Bistro MD buddies?

You're on Page 10 of 53
Go to
  • Grace did you say you use 5 days and streach to 7 ?
    The food is great.. so I am trying to figure out how I can afford this food and justify the cost..long term. I have lots to lose so will have to be on it for a while.

Did you say you use the 5 day no snack plan ?? Would you mind explaining how you work it out ?
  • Quote: Grace, it sounds like a good recipe to me! And obviously, it is working for you.
    Seems to be! I mean, I'm no poster child for "how to diet" by ANY stretch of the imagination, but I am continuing on a downward trend without having to totally hijack my "normal life" to do it and that makes me happy.

Quote: I'm very motivated this week. I ran 5 miles this morning...so, I'm hoping that I have a good week!
    I'm so impressed with you, Melissa! You exercise a LOT! Good for you! Hope your weigh-in is awesome this week!! Hope all of ours are!

Quote: The food is great.. so I am trying to figure out how I can afford this food and justify the cost..long term. I have lots to lose so will have to be on it for a while.

Did you say you use the 5 day no snack plan ?? Would you mind explaining how you work it out ?
    Sure! I'll do my best. Bear with me.

I started out on the 7-day with snacks plan. I did that for like 15 weeks.

BUT... I never ate everything I was supposed to every week. Probably the very first couple of days, I ate EXACTLY what was on the menu sheet, no exceptions, because I was nervous about "getting it right" and I wanted to have results. So, let's say the first few days I was 100%.

And then I got sick. Really sick. I think I've linked to the post I made called "WHINE" about how sick I got after my first few days on BistroMD. (I think my body was rebelling against all of the good food, after so much Taco Bell and such. LOL)

Because I was living on a diet of chicken broth and NyQuil for a few days straight, I didn't eat SEVERAL DAYS of BistroMD food.

So, by the time Week 2 arrived, I had a back-log of foods.

It took a while for my appetite to rebuild, so let's say during week 2, I was eating two meals plus two snacks, but skipping my cocoa and and breakfast. That lasted a couple of days.

And then when I started feeling better, I wanted to go out for a nice meal with my hubby, so I looked at the day's foods and ate only breakfast, cocoa, and ONE snack, to save all of the rest of my calories for dinner and drinks that night.

By now, I wasn't so worried about "keeping to the daily menu" and I had learned what the calorie count was on everything, as well as where my protein was coming from, vs. good carbs, etc., and I became very good at knowing what I could "swap out" when necessary.

So when I had my first business lunch out at a restaurant, I was very proud of myself because I made choices that fit within the day's allotment and I just didn't eat whatever BistroMD meal would best line up with that meal I had at the restaurant. And if the restaurant meal was WAY over the calories of a standard BistroMD meal, I'd either only eat half of the meal and bring the rest home OR I would skip both a BistroMD meal AND a snack, to even it out, calorie-wise.

Still with me?

Okay, so because I eat out at least once a week--usually twice--I was always "banking" a meal or two more than what I would expect to do on the standard seven-day plan. And because I never wanted to go over my calories for the day, I would sometimes skip snacks too on those days I had a meal out (or especially on days I had cocktails), so I had a back-log of snacks too.

When I switched to the five-day/no-snacks plan in (I think) Week 16, I had a TON of food saved up, so I knew I'd be able to do the five-day plan AND still eat BistroMD food on the other two days, and then just eat out when I eat out, balancing it all out the same way I had been doing while on the seven-day plan (just now I wouldn't have as much back-log in my freezer).

After a couple of weeks on five-days/no-snacks, I started noticing my snack stock getting lower, so I started really paying attention to what was in each snack, how it fit into a bowl, what its nutrition information included, etc., so that when I wanted to sub a snack of my own, I could do so in a way that would still keep me in my calorie range and on the glycemic index at the right level.

So, on days when I was craving beef (I can't have ANY of the beef dishes on BistroMD due to wheat gluten) and cheese (like due to my period or something), I could have a burger with cheese and "do the math" to make sure it wouldn't put me out of range from what the BistroMD foods would've done... plus I could satisfy a craving! And that was/is always very important to me.

After Week 20, I had more food stocked up again due to lots of meals out, so I sold a week of food to my friend who had been wanting to try BistroMD. She paid me a hundred bucks and I gave her 14 frozen meals, like 10 muffins and oatmeals and berries, 25 cocoas, and three or four snacks. Just a "sample pack" of stuff, really. Yeah, she got a great deal, but I needed the space, so it was worth the price break to do a little freezer feng shui.

Anyway, the bottom line is this, with me:

So, all of that adds up to having "overstock" on any given week. It's probably only two days per week that I have TRUE, 100% days of BistroMD, every meal, every snack, every sip.

Because I am doing a very "modified" version of the plan, it's easy to have overstock and use it up on the two days per week I'm NOT receiving food from BistroMD.

Here's a couple of days' menus, for example. See if this helps.

Tuesday:
            muffin
            high-protein cocoa
            mahi mahi in Caribbean sauce
            high-protein snack bar
            chicken Italiano

(Notice that's one snack "less" than I "should" have had. But if I'm not hungry for it, I'm not going to make myself eat it. But that means I have an extra snack left over for one of the days BistroMD didn't deliver a snack for me, for instance. [Of course, I don't get snacks from BistroMD anymore, but this is an example from before, on how I was able to get overstock so easily.])

Wednesday:
            pork in papaya sauce
            handful of cashews
            yogurt
            surf-and-turf at a favorite restaurant, with steamed veggies
            three cocktails

So, because I knew I was going out to eat that night, I "banked" my calories to accommodate the dinner and the drinks. I ate "light" during the day but still got in some protein in the morning by having the pork, and my snack choices were within the range of what BistroMD would send anyway. So, that "banks" a breakfast, a cocoa, two snacks, and a frozen meal!!

Does that make sense?

Lemmeknow if you need more examples.

Like I said above, I'm no poster child for weightloss. I'm doing this very slowly and DEFINITELY on my own terms. Some would say that's ridiculous and a waste of money and I should do BistroMD to the letter, 100% every single day in order to get my money's worth.

And to that I say, I could've reached goal weight by now, if I wanted to play by those rules. You're right. And then I would've thrown myself a four-day-long party during which I binged on everything I didn't allow myself to have for the five months I was on the program.

I like this better. I can live with this. I am LEARNING how to live LIKE this. And because I will take my needs for weight management with me into my goal and beyond, it is vitally important to me that I diet using foods I LOVE, being able to eat out with friends, and not cutting out ANYTHING that I might want to have--now that I know how to have it in moderation, in the right portion size, and with balancing out the rest of my day's intake to make sure the overall trend is DOWN on the scale.

Hope this helps! Lemmeknow if you have questions.
          • Grace, the key is....to make sure you stick to it..and you can live like this! I diet all the time. I work out all the time...and I still have 10 pounds to lose (ok, now I have 7). But, if I go back to eating the way I did....I'll gain it all back.

Great post!
          • Grace, you have it down to a fine art. That was great! I have absolutely zero willpower to follow thru on something like that, so I wimp out and do the 7 day plan. Something that I think I posted earlier, is that it if you're on the 5 day plan, it would be less expensive to buy the 7 day plan (shipping is the same for 5 or 7) and just use it 5 days a week. The lunches and dinners are interchangeable enough, that after you get a backlog of 10 meals, you could skip a week of ordering, and pick back up. Renita, I agree that this food is too good to give up. I've got 70 more lbs to lose, and I'm already planning 5 months ahead, to take a box with me when I'm renting a house with friends over the New Years week on St. George Island!

BTW, I got my snacks in today. I really like these guys. They sent some free samples along with the order (some varieties of Kay's Naturals that I didn't order). The service was good, quick, full shipment tracking, and I got exactly what I ordered.

Speaking of which, I can't believe it...I got my food today! Granted, I'm not very far from the distribution point, but that was still pretty doggone impressive. Out of the 13 lunches/dinner, I got 9 that I haven't tried before. And one of the repeats was the STUFFED CHICKEN WITH APPLES AND CHERRIES...YAY!!! I love that thing. I've really been wanting to try the Salmon in dill, Szechuan beef and Chicken Satay, which were all in this week. I'm a happy camper.
            -Kathy
          • Oh. I love the chicken with apples and cherries. That is phenomenal. Mine will not come in until Thursday. AND the Fed Ex guy LOVES me. (Sarcasm)
          • did an early weight in.
            Well I did an early weight in... just couldn't wait until Friday...
            DOWN 3 1/2 lbs... HURRAY.....
            and good food to boot. I am still have some of the flu bug and not up to normal appetite but I am plugging on.

This Weight loss is really good , as you may recall I have been on a meal delivery system last week from another company.
            The Protein snacks really make a huge difference for me. I can tell that already and all that LOVELY protein with each meal... seems to be exactly what I was needing... I am going to follow the instructions that I received from the
            Dietitian
            and after week 4 increase the snacks or add a salad for one week and back down again the next week..... That may be my key to working this process.
            Also just received an email from Bistro MD that after week 5 I get a 50% off week.. so that gets me through 6 weeks ;HURRAY......

Grace thanks for the details explanation.. I am going to sit down and do the calories like you did.. I use the Spark People website and keep track of my daily intake..... all good idea's..thanks for taking the time to write this all our for me

Renita

ps got to figure out how to UPDATE this little Chicken so she keeping running and keeping up my weight loss counts.. now it is 43 lbs......
          • Renita that GREAT! Both about the weightloss, and staying on it for another week. YAY!!!

If any of you are thinking about ordering snacks separately, and like the taste of wasabi or horseradish, be sure to order the Kay's Naturals Wasabi Pretzelsticks. They are great.
          • I ordered some stuff from that Healthy Weight Management place. I really need bars...I have to have something after I work out...and those work wonders.

Renita, great job! Protein is definitely where it is at for me as well.

Does anyone else get those darn pop ups? They drive me crazy...even though I have a blocker, I cannot type until the pop up comes through.
          • What's the website people are ordering snacks from? I'd like to try some too!

Thanks!
          • Quote: What's the website people are ordering snacks from? I'd like to try some too!

Thanks!
            I ordered from
            http://www.myhealthmanagement.com/

but I want to make sure everyone understands that you don't save a penny (depending on what you order, you could spend more) vs. getting the snacks from BMD. The only advantage, is that you can select your own. But to try a bar, you have to buy a box of 7. For example, I took a gamble and spent $9 on a box of 7 cheesecake mixes, to see if it even came close to the mini cheesecakes. I may wind up throwing 6 away (or feeding them to the my danes). Also, if you buy enough to get the 10% discount ($100), all that stuff sitting around is a huge temptation (trust me...I wanted to try one of each last nite when they came in). I'm glad I did the order, but just wanted to give everyone the negatives as well, so you can judge for yourself.
            -Kathy
          • I ordered them...because I like the bars....and I need them when I'm hitting the gym. I'd like to have the shakes...but, haven't found them yet.

Kathy, where in Alabama are you from? I used to live on the edge of Alabama...in Georgia.
          • I'm in Huntsville (north AL), grew up in Jacksonville (central AL) and went to school in Auburn (LA), so where ever you were on the GA border, I've lived close to it <G>.
            -Kathy
          • BTW, for the shakes, check out dietdirect.com. They didn't have as good of a selection on Kay's Naturals, and were a smidge higher than the other place, but they have an excellent selection over all.
            -Kathy
          • Correction - I just went back out to dietdirect, and they do have the full lineup of Kay's Naturals. The way it was shown, I thought they only had one snack, but you click on that and you can select from all of them.
          • Kathy, my dad went to Auburn and all of my cousins live near Jacksonville. They are in a small, small town called Grove Hill. I went to Georgia. Being in NJ, people do not watch and celebrate college football. They are all about the NFL.