Height: 5'2"

Default How's it going Charlene?

Check in and let me know how you are.
marny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 07:34 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 163.5/142/120

Height: 5' 1"

Thanks for checking in Marny

I am doing okay. I am going to a meeting tonight and sat in on two online meetings yesterday. Met some nice people online.

I am trying not to concentrate on what I'm eating as much as my feelings. You were so right that the eating part is the least of my problems right now. That rang a bell for me, so I feel like that's a step. I'm actually feeling a little compassion toward myself instead of self loathing for my current state.

I haven't done the writing yet. My son is off from school this week for fall break, so it's been hard to steal a moment to myself.

I'll let you know how the meeting went.

Thank you,

Charlene
charlenej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 12:35 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 190/125/135

Charlene--
You are getting to meetings! There's an old program saying, "Meeting makers make it." Great job.

I'd like you to think about and develop a beginning abstinence definition. My first abstinence was to eat 3 meals and 1 snack. They were more like 3 large buffets and a snack. But, I was committed to only eating at those predetermined times. It really helped me to have some form of abstinence, and begin trusting God to get me through to the next meal. I often felt like I had to eat A LOT since I wasn't going to get to eat until my next meal. Over time I learned that I was going to be okay not eating for 4 hours. I learned that I could make it, and I even learned that I could get to the next meal without being hungry. Amazingly, I learned what being hungry actually felt like. Before my abstinence, I had never gone long enough without eating to actually feel real hunger.

I am not asking you for a food plan or to put limits on what you eat, only when you eat. We'll come up with a food plan and better define your abstinence later down the road.

How do you feel about that? Will you commit to an abstinence plan?
Old 10-24-2006, 01:48 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 163.5/142/120

Height: 5' 1"

Marny,

Thank you. I need to be at the meetings. I'm tired of isolating myself and feel a need to connect with those that understand.

Tonight's meeting was great. Just under 20 people. All shapes and sizes of people on different levels of recovery. I didn't share, but I listened. I'm much more of a writer than a talker, so that may be hard for me. Does anyone ever read their share?

I'm just blown away at how supportive people are. One woman during her share looked right at me and said, "You are the most important person in the room tonight. We are here for you. Welcome home. Please keep coming back." She shared her freedom from food, finally giving the addiction over to her HP. She now rarely thinks about food. Rarely thinks about food... A concept completely baffling to me at this moment.

She and several others raised theirs hands as someone that would be willing and available to be a sponsor. Several people told me she has a lot of recovery and experience in the program and may be a good match for me as a sponsor.
-------------------
Wow, the abstinence plan you proposed at first made my heart speed up but then I read the last part of it I am not asking you for a food plan or to put limits on what you eat, only when you eat.

I think that's doable. Three meals and a snack. I'll commit to that for tomorrow. I'll be gone part of the day with my son and will check in tomorrow evening.

Thank you Marny... the online angel
charlenej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 11:03 AM   #5  

Charlene-
Wow, what a great meeting! It's so awesome to hear about the amazing support and love in OA meetings everywhere.

Let's call this day one of your abstinence. 3 meals and a snack. I'm with you in spirit, but more importantly your higher power is right there with you, and he loves you just as you are--right where you are. Remember that you are doing this one day at a time. Let tomorrow take care of itself.
Old 10-26-2006, 12:33 AM   #6  

charlene-
I was driving in the car today and remembered your question about reading your share. I've done that twice. The first time was the first time that I shared in a meeting. I knew that I had to write it down, and it helped to kinda hide behind the paper as I read it. The second time was when I was asked to speak at our meeting. Like you, I'm more of a writer than a speaker. So, I wrote down everything that I wanted to say, and read it. It worked great for me. No one minded that I read it. I think folks are thankful from any share from the heart whether it's read or not.