Handle Emotions without overeating?

• Hi, I'm in OA--I go to the phone meetings mostly. I'm upset today, and I don't want to handle my feelings by overeating. My off and on boyfriend, who is just a friend really, gave me back my keys yesterday and basically told me to have a nice life, because I am seeing a platonic male friend this weeked. Of course it doesn't make sense, but I'm still upset. I lost one female friend recently because she passed away from cancer in March. Another friend retired from the place we both worked--I saw her every day--and is dealing with a very sick husband. And yet another friend is having serious emotional problems, but she was able to be there for me today.
    My support system is dwindling and I need to keep reaching out. Food wise, I am doing a combination of calorie counting and Weight Watchers this week. I went back to one of the WW meetings yesterday. I was doing OA with a long list of trigger foods to avoid. Right now, sugar (meaning desserts with sugar) and dried fruit is on my list of foods to not eat. That,and a reasonable number of calories and/or points. It's great having a sponsor. I was emailing her my food daily but I slacked off on that. I chat with her on the phone. I am supposed to be working through the 12 step workbook, but I haven't touched it in several days. Thanks for listening. I'm happy to chat about food plans, emotional eating, relationships, steps, etc., etc.
  • Hi, Lilyyoung. I'm an emotional eater also. One of the things that I find helps is to focus on how I am feeling. After a lifetime of responding to stress (or excitement. or being bored. or being tired) by eating, it takes a while to re-learn. By living "within yourself" and being mindful of how you feel and why you feel that way, you'll be able to focus on what is really bothering you.

My sponsor suggested that I come up with a list of 10 "next best things" to do to calm down when feeling stressed. Maybe that'll help.

Hang in there!

DannyB
  • I here you! I like that 10 best ways frm above. Here is my list to avoid eating my emotions.
    1 brush my teeth
    2. take a hot shower or bath (this helps)
    3. Drink some hot tea
    4.take a nap
    5. journal what I am feeling
    6 go for a walk - or hike if you can!
    7.Rewrite my goals
    8. phone a friend!