Old 06-29-2011, 09:22 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 210/210/130

Height: 5'5"

Default Any OA members out there?

I went to my second OA meeting last night. Very nice and friendly people, but the meeting isn't very helpful or supportive. One person leads by reading froma a script, very little sharing, and then the meeting is over. This is not what I was hoping for from OA> I thought we would work through the steps and I thought I would have a sponsor.

Actually, are ther any OA members on this forum? No one has posted in days.
swansong56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 10:37 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 238.5/?/no more scale 4 me!

Height: 5ft 4 (on a good day!)

Bumping this up for you....i've always wanted to go to OA but didn't know what to expect
bellastarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 11:15 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 210/210/130

Height: 5'5"

The people were friendly. I guess I thought it would be more like a support group, the opportunity to share is limited. I don't know who the sponsors are, or for that matter if they have any since from what I read the sponsorrs should introduce themselves. There is only one other weekly meeting where I live and it is run by the same woman. She is very nice and sincere about OA.

I will try that meeting this Saturday. I'm discouraged, but i will try a few more meetings.
swansong56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 12:42 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 333/T/190

Height: 5'4

try an online meeting. I love my face to face meeting and we always have time to share.
abbysue715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 03:45 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 272/245/174

Height: 5'10

Hi, Swansong -

I had gotten out of the habit of checking this board regularly. You'll have to reach out to somebody to find a sponsor; people don't usually offer to do it for you. Find somebody who has what you want, and talk to them about it. If it feels right, ask them if they'd sponsor you.

If the meeting you went to wasn't to your liking, then see if there is another one that works better for you. And, some meetings of the same groups are better than others. It is probably a good idea to go for at least a month before giving up on a group.

And, the suggestion of on-line meetings is a good one. You can find them at the OA website. Good luck!

DanB
dannyb is offline   Reply With Quote