3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Support Forum > Chicks in Control > Overeaters Anonymous

Old 05-15-2005, 11:28 PM   #1
Steph

Talking May=Step 5

Step 5
Admitted to God, to ourselves and to another human being the exact nature of our wrongs.

"I believe that the happiest an individaul is ever going to be is when he is in this pattern of living, relying on God and on other people. This is the design of life-to relay on God and others, as well as ourselves" (Joe McQ The Steps We Took)

Guide through the Big Book for this Step (from Back to Basics(AA literature))-
Read page 72, paragraph 2, lines 9-13 and page 73, lines 1-10. This is WHY we need to admit our shortcomings to another person.
Read page 74,paragraph 2, lines 7-9 and page 75, line 1. This explains that the person we choose has to be close mouthed, trustworthy and supportive. He or She mus never discuss our inventory with anyone else.
Read page 75, paragraph 1, lines 1-8. Specific instructions for taking the 5th Step.
Read page 75, paragraph 2, lines 1-2. More direction on taking the 5th Step.
Read page 75, paragraph 2, lines 2-11. A list of benefits we receive as a result of taking this step.
Read page 75, paragraph 3, lines 1-12. What we need to do after we have finished sharing our inventories.

Also, try AA 12&12 and OA 12&12 for more informtion on this Step.

Half Measures Don't Bring The Freedom We Are Seeking!

So, open discussion on this Step. Some questions to ponder could include (but are not limited to)
How did I feel about doing my 5th Step?
What did I feel like after I did my 5th Step?
Who did you choose to give you 5th Step to?
Are you having or have you had difficulties with this Step, why?

Please share WHATEVER you want with regards to this Step. Any experience, strength or hope for those who are still suffering or struggeling in this disease.

"And acceptance is the answer to all of my problems today."
Blessed and Free is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2005, 11:43 PM   #2
Steph

I was really nervouse about doing my 5th Step. My sponsor at that time was a woman who was old enough to my grandmother and I thought "She is going to think I am insane". I was over 60 days abstinent (I feel that is important, that is why I am mentioning it), when I did my 4th Step and then my 5th Step. Personally, I feel that there needs to be a strong foundation in place (Steps 1-3), and abstinence achieved before going into the 4th Step (the mind needs to be defogged and cleared). And it's not a laundry list of all the horrids things that I've done in my life. It's an acknowledgement of my faults, where I've messed up and then the 5th Step is accepting them and releasing them. Anyway, I gave my 5th Step away to my sponsor, we met about 3 hours before a meeting we both attend, sat out on the front lawn of the church and I just read her my inventory (I used the 4th Step Invetory Guide availible through OA literature). And to my suprise were her comments like, "I did that" or "I know that feeling". The 5th Step really made me realize that I am not that much different from everyone else at my meeting, we are the same. We then read read aloud the last 2 paragraphs on page 75 of the Big Book. It was a very freeing experince for me. I began the long process of forgiving myself. I am still working at that. It's sometimes babysets for me, I have to always remember that it is "progress, not perfection".
I've heard of people who burn their inventory after they give it away. Hey, whatever works!

Old 05-16-2005, 02:15 PM   #3
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

I don't have the book so I'll just read up on you all

Courage doesn't always roar.
Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying,
"I will try again tomorrow."
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 03:10 PM   #4

Height: 5'-2"

I don't have it, either. I'm really hoping to get back to a meeting soon, and I'll pick up the book.

"Wouldn't it be wonderful to take all the evil people and put them over there, then we wouldn't have to deal with them. And all of us good people would stay right here. The problem is that the line separating good and evil cuts right through the human heart." Alexander Solzenitzen
ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 04:12 PM   #5
Steph

I stongly encourage both of you to get the Big Book. I know that it can be ordered thoguth the OA website under their literature tab. It's such an awesome book.
Have either of you done your fifth step yet or can you share on what this step means to you?

Old 05-17-2005, 09:54 AM   #6
Curvy Vixen

hmm step five. Not an easy one. Nature of my wrongs? You mean I have wrongs? Few months ago I would have argued that. I'm a good wife, mother, daughter and friend. I'd drop my world to help you out if you needed me but.......... I am selfish, my addiction has zapped me of my energy to run wild with my kids, so how is that being a good mother? I have denied my husband relations because I felt sooo fat, how is that being a good wife? I made the most fattening of foods for my friends when they came over, how is that being a good friend?.. I have many wrongs.. one day, one meal...atta time...thanx for listening...

It's all in the attitude!

198/194/128
"This isn't a dress rehearsal, it is your final performance"

THIS TIME I AM GOING TO DO THIS!!!~
PURPLEPANSY is offline   Reply With Quote