Packaged Meals and Clinics - Nutrisystem, Medifast, Jenny Craig, Etc For support and questions about diet meal delivery programs, or weight loss clinics that offer prepackaged meals and products.

Closed Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 11:31 AM   #31  

Default New here!

Hello there!
I've been reading your posts about bistro MD without joining the forum, as I decided whether to start ordering...and I did! I had my first week of 7 meals & snacks and it went well; then my second week never came so I'm just starting my 2nd week now. I switched to 5 meals with snacks so I could have more free weekends. I'm hoping to lose about 25 pounds but I'm finding I'm starving at night!! I keep eating little 100 calorie snacks so I'm usually adding 300 calories minimum to my days. Any suggestions?
I also wanted to discuss the foods that aren't working for me--this morning I tried oatmeal with brown sugar and maple and it tasted uncooked the whole time. UG I feel sick. Any tips on making it cook?
Thanks ladies, I'm hoping I can jump in and be your buddy too...
Old 07-29-2008, 03:36 PM   #32  
blissfully gluten-free

S/C/G: 195/192/170

Height: 5'7"...................................... waist: 38"/34"/28"

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by drum4tiger View Post
Hello there!
I've been reading your posts about bistro MD without joining the forum, as I decided whether to start ordering...and I did! I had my first week of 7 meals & snacks and it went well; then my second week never came so I'm just starting my 2nd week now.
Oh, bummer that they missed sending you the 2nd week on time! I've never had a missed delivery (although I have *caught* that the delivery wasn't making progress on the FedEx tracker and then alerted BistroMD, who then fixed the problem and expressed a delivery so that I would have it on time), so I can imagine how frustrated you must be.

Quote:
I switched to 5 meals with snacks so I could have more free weekends. I'm hoping to lose about 25 pounds but I'm finding I'm starving at night!! I keep eating little 100 calorie snacks so I'm usually adding 300 calories minimum to my days. Any suggestions?
At first, I was adding about 200 to 300 calories each day, too. I would have an additional snack pack that THEY sent *or* I would have a handful of cashews or a banana or even just a glass of milk!

It may be part of what slowed down my loss to less than a pound per week, but if it's not a program I can STICK WITH, there's no hope, really.

So, I calculated that I was still keeping to around 1500 calories a day, as some of the BistroMD days were coming in below 1200! And for me to have started at over 225 pounds, I certainly couldn't handle the immediate shock to the system of having fewer than 1200 calories, right out of the gate.

Now, I seem to do okay at below 1500 calories, plus I've added a daily workout.

But yes, at first, I absolutely was adding snacks too. I think, as long as you make "good calorie" choices, you'll be okay. And eventually, you won't need to add.

Quote:
I also wanted to discuss the foods that aren't working for me--this morning I tried oatmeal with brown sugar and maple and it tasted uncooked the whole time. UG I feel sick. Any tips on making it cook?
Thanks ladies, I'm hoping I can jump in and be your buddy too...
Absolutely! Welcome aboard!!

I boil my water in a whistling kettle and add it to the oatmeal... and I've never had the problem you've mentioned. BUT... I wanted to mention that for the first, like 12 weeks, they sent me TWO packs of oatmeal per day: one of the high-protein flavored oatmeals AND one pack of good ol' plain Quaker Oats. They said to mix the two packets both to get the right number of calories AND to "cut the density" of the high-protein flavored one.

Now, what I've noticed in the last 12 weeks of the program, is that they're ONLY sending the flavored oatmeal! I've had to go to the market to BUY the plain oatmeal to mix in. No biggie, because it's easy enough to buy at the store, but I've asked the reps at BistroMD and they've told me they've just been "out" of the plain.

Pff. OUT for 12 weeks? Whatever.

So, I've been supplementing the plain oatmeal to add to the flavored.

But I'm wondering, if they're not sending you any plain oatmeal (nor the instructions that you should go buy some and add it to your flavored oatmeal), it might be REALLY dense and taste "uncooked." I don't know, because I haven't tried it ALONE, but I would imagine that COULD be a culprit!!

So, try to add some plain oatmeal (same amount--so you're having TWO packets of oatmeal at once, and about 2/3 cup water) and see if that makes a difference.

That's the only suggestion I can come up with.

Hope it helps!

And welcome!! Good luck in reaching your goals!
Old 07-31-2008, 11:17 PM   #33  

Default it's nice to be included ;)

Thank you so much for the suggestion/information about the other oatmeal packet! That makes a lot of sense...I saw something in my box about mixing it with plain oatmeal but then I didn't see one so I figured it was for someone else/put in the wrong box. But I think you're right---if I added a regular oatmeal it would have been much tastier and I'll do it next time.

I'm also so glad to know that you were able to reduce your extra calories after a while. I'm trying. I'm NOT adding sensible snacks, so I could definitely do better there. I'm eating, like, 100 calorie popcorn, or cookies, or chocolate. I can see why this might be a problem, keeping my cravings going.

I just moved into a condo complex and they have a gym here, so I'm starting to work out regularly. I feel like this has to have an impact-decreasing my calories and exercising more. The ridiculous thing is I don't have a scale so I haven't weighed myself yet. We had a house fire (everyone is okay) so all our stuff was packed out by professionals and we're living on rented everything. They didn't bring us a scale

I was just reading a really interesting article about low-glycemic diets and I think that may be the smartest way for me to eat; I cut out most gluten and dairy for several months and dropped weight without counting calories at all. It was just so much WORK and after the fire and some other things in my life, I really needed someone to just do the work for me--send me the food, tell me what to eat, hold my hand!

Well that's it for tonight. Keep up the good work everyone. I'm so happy to be included.
Goodnight from California
Old 08-01-2008, 12:04 PM   #34  

Mmm raspberry danishes warmed in the oven for 7 minutes at 350...delicious!
Old 08-01-2008, 12:21 PM   #35  

Hello! I have just ordered my first week of BistroMD and I am ready to go! I have tried almost everything out there-and some that were WAY out there-and I am so ready. I have had some success but I always gain the weight back. I love good food-usually too much good food. Ah, well, I had a lot of fun eating my way to my currently "majestic" figure and I so want enjoy returning to a previous incarnation, before I totally forget what it was like to be in shape!

I am happy to find all of you and look forward to sharing sucesses!
Old 08-01-2008, 12:50 PM   #36  
blissfully gluten-free

Thumbs up

Quote:
Thank you so much for the suggestion/information about the other oatmeal packet! That makes a lot of sense...I saw something in my box about mixing it with plain oatmeal but then I didn't see one so I figured it was for someone else/put in the wrong box. But I think you're right---if I added a regular oatmeal it would have been much tastier and I'll do it next time.
Awesome! Lemmeknow. I know it's been very frustrating to have them NOT sending the plain oatmeal for so long, but it looks like that's not gonna change, so at least it's the "cheapest possible thing" they send/leave out that I'm having to go get on my own. So, it could be worse. LOL

Quote:
I'm also so glad to know that you were able to reduce your extra calories after a while. I'm trying. I'm NOT adding sensible snacks, so I could definitely do better there. I'm eating, like, 100 calorie popcorn, or cookies, or chocolate. I can see why this might be a problem, keeping my cravings going.
Well, at first I was adding popcorn and chips and other non-diet-y 150-calorie snacks. And sometimes I STILL use rice crackers with a nice bit of low-fat cheese. Cravings!!

But I just looked at it this way: "Yeah, I could be making 100% good choices, but since 85% good choices is still better than where I was BEFORE I started this journey AND I'm still making progress--just not as fast as I might like--I'm going to go easy on myself with the 'not as great' choices until I've created better habits overall, which will allow me to consistently make choices more at the 90% or even 95% level."

Some would say I was too easy on myself and should be strict, but I have a history of eating disorders, so I find that I'm much better OVERALL if I give a little freedom to the journey and enjoy each day. And, at least I am having good progress week to week, so I figure that's better than the dozens of diets I've done SUPER strict and then fallen off the wagon after just a few weeks. The fact that I've been sticking with this for MONTHS is a huge deal, for me (with my diet history).

Quote:
I just moved into a condo complex and they have a gym here, so I'm starting to work out regularly. I feel like this has to have an impact-decreasing my calories and exercising more.
Absolutely! I keep reading that the food intake has far more to do with week-to-week weightloss than exercise, but I totally agree with you that there has to be some curtailing of the calories we bring in, when we're feeling good and exercising and moving our bodies in good, healthy ways.

Quote:
The ridiculous thing is I don't have a scale so I haven't weighed myself yet. We had a house fire (everyone is okay) so all our stuff was packed out by professionals and we're living on rented everything. They didn't bring us a scale
First, I'm so glad everyone is okay! Wow! That's scary! Second, I too started my journey without a scale. I know I weighed 240 at the doctor's office around Christmas and I assumed--based on my own cutting out fast food and the way my clothes fit by Valentine's Day--that I was starting BistroMD at around 225. Sure enough, when I bought a scale a couple weeks into the diet, I weighed about 220, and decided that "felt" right.

But I've dieted many times without a scale and just used measuring tape or the fit of my clothes or the way my KNEES felt to let me know I was headed in the right direction. And then I'd hop on a scale at a friend's house whenever that was easy to do.

Quote:
I was just reading a really interesting article about low-glycemic diets and I think that may be the smartest way for me to eat; I cut out most gluten and dairy for several months and dropped weight without counting calories at all. It was just so much WORK and after the fire and some other things in my life, I really needed someone to just do the work for me--send me the food, tell me what to eat, hold my hand!
Totally understand and get that! I needed a "no brainer" diet and BistroMD definitely provided that. I eat gluten free and I know I'm healthier for it. In fact, I gained 60 pounds in one year due to the gluten intolerance--it's how I found out I was eating something that poisoned me (well, the weight gain plus migraines and joint pain and increased OCD symptoms and rashes)--and while cutting out gluten hasn't caused the weight to melt off (darn it), I sure am healthier--and was even at 240 pounds--than when I ate wheat.

I agree about the glycemic index issue being a factor. I'm fascinated by how much my cravings have decreased when I'm really good about it. That has to be related!

Quote:
Well that's it for tonight. Keep up the good work everyone. I'm so happy to be included.
Goodnight from California
So glad you're here! Yay! Keep it up!

Quote:
Mmm raspberry danishes warmed in the oven for 7 minutes at 350...delicious!
Ooooooooooh. Now that's some gluten I wish I could have. LOL Heeeeee!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieCat View Post
Hello! I have just ordered my first week of BistroMD and I am ready to go! I have tried almost everything out there-and some that were WAY out there-and I am so ready.
Yay! Welcome, Rosie! And congrats on getting started!!!! Yay!

Isn't it great to feel READY? I love it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieCat View Post
I have had some success but I always gain the weight back. I love good food-usually too much good food. Ah, well, I had a lot of fun eating my way to my currently "majestic" figure and I so want enjoy returning to a previous incarnation, before I totally forget what it was like to be in shape!

I am happy to find all of you and look forward to sharing sucesses!
Glad to have you here. Looking forward to reading about your first delivery.

My Week 25 just arrived! Yay! Time to stuff the freezer... right after my workout. Yay!

Everyone have a great weekend!
Old 08-02-2008, 04:22 AM   #37  

Full of Grace,
You are an amazing poster, you know how to quote us and respond and add pretty pictures and emoticons in just the right places. Your weight loss and inches lost are inspiring and I absolutely whole-heartedly stand behind your decision to ease into changes rather than risk triggering eating disorders or other OCD type patterns. I find it must easier to go "all or nothing" and so to ease into something is more challenging; it's also more realistic in the long run since I'll never "never eat ___" and I'd rather find a way to balance it all.

What I read about the glycemic index diet was people who tend to store their weight in their mid-sections (hello, me!) seem to respond better to the low glycemic diets, and people with more pear shaped bodies are better with the low-fat diets. But yeah, right now I'm ignoring the gluten-free idea and loves me some bread and raspberry danish!

Tonight I did something really unusual; I went to a "dining in the dark" restaurant where the wait staff are blind and the room is PITCH black I mean PITCH black. I ate up a storm including dessert and two glasses of wine, but I did it on purpose and with the knowlege that it was a special deal. So cool! You really get into the textures and flavors of the food. And you can close your eyes, eat with your hands, or anything because seriously nobody can see you.
RosieCat, welcome to our little Bistro MD club! Let us know how you enjoy the food or what you think. Lately I've discovered de-frosting my meals a day in advance so it cooks in the microwave more quickly and I can bring it to work without boiling water in a big pot. That was pretty inconvenient for me. Plus I'd rather have my food in tupperware and avoid any questions about where my food is coming from...nobody's business.

My favorite snax so far are definitely the bars. Yum! I am surprised at how much protein is in each snack and how I'm actually filled up by them. The breakfasts still don't thrill me and the hot chocolate is kind of weird; I mix it with really strong special coffee and it tastes better.

Okay I am up WAY too late and have to go to sleep. Goodnight. Thanks for listening.
Old 08-04-2008, 03:17 PM   #38  

S/C/G: 137/131.5/125

Height: 5'6

I'm interested in being a buddy. I ordered my BistroMD food and I think it arrives tomorrow or Wednesday.

I've been struggling with these last 10 pounds Forever! I did Manhattan delivery...and that worked...but, the food killed me. Then, I did Diet to go and I gained weight.

So, here I am.

I've been enjoying reading the posts!
Old 08-04-2008, 06:15 PM   #39  
blissfully gluten-free

Talking

Quote:
Full of Grace,
You are an amazing poster, you know how to quote us and respond and add pretty pictures and emoticons in just the right places.
Ahh, so sweet. I'm a long-time message board poster. (And a big ol' geek.)

Quote:
Your weight loss and inches lost are inspiring and I absolutely whole-heartedly stand behind your decision to ease into changes rather than risk triggering eating disorders or other OCD type patterns.
Thank you! Basically, I've reached an age where I know myself pretty well. I've done it the "other way" too many times to try it like that again and again. (It's that whole, "What's the definition of insanity?" thing. Answer: "Doing the same thing over and over, expecting different results.")

Oh, and if you liked my "inches lost" before the weekend... I'm down another .5" in my waist just since Thursday! I am sooooooo happy!

Quote:
I find it must easier to go "all or nothing" and so to ease into something is more challenging; it's also more realistic in the long run since I'll never "never eat ___" and I'd rather find a way to balance it all.
Right on!

Quote:
What I read about the glycemic index diet was people who tend to store their weight in their mid-sections (hello, me!) seem to respond better to the low glycemic diets, and people with more pear shaped bodies are better with the low-fat diets. But yeah, right now I'm ignoring the gluten-free idea and loves me some bread and raspberry danish!
Well, I'll live vicariously through you on that one. All of the food looks SO GOOD on BistroMD. I know--just by how much I love the foods I *do* get--that I would really love all of it. Or at least most of it.

And I feel that the low glycemic index thing is helping with my cravings, for sure. (Doesn't mean I don't give into them sometimes--like during my premenstrual days, for sure--but I can tell the craving is less powerful, the more "low glycemic" I stick.)

Quote:
Tonight I did something really unusual; I went to a "dining in the dark" restaurant where the wait staff are blind and the room is PITCH black I mean PITCH black. I ate up a storm including dessert and two glasses of wine, but I did it on purpose and with the knowlege that it was a special deal. So cool! You really get into the textures and flavors of the food. And you can close your eyes, eat with your hands, or anything because seriously nobody can see you.
This is SO fascinating!!!!! I want to know more about this! Do you have a link to a site or something? I would LOVE to see (no pun intended) if there is something like this in my area. How VERY cool! And it's a concept I've never heard about. I'd love to check it out! Wow!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Lately I've discovered de-frosting my meals a day in advance so it cooks in the microwave more quickly and I can bring it to work without boiling water in a big pot. That was pretty inconvenient for me. Plus I'd rather have my food in tupperware and avoid any questions about where my food is coming from...nobody's business.
That's a great point. I remember my days of eating in an office and having to bring my Jenny Craig entrees... being so worried someone would "call me out" about my diet before I was ready to talk about it. What a pain!

Awesome to use the containers to just diffuse any of that before it even happens. Brilliant!

Quote:
My favorite snax so far are definitely the bars. Yum! I am surprised at how much protein is in each snack and how I'm actually filled up by them. The breakfasts still don't thrill me and the hot chocolate is kind of weird; I mix it with really strong special coffee and it tastes better.
The bars really are good, aren't they? I also like the savory snacks (crisps and Crunch-O's). I have a few still squirreled away from before I made the transition to the five-day/no snacks plan. I'm still learning how to choose the best "on my own" snacks to match (or come close to matching) the calories, protein, fat, sodium, etc., of the BistroMD snacks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelissaV View Post
I'm interested in being a buddy. I ordered my BistroMD food and I think it arrives tomorrow or Wednesday.
Congratulations!! And welcome!!

I hope you'll love your food and that your weightloss will be steady and FUN!

Quote:
I've been struggling with these last 10 pounds Forever! I did Manhattan delivery...and that worked...but, the food killed me. Then, I did Diet to go and I gained weight.

So, here I am.

I've been enjoying reading the posts!
Yay! Glad they've been enjoyable for you to read.

Are you doing the seven-day or five-day plan with or without snacks?

Good luck to you! And all of us!!
Old 08-04-2008, 07:47 PM   #40  

I'm starting out with the 7 day plan with snacks....because well, I work out a lot...and that makes me think I should eat a lot, which I shouldn't be eating as much as I am. For instance, today I biked 13 miles and then did an hour and a half of weight training...so, I'm starving. AND I eat everything in my kitchen. Not good.

That is the reason I'm getting back boobs.

I hope I get my food tomorrow....so I can get this party started.
Old 08-04-2008, 07:57 PM   #41  
blissfully gluten-free

Thumbs up

Quote:
I'm starting out with the 7 day plan with snacks....because well, I work out a lot...and that makes me think I should eat a lot, which I shouldn't be eating as much as I am. For instance, today I biked 13 miles and then did an hour and a half of weight training...so, I'm starving. AND I eat everything in my kitchen. Not good.

That is the reason I'm getting back boobs.

I hope I get my food tomorrow....so I can get this party started.
LOL LOL LOL

Back boobs!!!! LOL

The seven day with snacks isn't a ton of calories. It's generally 1200 to 1500, so you may still need to add in something now and then. I definitely did, at first especially--and I was nowhere near as active as you are. GETTING THERE, though.

Welcome to the party!!
Old 08-06-2008, 11:58 AM   #42  
klc

Default New kid on the block

Hey folks. I'm starting BistroMD tonite...my food is on the delivery truck even as we speak...I'm SO excited!!!! I've lost 33lbs since starting on food delivery (ediets then PFFS) in March, but still have 72 to go, so I'm on this for the long haul. I want to get to 165, and then I'll assess where I want to go from there. I love this whole meal delivery thing. I'm single and don't cook, so it is perfect for me. I'm staying on the 7 day plan til I hit my goal, but even then, I'm sure I'll hang onto a 5 day plan to maintain. I'm just so spoiled now by the convenience that I can't imagine going back to fending for myself (although I'm sure that Domino and Steak-out's stock has dropped drastically over the last 5 months )

Anyhow, you guys now have another member of the team. BTW Grace, this is Kathy, the Wii geek who posted on your blog.
Old 08-06-2008, 08:50 PM   #43  
klc

Default ohboyohboyohboy!

My food is here!

First off, I am absolutely blown away by the packaging. Lovely reusable cooler instead of sheets of styrofoam and bags (i.e. very easy to give away). Dry ice that evaporates and goes away after 24 hrs. Great sturdy dry goods box that I've already thought of about a jillion uses for (including xmas tree ornaments).

Second, looks of the food (don't start taste testing til tomorrow). Everything looks great, but the veggies are absolutely gorgeous. Also, really nice 'big' full meals. I had to look at the menu to figure out what was lunch vs. dinner. I love that the lunches are full meals with veggies. The variety of snacks was also impressive.

I was initially a little concerned that there were set menus, instead of being able to select your food, but I'm now I'm glad that's the case, cause I don't have to worry about needing to try stuff, to figure out what to order next week. It's also going to be good to have the variety over the next 6 weeks. And everything on the menus sounds good.

The idea about thawing it and taking it into work in a uwave-able dish was a good one. I have a whole stack of trays with lids from my time with purfoods plans, so I'm good to go.

After doing meal delivery for 5 months, this is a great second wind for me. Looking forward to getting cranked up on it in the morning.
-Kathy
Old 08-07-2008, 12:53 PM   #44  

Hi girls,
I'm hoping to start next week! I've enjoyed reading this thread and I'm thrilled there is an option for me like food delivery. With my husband being able to eat anything (and being a picky eater) and my toddler daughter, I need something exactly like this to keep me in line. What to eat and how much to eat is perfect for me!

I have a question though...I ordered my food Sunday night, and I haven't received even 1 email from BistroMD. No confirmation email, no welcome email, nothing. Is this normal? What's up with that? I have no idea if they received my order or when they plan on shipping it....

Nice to meet you all!

Lisa
Old 08-07-2008, 03:59 PM   #45  

Hi Lisa, I would call! I did receive a confirmation email from them...and then I followed up. My food JUST came today. I am very excited to have my "Bistro MD" dinner. I'm like you as well, my husband lost 15 pounds by eating only one chocolate chip cookie at night. I cannot even think of a chocolate chip cookie!

I hope this thread stays active. Do we want to set up a monthly Bistro MD Buddies thread?

Also, if anyone is lurking and thinking of joining. I have coupons for $50 off your first week...and I get $50 off one of my weeks.

Melissa
Closed Thread