Packaged Meals and Clinics - Nutrisystem, Medifast, Jenny Craig, Etc For support and questions about diet meal delivery programs, or weight loss clinics that offer prepackaged meals and products.

Closed Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 11:27 AM   #61  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

You seem to have an answer for everything. Life must be really impossible for you. Many of us have experienced the same things you are experiencing. A crying baby , not much money, not much time. a doctor who just won't do what we think is best for us. Do you think you might be suffering with post partum depression? Maybe you should talk to your doctor about this. As for your diet , if you really want to lose weight you will find a way. You have some good ideas, do what works for you, but I would definetely count calories, that works and won't cost you any money. It will take planning ahead and it will be worth it.

Last edited by bargoo; 04-08-2009 at 11:59 AM.
Old 04-08-2009, 12:03 PM   #62  

S/C/G: 180/ticker/129 or so =)

Height: 5'6.5"

I would like to urge you to reconsider cooking. Cooking is one of the best ways to save money *and* eat higher quality foods.

Some methods of preparation don't require much time. Others take a lot of time to cook, but not much of *your* time. You don't have to cook anything like a fancy meal.

One person already suggested a crock pot. That's a great idea if you have one. You'd be surprised at how versatile they are and there are tons of recipes on the web.

I often have a big pot of soup on the stove. Usually a head of cabbage forms the base and I toss in various things, depending on what's in the fridge (specially leftovers). And leftover soup can become something entirely different the next day with new add-ins.

Someone else suggested chicken breast. I buy the family pack of boneless breast or thigh (thigh is cheaper). Put each piece in a separate baggie and freeze. Defrost one at a time. I smash them flat before I cook them in the frying pan and they only take a few minutes.

One quick meal/snack I sometimes make is to take some sort of whole grain cracker (eg Wasa) then slather with salsa or tomato sauce and top with FF or LF cheese. Pop in the toaster oven to make mini pizzas.

Your idea for shakes sounds a lot like what I do in the summer. I use NF yogurt, water, nonfat powdered milk, and frozen berries/fruits. Frozen berries/fruits are usually much cheaper than fresh and they make the shake into a real treat. Full of terrific nutrients, they are a great idea for *part* of a complete diet.

There are lots of quick recipes that I've never tried (I don't have as many constraints as you do, so I already have plenty of variety to eat). Maybe you could try posting a more targeted question looking for quick-prep recipes?

Last edited by yoyoma; 04-08-2009 at 12:03 PM.
Old 04-08-2009, 12:29 PM   #63  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

A crockpot is a great tool, if you don't have one, you can look at thrift stores for one. I cook beans in the crockpot all the time.

There is also a website I was looking at where a woman is cooking for 3 (or 4?) people/day for $3.33 per day. Her focus is healthy food.

http://melomeals.blogspot.com/

Beans and rice are very cheap. I can get a 20 lb bag of rice for $5 and it lasts forever. Beans are similarly cheap ($1-$2 lb of dried beans). For vegetables, do you have any asian markets? or discount markets? I went to the asian market yesterday and even with 'splurge' items, I walked out with 4 large grocery bags for under $30, all veggies/fruit.

Eating fast food isn't going to get you healthy. Also, it is possible that by eating healthy, you can reduce the need for current medications and future medications.
Old 04-08-2009, 01:27 PM   #64  
Closed

S/C/G: doomed to be fat and ugly fore

Height: doomed to be fat and ugly forever :(

doomed to be fat and ugly forever

Last edited by want2Bthin; 04-08-2009 at 10:07 PM.
Old 04-08-2009, 01:32 PM   #65  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Off topic, I know, but I think most doctors won't do hysterectomies on young women, not because they may not be appropriate for some, but because of the risk of lawsuit if the patient changes her mind. They can have you sign releases promising not to sue up the ying-yang (where ever THAT is), but it doesn't prevent you from suing them later - and a good lawyer will use a long release as PROOF that the doctor knew it was a bad idea in the first place or he wouldn't have asked you to promise not to sue.

Also, while we consider it "good" for pets, we also can't ask, and don't care if our poodle is experiencing hot flashes, dry skin, or sagging belly.

When I worked in social services, I worked with quite a few women who had hysterectomies young and deeply regretted it because of the side effects. Hormone replacement therapy would reduce many of the unpleasant the side effects, but the women I worked with couldn't afford the hormone replacement therapy. Even though some had begged their doctors to do it, many regretted it later and (ironically) blamed the doctor for "jumping the gun," and felt that the doctor would have talked them out of it if they weren't poor women. I can see the doctor's dilemma - damned if you do and damned if you don't, and refusing at least prevents law suits later.
Old 04-08-2009, 01:34 PM   #66  
Closed

Last edited by want2Bthin; 04-08-2009 at 10:07 PM.
Old 04-08-2009, 01:43 PM   #67  

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandalinn82 View Post
In my experience, there are three main things to play with when it comes to groceries...cheap, fast, and healthy. You only get two at once. You can get healthy food cheap, but it takes time to prep. You can get healthy food that is quickly prepared, but it isn't cheap. Cheap, fast food is almost never healthy. One of the variables has to give.
I find this so true. Sadly, you have to make sacrifices somewhere, and you have to decide what you're able and willing to sacrifice.

The problem is that cheap doesn't seem to be something you're able to sacrifice. Your income is what your income is and therefore you're left with either fast and unhealthy or healthy but requiring prep or cook time.

It's a tough decision, but it's the one you have. Because we're on a very tight budget, it's the one my husband face too. We can't afford fast and healthy, so we make compromises where we can.

When one or both of us is feeling poorly, cooking isn't convenient, so we can easily resort to fast and unhealthy, because it's what we can afford. With a little planning, though we can make "almost fast" meals. The techniques I described in the post you didn't like were ways I found that I could cook once and eat 10 times (which is almost as good as not having to cook).

It does sound though like you're at the point where no solution sounds doable to you. I don't have any quick solve solutions for that either, but I do know that a poor diet makes depression worse. Good nutrition and exercise help alleviate depression (but are hard to do when you're depressed, and even harder when you're depressed without much money .

Last edited by kaplods; 04-08-2009 at 01:43 PM.
Old 04-08-2009, 01:51 PM   #68  

Quote:
Originally Posted by want2Bthin View Post
we dont have any asian markets or anything like that.. its all white hillbilly's here, a buisiness like that wouldnt survive here.
Most counties have the resources we've all been mentioning, but they can be quite a drive. If you don't have transportation or a friend who does, Craig's list is a good way to hook up with someone for transportation (as long as you take the precautions you normally would with meeting in person anyone you met online).

I lived in the middle of nowhere once, also, and one way I afforded decent meals was a monthly roadtrip with a friend to a larger city.

There are a lot of great books on the subject of saving money, accessing charitable services, eating healthy on a budget... and even the smallest of libraries can order almost any book in or out of print.

It's not an impossible problem, but it is one that requires work and creativity.
Old 04-08-2009, 01:59 PM   #69  
No description available.

Quote:

Planned Parenthood is OUT.. every time I go there to get a pap smear, Im sore for a week. I cant even wear a seatbelt, because the pressure across my pelvis is uncomfortable. They are not careful or gentle at all. Obviously the workers there could care less about their jobs, and care even less about the patients/clients.

Pap smears are not required for OCPs. You can ask about programs for pills without a pelvic exam.

Last edited by midwife; 04-08-2009 at 02:00 PM.
Old 04-08-2009, 02:15 PM   #70  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Although I don't believe their food is the healthiest, Angel Food ministries is one way to get food for cheap.
http://www.angelfoodministries.com/

Also, I've never lived in an area that didn't have a diverse ethnic community so I'm not sure what would be available. I can't imagine that everyone shops at regular high priced grocery stores. I was recently visiting my family and I went to a grocery outlet and it was awesome. They had tons of stuff on discount for half price of regular grocery stores and lots of healthy stuff. Even my $4 toothpaste was only $1.
Old 04-08-2009, 02:33 PM   #71  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

You sound stressed right now. Remember your baby will grow and will become less demanding. With my youngest son I didn't sit down to eat a meal, for the first three months of his life. He just seemed to know when I was going to have a meal. But he eventually settled into a routine and life, at least at meal times became much easier. I do think you may need someone to talk to as I sense a lot of stress in your posts. Do you have a relative, friend, neighbor, pastor that you can talk to ?
Old 04-08-2009, 03:09 PM   #72  

I understand babies, I have raised 2 myself. How I handled meals was I would make my meal and my babies at the same time and just ate while I fed. Theres no reason you cant do this. Babies need much time and attention, they deserve this. Time will fly and one day they will be teens and not need you much at all. It is then you will miss them needing so much. Love being a mom, love being needed and loved this much. Its special, its temporary. Cherish it.

Babysteps
Old 04-08-2009, 04:04 PM   #73  

If you are losing you health insurance.You will qualify for medicaid since you have a baby.Medicaid covers medications with very small copay.Go to department of Human Services and begin process of filling out application.Doesnt WIC also provide milk,cereal,juice and other few items to you while you child is on WIC?And about cooking, you will have to learn and find time.Soon you child will be eating from the table and I am guessing you want to provide healthy meals for him or her.Thats part of being a mom.
Old 04-08-2009, 04:25 PM   #74  
rainy

Quote:
Its too cold out right now to do any walking.. its 32 degrees outside.. we had nice weather.. go figure, on the days I had to work its nice out, the few days I had off it was back to crappy weather.
Nobody had ever died because they went for a walk with 32 degrees outside. Wear a warm jacket, a scarf and go out! I walked to school everyday since I was a kid, have seen far less than that temperature, with additional rain snow or whatever was coming down from the sky and I'm still here! Better, I can tell you that health improves.

I agree with Bargoo, you seem to have an answer to everything, I'm sorry to tell you but going on a diet, whatever it is, and loosing weight needs some committment and some changes. It's more a matter of being rich-of-committment more than rich-of-money. You may have to eat something you don't like much, maybe you'll like it then or maybe not, but maybe the reward of being loosing weight will make that you actually like it. Or you may just get your butt out with 'just' 32 degrees and have a 30 minutes walk, you go to work, right? How do you? By car? Can you walk to it? I understand if you can't, I cannot either, but better, can you just park your car far enough from it so you'll have a walk or just exit the bus a few stops before and walk till there? You need to apply some flexibility if you want to lose weight, use new ideas (I think you have been given plenty from the members on here), also you know that exercizing will help you with the pain? Yes, because your body produces it's own antinflammatories and painkillers while you exercize, and those are free of charge, but...you need to get out!
On this topic I read a lot of ideas from members, lots of support and understanding, I guess now it's time you try doing something, taking these ideas, adapting them, also you have given cheap or free ideas, honestly, we cannot loose your weight for you, it's you who shall be in charge and decide to do something.
It may not be the right time for you right now, I understand a baby takes way more time than I can even think about, and you may not be in the right condition to follow a diet plan with committment and avoid slip offs, maybe you're stressed, it's very likely, who isn't in these days? So you may decide to take your time, maybe try to pick the healthier options you can get right now, and when you'll be ready try a diet, or try exercizing. This does NOT mean being fat for life, it means recognizing it's something you can't do right now but will commit to do it in future and for the mean time commit to eat as healthy as you can and get as much exercize as you can, finding and trying new options, you don't have to do everything all at the same time but just little steps always take you closer to your goal.

Last edited by rainy; 04-08-2009 at 04:35 PM.

Old 04-08-2009, 07:28 PM   #75  
Closed

Last edited by want2Bthin; 04-08-2009 at 10:08 PM.
Closed Thread