Closed Thread

Old 01-21-2001, 02:27 AM   #1  

This is great!
I am so glad there is an OA thread on this message board. I have a question about
OA - I have been a member for quite some time - and I do believe that OA is what helps me with The spiritual and emotional part of the compulsive over-eating disease. However, I am unfortunately back up to my all time high weight - and I am wondering if anyone out there has had any success Working the Weight Watcher program in addition to the OA program. I know I have to do something And I do not want what the people in the Long Beach are have found working the HOW (a strict food plan and a judgmental attitude for those who do not follow the HOW program - even though any foodplan in OA is considered an OUT-SIDE issue - and therefor not a part of OA - some people follow this strict regimen - and find the obsession for compulsive overeating is lifted - however a new obsession is given- the I am better than you because I am on HOW and have lost weight obsession).
I have been attempting to do the WW program - and have had some success - however - I am very curious to know if anyone has been on WW and worked there OA program with out any conflict. I am having a hard time attending meetings in my area -- because of the "HOW mentality" -- and I am having a difficult time finding the time to drive to LA -- where there are some really great meetings.
Thank you!!!
Twwink
Old 01-21-2001, 09:18 PM   #2  

Hi Twwink. I don't see where there is an inherent conflict between WW and OA. In OA one can choose any food plan. I do understand your dilemma w/ HOW tho. South of Long Beach are several newer meetings which follow a format for beginners and oldtimers called No Nonsense. You might be able to find one through your Region or OA World Service. The woman who started them moved there from the East where she started several still thriving meetings using the same format. Even if you have to take a whole day to go to and from one of those meetings I think it would be well worth it. Good luck.
Old 01-21-2001, 09:24 PM   #3  

Twwink, I just remembered the town she's in. It's Temeculah.
Old 01-23-2001, 08:44 PM   #4  

Thank you for you reply loyall -- I plan on giving it a try!!!
Old 01-26-2001, 04:19 AM   #5  

I was going to OA & doing good at WW but I really felt like I couldn't tell each group about the other . I end up leaving both .
I'm back doing ww but want & need to deal with being a food addict.
Old 01-26-2001, 10:47 AM   #6  

I was attending both OA and WW for quite a while. I defined my abstenance as 5 meals per day- no coffee, tea, chocolate,sugar or fake sugar, and I stayed with-in the point ranges associated with W.W.

Some friends of mine in OA used WW as a Tool of recovery- the foodplan. I really enjoyed the meetings..(WW ya know, diet and calories club) I also felt the scale kept my denial at bay

Today I am thinking I better do something..hmmm could this be relapse?
Old 02-02-2001, 05:20 AM   #7  
WW Ultra Diva Wench

I've been on WW's food plan for 29 months. I've been in OA for 17 months. I went to OA with no intention of being HOW abstinent whatsoever. I wasn't going to deprive myself of anything! Guess what, I've been off sugar, white flour, and wheat for 15 months. I've been off alcohol for 23 years. BUT I'm abstinent 9 months because I compulsively ate last April after having 6 months abstinent. I just Let go and let God and that is how I became HOW abstinent. I also attend an FAA meeting (Food Addicts Anonymous). I truly take it one day at a time.
There are people who are not HOW abstinent and not abstinent as far as FAA's food plan is concerned, but they still attend those meetings for what they can get out of the meeting. I get something out of every meeting I go to, even WW.
The program works when I work it.

------------------
If it is to be, it is up to me! One second,
one minute, one hour, one meal, one day at a time!
Old 02-02-2001, 07:35 PM   #8  

My OA meetings attract many people who also do HOW and many who follow a WW food plan. We're fortunate that there is a lot of long term recovery and a lot of sharing after the meetings when some of us eat an abstinent lunch. This is a luxury that I miss when I'm working. There is room for all kinds of plans and programs in OA. All one needs for membership is the desire to stop eating compulsively. I have a metabolic adjustment (snack in plain English) but most of our local members don't....I also like the absence of judgment in our meetings. I hope all who are reading this but haven't yet found a meeting in which they felt "at home" can find this serenity.

loyall
Old 02-16-2001, 09:31 AM   #9  

I started going to OA meetings again. I don't have a sponsor yet, but in the past, I've been successful when I was committed to going to the meetings and speaking to my sponsor every day. It helped me stay abstinent. I'm glad I found this board, and I intend on posting every day...whether I have a "good" day or a "bad" day.

So here goes...I just ate something in the car and I didn't even enjoy it. As I'm eating, I'm saying this is terrible! I don't know why I do it, but it's a pattern I hope to break. Thanks for listening, and if you have any insight, I'd appreciate it.
Old 02-16-2001, 09:56 AM   #10  

All I can suggest is to keep going to meetings, use all the tools and all the steps. There is so much good literature available too. Good luck.

loyall
Closed Thread