Packaged Meals and Clinics - Nutrisystem, Medifast, Jenny Craig, Etc For support and questions about diet meal delivery programs, or weight loss clinics that offer prepackaged meals and products.

Closed Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 09:56 AM   #496  

S/C/G: 307/see ticker/197

Height: 5'9

Since leaving NS I have been doing WW online and lost another 19lbs (at a MUCH slower pace albeit but I don't think anyone could stay on the NS plan for too long as it's approx 1200 cal a day and that's not realistic for long term). I think NS is AMAZING for giving you a jump start. When I originally started I planned on going on it for a month but I liked the results I got so much I stayed on two and than I liked the convenience so much I stayed on three...and so on and so on...LOL! Before I knew it it was nearly 6 mos and I still had a month to go! But we were going to Florida for 2 weeks and it wasn't convenient to bring all my NS food...so I signed up for WW so that I could still be aware of what I was eating and have some stricter quidelines.

When I joined WW my first shock was the AMOUNT of food I was expected to eat!! I complained that coming from such a strict diet that I was going to GAIN eating what I was supposed to eat to lose!! They agreed that I may gain at first but that I would level off and start to lose again. To my surprise I lost 2lbs my first week on WW (BUT I didn't eat ALL my points which technically I would have been "poo poohed" for! Hee hee). My weight continued to drop...slowly...some weeks with no losses and some with minimal losses and some with a big jump. Now I am eating almost all my points (can't fight the old mentality but honestly...I'm not starving so I can't see it's a problem) and I allow myself the freedom of making poor choices every now and than realizing I can deal with the consequences.

I don't know if I'd go straight from NS to doing it solo...the WW plan works great for me but any plan that teaches you how to eat while eating regular old grocery store food would work I think.

Good choices, smaller portions and water have just become a regular part of life for me now. I don't think I'm on a diet...I've made a lifestyle change and I'm finding it easier and easier to live with. I'm off for the summer and have been LAZY but when the school year starts and the kids are back in school I will get serious with the exersize and make that a regular part of my life also (this will be my biggest challenge!! I'm not a HUGE fan of exercising...BUT if I can learn to love new good for me foods I NEVER ate before I guess I can learn to love exercise! Ha ha!!).

I seriously hope I don't sound know it all or obnoxious here, I am far from done this journey (I still have 42 lbs to go before my goal and than I might hope to go down from there too depending on how 185 looks on my 5'9 frame) but I'm nearing my one year anniversary and I have learned a lot so far.

WOW, I get longwinded!...I hope I answered your question Amanda (in a really long round about way! LOL!)
Old 08-04-2009, 12:36 PM   #497  

good choices and smaller portions are part of my way of eating now, too.
Old 08-04-2009, 01:05 PM   #498  
Finding my wings...

S/C/G: 256/see ticker/156

Height: 5'2 and a freakin' HALF!

Terry - Maybe indulging now and then on your wife's amazing food would allow you to stay more faithful to a long term diet. I've found its the key for me... indulging for special occasions and going out w/ friends (unless it's more than once a week), etc.

Michelle - Thanks! You've really given me food for thought because I was kinda wondering what I'd want to do once I decided to stop NS (I'll probably go about 6 to 8 months to get to my goal, then from there try to ween off) and I think I'll definitely look into the WW thing. Is there a specific link that you would recommend me to go to to check it out and get info?
Old 08-04-2009, 03:45 PM   #499  

You're welcome! I'm glad I could help. I'm pretty sure it's just weightwatchers.com but if not google it and it will be easy to find. But there's also a WW support group on this site too that I have been frequenting...I'm sure you could find more answers there and maybe even a little quicker than the WW site.
Old 08-04-2009, 05:15 PM   #500  
Learning to fly again

S/C/G: 196/ticker/130

Height: 5' 2"

Hey!
Long time no see. July was pretty much a bust for me and I actually gained a couple of lbs. As of today I am back on NS fully, although now I have to work at keeping the cravings away which I had already conquered.

Congratulations everybody you are doing so great! and Kiki, so glad to see you popping in and giving us an update on your life post NS. One note though, I don't always count how many calories I eat on NS, but when I do I end up at around 1500 - 1600, which is more sustainable I think.

Terry: Welcome! Like Amanda said, maybe indulgining every once in a while might work for sanity's sake at least. My only suggestion is to wait for a couple of months. When I started I followed the plan perfectly for a few months, I feel it got me better used to the size portions and schedule. And then I started eating out every few weeks as a treat.

I have to come by more often now to keep myself more accountable, so look forward to my sensless blabbing
Old 08-05-2009, 12:09 AM   #501  

Newshinyme, totally more sustainable! Thanks for the input...I know when I asked the councellor on the phone he said something like "I think it's around 1200" which didn't give me alot of faith in his answer but I never actually counted the calories myself (it makes my brain hurt to think that much!! Hahahaha)! Good to "see" you still doing well!!!
Old 08-05-2009, 03:18 AM   #502  
Finding my wings...

Yeah, I'd say that I average between 1400 to 1700 and I'm cool and losing slowly but definitely from that. I too think that's a liiiitttle more sustainable and reasonable than 1200. I'd rather learn to eat the RIGHT way, than the crash diet way.
Old 08-05-2009, 12:48 PM   #503  

S/C/G: 137.5/137.5/125

Height: 5'4''

Default NS vs. LA

Good Morning Everyone!

I have doing some research the past few days because I have put on about 10lbs that I want to get rid of. I always seem to put the wait on during the spring and summer. When I go back to teaching in the fall, then it comes off again because I am keeping busy. I am tired of the up and down and I want to change my habits, so I become more conscious of my eating habits and portions.

I have done LA weightloss in the past with success, but sometimes I feel like it is really restrictive. I have been looking at NS because it would be extremely easy for me to do during the school year. In fact, it would make packing lunch really easy. I have also found a blog where a girl lost approx. 60lbs using NS as well as her own food. The biggest thing is the cost and the flexibility.

From what I have found, I think that I am going to use a combination of NS, my own food, and fitday.com to help me with the ten pounds. If I take off an extra 5 pounds in the process that would be great!

Has anyone done NS on their own using your own food? Do you have any recipes or suggestions?

Thanks for your help!
Heather
Old 08-05-2009, 12:49 PM   #504  
Learning to fly again

Exactly If I am going to learn portion sizes I might as well learn the actual size of a portion I am going to be eating in the long run and not have to learn what a "real" portion looks like later on.
Old 08-05-2009, 12:52 PM   #505  
Learning to fly again

Heather, I am not on my usual computer so I don't have the links handy, but if you have the time, on this thread a few pages back Newgie posted a whole lot of links with the information you are looking for.
Hope that helps.
Old 08-06-2009, 08:14 AM   #506  
Hanging in the Heartland

S/C/G: 470/220/170

Height: 5"8"

Hi Folks,

I was glad to find this thread. I am very new to Nutrisystems. A few days now but have experimented hear and there with a few things I picked up at Big Lots. I lost 25 pounds on my own own in about 5 months but have been stalled for about the last 4 months. I thought Nutrisystems might help get me get going again. It tastes OK to pretty good but like the gentleman said, I try not to read the ingredients. I will be intested in checking back and seeing how people are doing and gleaning advice from your experiences. Like other people have mentioned, I have uped the calories to about 1500-1800 as this seems much more sustainable for me
Old 08-07-2009, 07:08 PM   #507  
ggg

Default How do you deal with special occasions

kiki100, I so love reading your posts. Such great inspiration! I also joined NS with the plan to get-the-darn-weight-off-as-fast-as-possible, but with the specific of loosing the last 20 with WW to relearn how to eat. I have been off the NS food for a while, and it is working well because I pre-measure a lot of stuff and have it ready just like NS is. The convenience is a big factor in loving NS since the cooking of food just makes me want to call 911-Take out

I am still losing weight, abet slowly. I did go away to visit an old friend and ended up gaining 5 lb's but lost 4 of that the next week, and I am sure I am back on track next week.
My birthday is coming up soon, and I must admit, I am a little freaked. I will forgo the cake, as that is no big deal, but I will be cough..cough..indulging in a martini or two But like I thought when I read Terry's post, if you can't indulge every once in a while, without guilt, you won't stick to the plan. Or something like that
Old 08-09-2009, 10:16 AM   #508  

GGG, that is great! I'm so glad you're doing well also!! I probably didn't do myself any favours by considering NS as a way to a means...so other than learning portion control (which was of course a HUGE help) I was struggling after NS. Likely the fact that we were on holidays didn't help. WW was great for me as most restaurants provide nutritional info so I could calculate exactly how many points I would be eating and determine if it was "worth it" so to speak.

Happy early birthday to you...enjoy your martini!! (And perhaps even a little piece of bday cake!!)
Old 08-10-2009, 07:10 PM   #509  
Finding my wings...

I agree... portion control is probably the biggest thing (aside from eat mass quantities of fruits and veggies!) that NS has taught me. I'm grateful, too.
Old 08-14-2009, 12:14 AM   #510  

Hi everyone. I am new to this site and am seriously considering either NS or Jenny Craig......

I am 22 and just had a baby 4 weeks ago (WOOHOOOO)! But it left me about 40 lbs heavier than I would like to be. Currently, I barely eat. I am eating 2 Slim Fast meal bars a day with some fruit here or there, and then a Lean Cuisine and maybe a small bag of Sun Chips. Plus, I'm taking SlimQuick with Hoodia. I am not consuming too many calories, but am not losing any weight. I am worried that starting NS will be upping my intake and make me gain....

Any advice?

Oh, and KUDOS to all you ladies with such tremendous weight loss and motivation to keep you going!! I hope I will be there one day!
Closed Thread