Old 12-30-2012, 07:18 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 333/T/190

Height: 5'4

Default My OA Journey

I came to OA about 19 months ago and I have been actively involved in my weight loss journey for about 21 months.

I just recently started going to 90 day meetings. I have found that for me, my recovery has been up and down. I have gained these last 5 pounds and lost them at least ten times during the last 6 months. It feels good to not have gained 50 pounds but its so much work mentally to continue to do this to myself.

I started going to the 90 day meetings because I needed to see recovery. At my home group I have people that I love there but there are only a couple of us that are actually losing weight. In the 19 months that I have been there I can think of me and one other person that have physically changed. I realize the program is threefold but I needed to see and hear about recovery. I feel like my meeting turned into a whine fest and it was rare that we talked about the Big Book at all.

The 90 day meeting that I am going to is amazing. I dont get to share because I dont have 90 days of abstinence. I dont know that I will ever get to share because I dont know that I am going to follow that specific plan. They abstain from sugar, flour, caffeine, gum, and mints. They make three phone calls a day plus calling in their food to their sponsor every day and they go to three meetings a week.

I am going to try to go to two to three meetings a week and I am just trying to make better healthier food choices and I am back to logging my calories into my fitness pal app every time I eat something. Right now, this seems to be working for me. I love that the people in the program are able to eat so clean and have it not drive them crazy but for me, I would go nuts. I am praying for the willingness to make more changes.

I wanted to start this thread mainly to hold myself accountable but also in case anyone else is interested in the 90 day meetings and plan but isnt quite ready to jump all the way in yet.

I would love to hear about anyone elses experience with OA as well.
abbysue715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 04:59 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 161/161/130

Height: 5'4"

Default Thanks for your share

I have just joined this website and am happy to see you share. I entered OA 25 years ago and have still fluctuated 25-30 lbs and at age 67 I m tied of the yo yo. I have spent the last 5 years in the BBA solely because of the belief that following the Big Book and the steps could relieve my other problems like overeating. I believe in the partial solution. I feel Ike I am finally willing to give up compulsive eating. Looking for someone to share the goal of eliminating these 25 lbs with. I am interested in knowing more about the 90 day meetings. I too believe in the three fold part of this disease

Last edited by Angelgrace; 01-03-2013 at 05:01 AM. Reason: Added more thoughts
Angelgrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 02:22 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 333/T/190

Height: 5'4

Jump all the way in! I was praying for the willingness and I got it. Today is my 8 th day. I call my sponsor everyday and we talk for 15 minutes. I commit my food to her in the morning and that's what I eat all day. I call three people from program everyday and I am reading out of the Big Book, For Today, Voices of Recovery, and 24 Hours in a Day. It's amazing the difference in the way I feel about myself in just over a week. I'll write more later but I just wanted to update real quick.
abbysue715 is offline   Reply With Quote