Old 04-25-2006, 02:20 PM   #1  
I've had a rough week...

S/C/G: 245/234.5/230

Default My First Meeting, a bit overwhelming

I just got home from my first meeting. I'm not really sure what I thought.

I sat in the car for what seemed like hours (probably 15 minutes) before, debating if I was actually going to walk in or if I should just drive away. I finally worked up the nerve to walk in!

Of course being a shy person, it was rather akward for me. But overall I'm glad I went. I didn't feel up to reading from the books that they had, I just didn't think I was ready to jump that far in yet

They had some books there, daily passages (I don't remember what they were called exactly.) Should I get those if I'm going to stay in the program? And how much do they cost??

I'm thinking of going to another meeting tomororw if I can. It sounded like many of the members do multiple meetings. And I think if I get the hang of this down that OA can be very helpful for me. I just need to not be so shy and ask my questions!
MtaTJac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 04:50 PM   #2  

Congratulations, you took a great step. You will get over your shyness as soon as you realize you can trust OA people. Feel all the feelings and let them go. Meetings will not hurt--believe me. Keep posting. I enjoy reading your posts. Carol
CarolG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 12:29 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 190/125/135

Height: 5'2"

Hurray! You did it! You are not the only one who has sat in the parking lot getting up the nerve to go in! I've read many personal OA stories with similar beginnings. :-)

I can totally relate to the feeling of being overwhelmed at your first meeting. It's a lot.

If you are going to buy something, I recommend that you start with the OA 12 steps and 12 traditions. It will answer your questions, help you get started, and give you a good idea of how it works. I believe they run about 10.00. However, you can buy them used on Amazon.com for about $3 plus shipping--of course it takes a while to get to you.

I'm so proud of you for going to the meeting. It is so hard to walk through that door the first time. I remember having tremendous fear, doubt, uncertainty, and anger about it. However, by the time the meeting was over, those feelings were soothed, and I had a new wonder about the program.

We're here for you!
marny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 12:34 AM   #4  
I've had a rough week...

The women (and that's all there were!) were so wonderfully nice! I couldn't believe it. Although I am thinking of going to another meeting later this week, just to get the feel for it...

I'm so confused with all of what they're talking about! I was kind of lost with all the "Thank You's" and the Prayer that everyone seemed to know *eek* And they did some reading from a book (a white book with dates) and all looked at me to read and I just said "No Thanks" I was so confused!
Old 04-26-2006, 12:42 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 190/125/135

Height: 5'2"

I don't know what the white book with dates was.

You did the right thing saying "no thanks". OA is a process. There is so much to learn and absorb, you can only do a bit at a time. You will know when you are ready to read in a meeting. There's no rush... the learning happens during the journey.

Yes, there are more women then men. We have 2 men that come to our meeting from time to time, but often it's only women.

Have you looked at the OA website? I think it's www.oa.org
marny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 12:45 AM   #6  
I've had a rough week...

I have checked out the oa website, as well as a few others out there...