3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Overeaters Anonymous (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/overeaters-anonymous-61/)
-   -   Scared Newbie (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/overeaters-anonymous/41388-scared-newbie.html)

beachgal 05-31-2004 11:03 AM

Scared Newbie

Hi, guys.

I've been posting in the South Beach (SBD) forum for a month or so now, and have had great success on SBD. Long before I started SBD, I considered OA. However, a series of other commitments on the evenings that meetings are held in my area kept me from attending. Last week I realized that as of next week, I will be free to attend either meeting as my commitments are done for the summer. I also realized that I am terrified of going. I know that I treat food as a drug. That I eat and eat and eat to stuff my fears, which are huge. I feel really powerful on SBD, knowing that I am truly doing something good for me that is very difficult for me to do. However, I also know that as time goes on, I am likely to have problems and need something to help me through that is not food. I hope that joining OA will be a great supplement to my diet and help me through those rough times.

I am in therapy for depression and anxiety, which I control through a variety of meds. My therapist says she fully supports my joining OA and feels that it will be a great complement for my therapy as well.

Nontheless, I am really scared. I feel much better when I know what to expect...can anyone fill me in on what happens at a meeting, what is likely to occur when I go for the first time, and what I do if I find that I like OA, but not the specific meeting I am attending. I am lucky to have two meetings to choose from in my area...is it possible to check them both out before choosing which one to attend?

Thanks for helping me out! :goodvibes:

Jennelle 05-31-2004 01:17 PM

Laurie -

I've only gone to one meeting, and I loved it. (I haven't been able to go back and won't for a few more weeks because I'm going on vacation.)

Here's what happened at mine: It was held in a small outbuilding of a church. When I walked in, I was greeted warmly with smiles and handshakes. They gave me a newcomer's packet filled with information on the program and showed me some other things that were available if I wanted to purchase them (but I didn't get a hard sell!).

When the meeting started, they involved me immediately. I read the twelve traditions. :) When you share, you completely have the floor. You just share 'til you're done. You don't get any unwanted advice or stuff like that. At the end of the meeting, there were hugs all around and people stayed to chat. It felt comfortable. :)

It took me almost six months to just do it. I had every excuse in the book....no meetings when I can go (but now there's one on Sunday nights)....too far to drive (well, it is 35 miles, but I've driven 250 for a college football game!). My advice to you is to just go. They tell you to give it six meetings before you decide if it's really for you. I guarantee that you'll find someone just like you at the first meeting. :)

Tell us how it goes!

rochemist 05-31-2004 03:50 PM

Meetings are a safe loving place for me. This is not a program that works in isolation. :) Go to 6 meetings and see how you feel girlie.

Chris

beachgal 05-31-2004 03:54 PM

Thanks! Glad to know that I am not alone in finding excuses for not going...both meetings are over a half hour away, but I travel that far to go to the mall, and what is more important? ;)

beachgal 06-08-2004 11:32 AM

So, I went to the OA website and found a meeting about a half hour away on Mondays. I did call the phone number provided to ask directions, but no one called me back. I drove out there last night and found the meeting place to be in a retirement home. I wandered around trying to find the group, only to be accosted by a group of elderly ladies. They all wanted to know what I was looking for, and none of them seemed to be able to hear me. It was kind of like that scene in Mr. Mom where they ask for a price check on the tampons he's buying. ;) All of them yelling, "Overeaters Anonymous?" to each other, then basically saying, "we don't serve that kind around here!". One of them was holding a plate full of an enormous slab of cake. It was like a scene out of a nightmare! :( I am not sure what to think!

Does anyone know how I can find a meeting in my area with assurance that it still takes place?

rochemist 06-08-2004 02:18 PM

Calling to confirm meetings is one thing, which you did. I am so sorry it didn't work out. In NY you should have lots of options. If you want PM me with your zip code and I will take a look :)

Chris