Since the special may go away I will go ahead and register and have the shipment sent next week and freeze it. I don't want to delay the delivery to the following week because I may be touring my freinds around and don't want a box to show up while they are here. So I will get one week and then pause it one week. Once they leave i can start right away and make sure I have another one rolling in right behind my guests departure. So technically Lisia we will start the same week only my shipment will be from the week before. I figure on week two we should be on the same cycle and can share comments. I will create an eDiets thread on here and start posting there since it will be more geared to anyone interested in finding out about their plan.

So for now I will still read this thread but don't to disrepect the intention of this one. I love bistro just need a brake and I will be back that is for sure. I will miss you all...good luck on your weight loss and take care for now. Lisa hope to see you on the ediets thread.
Old 09-30-2010, 12:11 AM   #204  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa1978 View Post
I think we need to share honest feedback out here good or bad (whether it jives with someone else's experience or not). It doesn't lessen the credibility or reality of our feelings or our experiences. I notice some people who are missing in action, and that's probably because they are leery of coming out and saying anything negative.
Lisa, I imagine this is directed at me and I'm sorry if you misinterpreted my questions. I honestly wanted to know if you had a lot of options turned off or not... It was in no way intended to minimize your feelings. We all have different tastes and different tolerances for foods. I agree that you should definitely be able to make those comments and I imagine they are helpful to some people. By the same token, I should be able to express my experience with the program without suffering any backlash. I hope you find the next program more palatable -- best of luck to you!
Old 09-30-2010, 06:18 AM   #205  

You have indeed been very "expressive" Jen (from day one in fact). I remember this only to well, as after I relayed my disappointment over a shipment that came completely defrosted (and another person expressed their concerns over the exact same issue as well), you suddenly appeared on the scene, and felt the need to do damage control and let people know that they should not be scared off by this. That this not may not happen to them (as if they would not have known this on their own)! A disclaimer was insulting, and rather unnecessary.

I think it's a given that we are only giving our personal opinions, and can only speak to what has happened to us on a personal level (I think the site already has a disclaimer in place). I would certainly never assume the right to speak for you or feel the need to couch anything you have said. I would never feel the need to put out a disclaimer after you have "expressed" something that wasn't robotically cheerful and perfect. You see I would find that to be rather rude, and so I would not consider doing this to you or anyone else. I would not want you to feel uncomfortable about coming out here, and expressing yourself fully for fear that your personal experience will be analyzed, or have disclaimers put out on your behalf. I do not have a vested interest in the company, and can't imagine why anyone would take anything we say out here personally enough to feel the need to do that. I would see this as honest feedback from real clients who are going to share the good, and the bad. I've had lots of positive things to say about Bistro out here (and in fact some have signed up with the program because of those positive comments because they have told me as much).

Then after a couple of us came out recently to express our concerns over the fact that we are getting the same food week after week, once again you were indeed very "expressive" and "helpful" Jen. Maybe the problem is with the foods we have turned off. You should feel very positive as you have indeed been very free to "express" your feelings. You are quite "expressive." I hope you continue to do so. You are doing an excellent job for Bistro. I am sure that people will feel confidant in expressing any issues they may have with the program, with you around to assist them. You make a wonderful cheerleader. I'm sure I will be back as Bistro has such wonderful customer service, and the people are lovely (Ediets is known for their horrid customer service as found by looking through older threads...if they are still out here). Good luck to you as well. Enjoy, and have a wonderful day! God bless.

Last edited by Lisa1978; 09-30-2010 at 07:51 AM. Reason: typo city again......
Old 09-30-2010, 08:07 AM   #206  
I'm a SWIMMER!

S/C/G: 209.4/149.2/150

Height: 5'9

Beef Tips in Red Wine Sauce - Simply one of the best MEALS (not to mention diet food) that I've ever eaten!!! YUM!

Wow....this thread hasn't seen this much action in a minute! Sorry that the program hasn't worked out for some. Please let us know how this new Biggest Loser diet plan works out. I checked it out, but I'm still in the "loving Bistro MD cheerleading squad"!

Personally...I'm on week 4 and I've been astounded at the variety, but then again the only thing I have removed from my meal plan is eggs, so that could be the case with the limited meals. In any event, this diet is quite expensive and I agree that you should most certainly be HAPPY with the foods, whatever your restriction.

I agree with all about Bistro's customer service...its A+ and for me, that counts for alot. If I have any problem, Bistro corrects it with no questions asked....a package arrives damaged, they send replacements stat! They even allow you name your favorite dishes so that they will ship more of those foods to you. I could go on and on about the quality of their foods and the healthy sized portions (I love to eat...obviously)

One last thing, I've noticed that since I've started exercising regularly I've noticed not just the scale moving down, but inches are melting off. Not to mention the overall physical and mental health it has given me.

As far as the food, I feel like a celebrity, like I have an in home chef cooking for me daily. Do I love EVERY MEAL? No...but I do LOVE most! And for the ones I don't absolutely want run red lights to get back home to, they are at least tolerable. I mean...what's the alternative...cook for yourself? Unless you are the galloping gourmet, with a kitchen the size of MTV's Cribs, and 5 frigs in the house, I doubt anyone could store, cook and prepare the variety of foods provided by Bistro MD, not to mention the time, skill and cullinary degree it would take to be able to make that kind of food.

I HATE cooking and for ME, I absolutely love it! That said, if I don't lose at least 10 lbs/month, I'll drop it like a hot potato...cuz I KNOW I'm doing everything I should be to lose the weight (ergo exercising and drinking plenty of water).

I'm so thankful for boards like this where I can get all sides of the coin, but in the end, I believer every individual makes up their own minds...

Last edited by joyfulloser; 09-30-2010 at 08:40 AM. Reason: spelling correction
Old 09-30-2010, 08:12 PM   #207  

Wow – seriously Lisa? I'm really surprised.
The comment that has you so upset (here) was purely informational. You indicated you had a problem with shipping and I wanted people to know that I hadn’t. In fact, I even said that people “might not” have a problem to acknowledge the fact that you did. There’s been enough discussion about it here that it would have scared me off of the program before I started and that would have been unfortunate since it has worked for me.

I didn’t “suddenly” appear on the scene – I had been posting for 3 weeks before that date. I’m not a Bistro plant and I have no vested interest in the company. In fact, if you read my posts I think they’ve been more critical of the food than not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa1978 View Post
I would never feel the need to put out a disclaimer after you have "expressed" something that wasn't robotically cheerful and perfect. You see I would find that to be rather rude, and so I would not consider doing this to you or anyone else.
This is exactly what you did -- the only personal attacks have come from you. While you are vehemently defending your right to express your personal opinion and experience, you’re also attempting to deny me the same right. I made no attempt to put you down or tell people that you were wrong. There was no "disclaimer." I simply stated what had happened to me. As far as I can tell, the only real issue is that my personal experience is different from yours and I “rudely” shared it with others. Kudos, you’re doing an excellent job of creating a forum where others can freely share their experiences – keep up the good work. No response necessary - there's no need to clog this thread up with more discussion.

Last edited by Jen516; 09-30-2010 at 08:17 PM.
Old 09-30-2010, 10:14 PM   #208  

I didn't expect you to get it Jen. I really didn't. You are a piece of work. I won't be responding to you any further (You are as obnoxious as you are clueless). I gotcha just fine hun (loud and clear the first time).
Old 10-01-2010, 07:47 AM   #209  
I'm a SWIMMER!

S/C/G: 209.4/149.2/150

Height: 5'9

4 Cheese Ravioli = ECTASY!!! Oh and sweet potato pancakes and turkey sausage = GREAT WAY TO START THE DAY! In the 4 weeks I've been on this program, I've still yet to try the fruit crepes, but they sound devine. The mirror is LOVING me this week, but I feel that my boobies are starting to deflate...lol...this all being a sign that I will be having a swoosh of weight loss this Monday! can't wait to weigh in!

Thanks Jen for the encouragement. I've been down this weight loss road before so I know about the stalls, no weight loss weeks, etc., but somehow it doesn't make it any better It does help though to hear it from someone who's lost the kind of weight that you have. Keep up the good work.

Hey listen...this program may not suit every person's physical or financial needs, it is simply ONE means to an end. I don't even think I've LOVED every meal I cooked for myself, so I don't have any unreasonable expectations that I should LOVE every meal from Bistro. That said, to each his/her own, whatever "floats ya boat"...do onto others as you'd have them do to you...ok...that's all the words of wisdom I have for ya this morning! lol!

NOW...back to Bistro....what's on your plate today? nomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnom!
Old 10-01-2010, 09:38 AM   #210  

Thanks Joyful for getting me back in the right frame of mind! I have the Sweet Potato Pancakes for b-fast this morn! That light syrup is so much better than I would have thought... Lunch is Chicken Pesto - I know I have had that before, but I can't remember if I liked it or not. Then dinner is at Oktoberfest, doh! Oh well, I refuse to completely skip all the fun things -- it'll be a good exercise in moderation. I just wish I didn't have to weigh-in tomorrow morning!
Closed Thread