Tips to avoid a Binge

• Hello everyone, I was wondering, what do you girls do to avoid a binge? I've noticed that everyday, around 3-4pm, I get hungry, and will binge. Does anyone else feel like there is a time when the urge to binge gets really bad? What do you do when you don't want to binge but feel the cravings?
    Thanks!
  • For me, the only thing that seems to work is to take a nap. Otherwise, I can't stop thinking about eating.
  • Read something, anything, from your OA books or literature! Of course, ask your HP for help too!
  • 3-5 PM is a very typical time to want to overeat. Many people have a natural lull in their energy at this time. You might be trying to prop up yourself energetically to get through the rest of the day. If this is a problem, addressing your sagging energy directly can help. So, take a nap, have a big glass of water, read something inspiring... just do something that really does help your energy level stay up. I know for me, I think that binging will help me feel better but it never does. I feel worse every time.

I have planned my meals so that I have a 4 PM mini-meal every day. I plan to eat something nutritious every day because I do need more than 3 meals a day. My body is such that I need food about every 3-4 hours while I'm awake.
  • My critical time is right after lunch, because the habit of eating multiple desserts after lunch is still stuck at the back of my head.

It really helps me if I eat at a restaurant that is a walking distance from home – so I have a little walk after. When I get home, the urge to binge is usually gone.

If I’m at home, diet soda and/or tea help me get passed it.
  • This happens to me too. I have two points in the day when I binge, around 10.30 am and 2-4pm.

I'm reflecting on this now, after reading your question. Things that have worked?, I used to organise that I always at the gym in the afternoon (not so feasible if at work, but I was home, full time mum) and that stopped my afternoon binge completely.

A nap will sometimes help, the only problem with that is, when I wake up I am in full blown binge mode. May help you though. Good luck, and know that you're not alone- fight it. Let's do it together!
  • I also do a snack at 4-ish and then head to the gym around 5.