Packaged Meals and Clinics - Nutrisystem, Medifast, Jenny Craig, Etc For support and questions about diet meal delivery programs, or weight loss clinics that offer prepackaged meals and products.

Old 03-24-2009, 08:53 PM   #1  
it's always something

Default Has the economy affected your decision to use diet meal delivery?

Just curious

Has the economy affected your decision to use diet meal delivery services? What if you've been using it successfully, have you quit or cut back?
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 10:46 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 162/152/122

Height: 5'7"

funny you should ask this- I was thinking about nutri system, but I can't figure out if the program, is really about portion size, or if there is more too it than that... if it's more - I would pay up...

sunspell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 11:16 PM   #3  
klc

Great question. A big impact that I've seen (as a meal delivery addict) isn't the question of whether I'd so meal delivery. Yes, I will do it. The question is which program I'll do in this economy. My all time favorite premium program that I've been with for 6 months changed shipping packaging, food packaging, and even worse, meal type, while maintaining their premium price. I'm assuming that all of this was due to trying to cut cost. Because of this, I'm changing back to another meal delivery plan that doesn't offer gourmet food (that the other plan is moving away from anyhow) but does offer solid fresh food and is aggressively adjusting their price point to woo new customers (or old ones to come back). So the answer is yes, the economy has impacted my decisions, but only in response to the companies reaction.
klc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 12:41 AM   #4  
Southside White Sox Fan

KLC, who is the company you are now considering? I may have to leave Jenny Craig at some point. The high carb levels may be an issue for me.
Vickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 12:42 PM   #5  
Operator265

I know some folks have said that Medifast, et al, is so expensive, but, when I've been on it, I saved money in what I'm not spending at the grocery store. I'd have to look into the other plans to see if they "wash" against my grocery bill.

Thing is, I like preparing my own food now that I found ways to do it that don't take up a lot of my time. Also, I love having fresh fruits around. I'm also preparing to get some veggies and berries growing from seed to go into the garden I'm starting, but that has been in the plan for a couple of years now, it's just that I'm probably leaving my shift work job to return to college, so I'll have the time for it. Hopefully, it will also help bring my DD and me closer to each other.

Edited to add: Keep in mind, there is just my DD and myself, so my food reduces the amount I buy. For someone who has a larger family, the delivery food would be considered more of an addition to the food bill.

Last edited by Operator265; 03-26-2009 at 12:47 PM.
Old 03-26-2009, 06:39 PM   #6  
Turtle Extraordinaire

I plan to stay on home delivery plans until we can no longer afford it. I LOVE this method for losing weight. I can't believe how well it's working for me. Fortunately, DH is extremely supportive and has said if we need to cut costs, we'll do it elsewhere.
LaurenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 10:13 PM   #7  
klc

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurenH View Post
I plan to stay on home delivery plans until we can no longer afford it. I LOVE this method for losing weight. I can't believe how well it's working for me. Fortunately, DH is extremely supportive and has said if we need to cut costs, we'll do it elsewhere.
Lauren, . I am so spoiled by it now just because of the convenience, that I'm gonna keep doing meal delivery, it's just a matter of which one.

Quote:
I know some folks have said that Medifast, et al, is so expensive, but, when I've been on it, I saved money in what I'm not spending at the grocery store.
It's not the same for everyone, but for me it's either cheaper, or comparable, to do meal delivery (but I'm single and don't cook, so I may not be a good litmus test)

Quote:
KLC, who is the company you are now considering? I may have to leave Jenny Craig at some point. The high carb levels may be an issue for me.
Vickie, I've gone back to eDiets (they were my first 'non-freeze dried' plan, and are responsible for turning me into a meal delivery junkie a year ago). They've got some stoopid crazy promotions going on right now (free shipping, pay for 6 days get 7, etc). There is better food on some of the other programs, but it's such a great bargain (and it does work) that it's hard to pass up. Also, you add fruit and milk to it. So for me, summer is a great time to do it since I have all sorts of fruit planted in my yard. You need to look at it tho, to see if the carbs will do you in. It is not nearly as much of a hi-protein diet as some of the others, but you can select your food, so you have some control over it.
Old 03-28-2009, 01:10 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 138/128/115

Height: 5'2"

Default replacement food

Is anyone designing their own meal plan with Lean Cuisine, meal bars, low-cal snacks, etc.? I am currently on Jenny Direct, but I can't pay this kind of money for long in this economy!
diane1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 02:22 PM   #9  

there is a gal that started up a group called Jenny on your own.. that may be of help to you .......
Just search down in the list we are on and you will find her. She has worked out a pretty good system of replacements for the jenny products that you can find in the regular stores.
crenita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 03:11 PM   #10  
Learning to fly again

S/C/G: 196/ticker/130

Height: 5' 2"

Not changing my plan. Right now losing the weight and getting healthy is pretty much the number one priority in my life.
Fortunately NS has not changed its prices either (from the ads I get from the US site, they are locking them in for all of 2009).
What I am noticing more, is the grocery bill getting higher and higher when all we buy is basic things like milk and produce, but it's not an option to cut down there. What I am being more mindful of is buying just enough to ensure everything will be eaten while it's still fresh.
Newshinyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 02:55 PM   #11  
klc

As quiet as some of these boards have been over the last few weeks, I think that's an indication that yes, it has.
Old 05-01-2009, 10:36 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 160

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by klc View Post
As quiet as some of these boards have been over the last few weeks, I think that's an indication that yes, it has.
Hi Kathy,

I have been doing Diet-to-Go for several weeks but due to this economy I need to cut back. I love DTG but am thinking about switching to eDiets or something less expensive. How does their food compare to other diet delivery plans you have tried?

Mila
hacamila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 10:37 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 202/192/130

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne 3FC View Post
Just curious

Has the economy affected your decision to use diet meal delivery services? What if you've been using it successfully, have you quit or cut back?
Not sure what you mean by this question. All of us have to live within our budget...no matter what the economy!

So while I can't afford many of the programs I've read about but would love to try, it has nothing to do with the economy.

I guess some people are more worried about their jobs than others, so I'm sure that that has effected their dieting choices. If I thought my husband was in danger of losing his job next week, I definitely wouldn't do this!

I just signed up last month for Nutrisystem. Now I'm shopping around for another diet. So I guess it hasn't really effected me. For that I'm grateful to God.
P31Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 11:55 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 160

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by P31Mom View Post
Not sure what you mean by this question. All of us have to live within our budget...no matter what the economy!

So while I can't afford many of the programs I've read about but would love to try, it has nothing to do with the economy.

I guess some people are more worried about their jobs than others, so I'm sure that that has effected their dieting choices. If I thought my husband was in danger of losing his job next week, I definitely wouldn't do this!

I just signed up last month for Nutrisystem. Now I'm shopping around for another diet. So I guess it hasn't really effected me. For that I'm grateful to God.
How was the NS food? Were you able to lose on it?
hacamila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 02:08 PM   #15  

Can anyone help me find this? A while back some magazine I think Woman's World had a do it yourself plan that was comparable to Jenny Craig. At the time I was thin so it didn't excite me but I could sure use it now.

They used frozen supermarket meals and filled in. It seemed very easy to do and without the expense.

If anyone has this please post. Thanks.

Sheridan
Sheridan is offline   Reply With Quote