• Hello everyone. I'm new to the board and new to admitting I have a problem with overeating. Well, I've known awhile, but I'm finally looking to do something about it.

I've Googled OA meetings and found a few near me. I have no idea what to expect. I've been to AA meetings before, but the alcohol part didn't really apply to me. I completely related to everyone at the meeting, EXCEPT the alcohol part. I have all of the other 'isms if you know what I mean.

I think OA is exactly what I need. My eating seems to be spiraling out of control. I've gained an enormous amount of weight in the last few years. Twenty lbs just in the last few months. (I was already overweight, but after my hysterectomy, I quickly gained twenty more lbs.)

What do I do? Where do I start? How often do you go to meetings? I'm desperate to change.
  • Hi Texas Hope.... You're already off to a good start. Finding meeting in your area and then GO. You will find friendly people that understand what you are going through.

I go to a minimum of three meetings a week--two of them are OA and one is an open AA meeting. The important thing is to go where the 12 steps are discussed.

Feel free to message me if you want to talk more.
  • Thanks for the reply. Tomorrow is the first meeting I could find.
  • I went to my first OA meeting tonight. Imagine my surprise when my coworker walked in! At first, I was sick to my stomach, then I resigned myself to believe it was "God" thing and meant to be.

I'm going back on Saturday.
  • Oh yea, I picked up a desire chip.
  • YAY!!! Very good! You are well on your way to recovery.

I know you said that you couldnt relate at an AA meeting because of the alcohol thing...when I go, I just substitute "food" for "alcohol" and it works well for me.