Packaged Meals and Clinics - Nutrisystem, Medifast, Jenny Craig, Etc For support and questions about diet meal delivery programs, or weight loss clinics that offer prepackaged meals and products.

Old 06-09-2008, 11:53 AM   #1  

Default Old Hmr Thread

Hi,
I got an e mail link to an old HMR forum but I cannot find it. I would love to have an ongoing link for this diet as I am seriously considering it and need a push(how pathetic is that).

Are there any others interested in this. Nothing else is working for me and I am getting scared.

Sheridan
Sheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 12:23 PM   #2  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

What is HMR . . . ? If you spell it out maybe we can help you find it. The search engine tends to reject entries of three letters.
meowee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 12:40 PM   #3  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

HMR is Health Management Resources.

Last edited by Ruthxxx; 06-09-2008 at 12:41 PM.
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 12:42 PM   #4  

Hi,
HMR I berlieve stands for Health Management resources wich is a very low calorie diet that used to be in hospitals but now has a home version which combines shakes and food. Recently there was a post to which I posted a reply and oddly an e mail came to an old HMR thread.

This is like medifast but a little diffeent in that there are 5 shakes and 2 meals . It was quite popular a while back because it had a good reputation among medical professionals as being balanced and quality nutrition. Sheridan
Old 06-09-2008, 04:24 PM   #5  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

I did a search in General Diet Plans and came up with no more recent entries than one similar question asked by someone else in 2007 -- before that the most recent discussions on HMR where back in 2004 and 2003.

Sorry I couldn't be more encouraging, but doesn't look like there's much around here on it.

Have you read the Medifast forum; maybe it would be a safe alternative for you to look into?
meowee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 05:21 PM   #6  
Operator265

I do Medifast and really like it. Come check us out. More importantly, after careful investigation, I feel safe on it.

Last edited by Operator265; 06-09-2008 at 05:22 PM.
Old 06-24-2008, 02:18 AM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheridan View Post
Hi,
I got an e mail link to an old HMR forum but I cannot find it. I would love to have an ongoing link for this diet as I am seriously considering it and need a push(how pathetic is that).

Are there any others interested in this. Nothing else is working for me and I am getting scared.

Sheridan
Sheridan,

I did HMR last summer and lost 40 lbs in 13 weeks. It's structured as a 13 week boot camp, then ongoing maintenance for up to 18 months. They have a variety of plans that range from 500 calories/day (medically monitored) to 1800 calories a day. On the 500-800 calorie plan you only eat the HMR brand shakes, while on the 1200-1800 calorie plan you eat 3 shakes, 2 HMR brand entrees and 5 fruit/vegetable servings a day.

The shakes were ok as far as meal replacement shakes go, although I could not stand the Vanilla but others loved it. You have to make your own so your blender will get a work out . I can't figure out why they do this but the shakes use sacchrin. The HMR entrees are shelf stable, so they leave a bit to be desired in terms of taste. No preservatives though. They also only have about 12 entrees, so it can get monotonous fast.

You go to meetings once a week where you meet with a doctor/nurse, then you have a group class. It is a time commitment, about 3 hours a week. It does help with accountability for those who need a kick in the pants . I could not eat one more shake after I finished the 13 week boot camp, so I moved on to diet meal deliveries. I just need more variety and "real" food. Plus, HMR is expensive. On top of the about $100 of food you are required to buy each week, you have class fees, medical fees, blood tests to pay for, fruits and veggies to buy, etc etc. If you are still considering HMR and have other questions please feel free to send me a message.

Hope this helps, Rachael

Last edited by Rachael81; 06-24-2008 at 02:20 AM.
Rachael81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 03:53 PM   #8  

Default Dear Rachael

Hi,
Thank you so much. They have no medical plan in my area so I would have to do the thing alone. I am so annoyed at Myself because I cannot first of all understand how I got so overweight in the first place and second, why I cannot lose the extra pounds.

My insurance plan told me that if I were an alcoholic,I could go to a 28 day program but food addiction well just too bad. It is kind of funny in a sad way.

Congrats on your success. Msaybe I will give this a shot. At this point I had better get serious. I am not huge but I could lose at least 50 pounds so I need some sort of workable plan.

Weight watchers works but one more point counting will drive me to drink(Of course then I guess I would qualify for the 28 day program-just kidding)

What does HMR consider a meal on your own when you skip their entrees and do the 3 shakes and your own meal? Specifically what does the program tell you to eat.

Long ago they had a cool way to calculate exercise calories but I don't have the details . I remember it was if you walk a mile no matter how long it takes the calorie burn is the same as if your did it in 15 minutes.In other words one moile is worth a certain amount of calories period. I thought it was great. I wish I could get my hands on that info. My girlfriend had it but lost it.

If you know what makes up their suggested meal ,I would appreciate some suggestions.

Thanks
Sheridan
Old 06-25-2008, 12:28 PM   #9  
Laura

Sheridan,

I just completed the 13 week core on May, 29. I lost 42 pounds. My insurance paid for everything except the food. The food was around $110 to $150 per week. My basic plan was 3 shakes and 2 entrees. Because I practiced "more is better" to keep from being hungry, I had to buy extra food each week. At the end of the core program, I had to go on maintenance because I couldn't afford to pay for their food any longer. It was worth it because I was facing knee replacement surgery, and I can walk again now. I was on the Decision Free plan. They had shakes, soup, hot cereal, entrees and bars. I could eat as much of their food I needed to feel full. The other plan is the Healthy Choice plan. On this plan you can also have 5 cups of fruits and vegetables along with their foods. I hope this answers some of your questions.
laurtan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 03:01 PM   #10  

Dear Laurtan,

Congratulations on your weight loss-very impressive. Also wonderful news that you can walk and I am sure this puts you in better shape for the knee surgery.

No denying that this program works. I wonder why it is so $$$. I like the idea that more is better which I guess is how I got heavy.I take it their food is a good replacement to prevent binging.

I wish gasoline would go down in price to free up some extra money.

Thanks for the info and good luck.

Sheridan
Old 06-25-2008, 08:02 PM   #11  
Laura

Dear Sheridan,

Thank you. Yes I do feel much better. The plan does work, but I have to admit the first week or so was rough. When I got used to the food, I really didn't have cravings. The entrees were filling. I would usually have a soup with my entree. The shakes and the bars took care of my sweet tooth. You can add Splenda ,sf pudding mix and sf syrups to the shakes and they give them a different taste. If I could afford the food, I would have probably stayed in the ongoing instead of going into maintenance. Where do you get your food? Did they offer you any recipes. You can get recipes off the HMR website and we got a few in class. I will share any info I have.

Thanks,
Laura

I went to class this evening and the dietician told me that if you eat a meal replacement that is not HMR, it shouldn't have more than 300 calories and 800 mg sodium. The shakes I use have 160 calories each.

Last edited by laurtan; 06-25-2008 at 08:08 PM.
laurtan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 06:18 PM   #12  

Sheridan,

I'm not sure what their definition of a healthy meal is as I didn't do the Healthy Shakes plan. From what I learned on the program, my guess it is several cups of salad greens plus a measured amount of lean protein. Have you considered Jenny Craig or other programs that have their meals premade? I think when everything is done for you it makes it harder to rationalize cheating.

I'm doing an eating plan without diet support called Seattle Sutton and I'm blogging about it here:

seattlesuttonskinny.wordpress.com

I've also done eDiets. While effective, the customer service and reliability is a nightmare.
Rachael81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 11:15 AM   #13  

HI,

Well my HMR plans are on hold. The financial toll is a bit steep for the moment but I sure would like to try this sometime. I wonder why the cost is so high for a bit of protein. I am trying to just eat healthy for now but I stray into the land of sugar. sometimes it all seems too much.I guess I am haing a pity party today.

Sheridan