3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Diet Central > Packaged Meals and Clinics - Nutrisystem, Medifast, Jenny Craig, Etc

Packaged Meals and Clinics - Nutrisystem, Medifast, Jenny Craig, Etc For support and questions about diet meal delivery programs, or weight loss clinics that offer prepackaged meals and products.

Old 08-19-2007, 08:48 PM   #16

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I just don't think Jenny Craig would keep her if she is telling blatant lies. The truth is that she hAS LOST a lot of weight.She was really big, whatever the scale says,
I am not a particular fan but think the critiscm she is getting is petty and mean. Val doesn't have as much to lose and is very smart to do it now before she needs to lose 75 pounds.I know a little about Jenny Craig as I used to work there.
Old 08-20-2007, 05:30 AM   #17

Well from a corporate viewpoint, there is some risk involved with the current fad of celeb commercial diet spokespeople.

When you see a before & after spot with Joe or Mary Schmoe, you see fat person and then triumphant thin person and end of story, it's a very controlled message.

However, when you have a person who is in the public eye, it's a double-edged sword. When they are doing well, their every public appearance is great publicity. But unlike Mary Schmoe, if there is an "before-after-then after that" ending to the story then the public notices that as well.

As anyone who remembers the disastrous Jenny Craig campaign with Monica Lewinsky will recall!

I hear Genie Francis of General Hospital fame will be promotiong Medifast (an awful program) and Marie Osmond will be doing one too....I believe Nutrisystem. For them it's also a double-edge; wouldn't you prefer to be paid a million bucks for doing this than have to pay to do it? Sounds good but when you factor in the pressure and scrutiny they have -- not so good.
K8-EEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 10:01 AM   #18

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Marie Osmand? Doesn't she weigh like 90 pounds soaking wet? I remember the Monica Lewinski debacle with Jenny I was working there at the time and I asked upper management why we would want her as a role model.I think, unfortunately, some people are just waiting to see people fail. I say give them a break, hey , they are doing something about thier weight problem, not an easy job, as most any dieter can tell you.
Old 08-20-2007, 03:26 PM   #19

Nah, I remember Marie from her borderline anorexic days but nowadays she's more or less where Valerie B. was starting out. Not catastrophic but a little chubby, not 90 pounds though (see link below.) I remember an interview with her where she was saying that before the Donny and Marie show some producer walked her out to a parking lot and told her she was going to embarass her whole family if she was fat on TV - she was only 13!! Throughout the run of the show she was pretty anorexic, that one remark set it off according to her, and in recent years has been in the yoyo club (with me!)

I got nothing against Kirstie, in fact I can relate to her, she seems nice and participates in fundraisers at my daughter's high school (which is by her house in Los Feliz area or L.A.) I'm just sayin' that if she really does have a contract to stay within 5 pounds of 145 she is in violation of it, which presents an interesting dilemma for the company. At what point does the claim become fraudulent?

Which I'm sure is why they've downplayed her presence so significantly on the website & commercials. I tell ya one thing you will never see a Jenny ad with a back or side view of Kirstie!! Heck the last commercial they had her sitting in a convertible, what's next, behind a piano?

http://delivery.viewimages.com/xv/76...9E1B280B4B31D9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bargoo View Post
Marie Osmand? Doesn't she weigh like 90 pounds soaking wet? I remember the Monica Lewinski debacle with Jenny I was working there at the time and I asked upper management why we would want her as a role model.I think, unfortunately, some people are just waiting to see people fail. I say give them a break, hey , they are doing something about thier weight problem, not an easy job, as most any dieter can tell you.
Old 08-25-2007, 09:38 PM   #20
Wild Angels

Height: 5'2

Thanks for the exercise info Pookie! Totally missed it!

You have a point, K8-EEE. I'm not trying to be mean or petty, but just looking at this from a realistic point of view. If you're going to be a spokesperson for a diet ad, you have got to live up to it. If you fail, at least be honest with the public about it. I believe in this way, the media wouldn't be so quick to snap photos of you all the time, and might even give you a bit more of a break than they would have normally when trying to "catch that photo that implicates you in a lie". I too have noticed that they are showing more of Valerie than they are of Kirstie in commericals, and have wondered if they are slowly phasing out Kirstie. Even the outfits Kirstie is shown wearing these days are mostly free-flowing dresses where you can't tell if she really lost any or not. Normally I wouldn't be so critical of such details, but when the public is trying to gauge whether or not this specific Jenny Craig program works (and keep in mind, you're PAYING for this should you pick this plan), whoever is the spokesperson for this has got to live up to the claims, or at least be honest about why they're failing and how they are working on it.
Old 08-26-2007, 12:25 PM   #21

Any program is only as good as how it is being applied, so I don't think just because she or anybody else has setbacks it means other people can't be successful on it.

I just don't like the dishonesty, it just irks me that she's all, oh, my contract forbids me to gain more than 5 lbs, oh brother, contract schmontract excuse me I do have eyes in my head, who is she trying to kid?

That new commercial with Val Bertinelli jumping out of the cake (looking great) Kirstie is AT LEAST!! 20 pounds up from her Oprah weight and seems to dress exclusively in these odd mu-mu things, while being featured in articles like "how I keep it off.," gimme a break.

These dresses she wears remind me of the old Lynne Redgrave WW commercials where she's in the big "fat dress" and rips it off in the end?

Repeat.