3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Overeaters Anonymous (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/overeaters-anonymous-61/)
-   -   topic for the week: escaping (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/overeaters-anonymous/97545-topic-week-escaping.html)

marny 11-05-2006 09:26 PM

topic for the week: escaping

How have I used excess food to escape life's problems?

CrispyMama 11-09-2006 02:01 PM

I have been thinking about this one. At first I thought, Well...I eat it!

Then I started thinking about how I love to eat alone at night. Being alone was a big part of it. Also the t.v. or a book. I would start a book (trashy romance being my favorite!;) ) or put in a movie and eat away.

When I am alone and wraped up in a fictional story, while feeding my addiction, the escape is complete. No worries, no stress, no problems.

I always hated to be interupted because it brought me back to reality.

carlady 11-10-2006 02:18 AM

never thought I had a problem

I never realized I had a problem until I came into OA. Oh I Knew that I was overweight, but it never dawned on me that I was eating to escape. Being in OA and doing the steps is like finding a secret room in my head where a mirrored door slides open to reveal a life long stroy unfolding. The truth was I hoarded food, gorged at buffets as though someone or something was going to take it away. I was eating as though my survival counted on it. In the insanity of it all I was surrounding my body in fat as a protective layer, so bad things and nasty comments couldn't pierce the protective fat layer. It was mental armour. Now I realize that the emotional baggage I was hiding from can be dealt with in other ways and food is not a salve. I liken it to heroin, for a temporary high and release from reality but the crash gets harder as we get older and our bodies get use to the load.

It was a temporary escape (the sugar rush). Now I enjoy the escape of meditation and seeing where my HP and minds eye take me with this new found room.

Happy abstinence.
Carlady

marny 11-10-2006 10:49 AM

You guys are awesome. You are helping yourselves AND being of great service to others who read this forum. What you've written nails it on the head.

deebygrace 11-20-2006 03:23 PM

I have been so busy with school work I have not answered the questions.
I have used food as an escape in that when I am alone, I have used it as a comfort. I have sat there, and mindlessly ate things that I knew were not good for me, but continued. I was not hungry but I just needed comfort. I have used food to be my companion instead of calling a friend.
I am so greatful for the tools of OA because I am more aware of what I am doing, and able to stop myself before a binge and give it over to the God of my understanding
Thanks for letting me share
Denise

marny 11-20-2006 11:24 PM

Hey Denise!
Great to hear from you.