first OA meeting

• Hi I am new here and I went to my first OA meeting today It was so good to finally realize that I am not alone in my struggles with food addiction and to hear the support and the other members stories! It is so different than any other meeting that I have ever been too, and I am so glad I took the first step and went!! I have been a food addict for 15 years and I am so ready to get help!
  • Good for you! The first step is the hardest, I think food addiction is real and it's hard to beat 12 step programs for recovery. Good luck!
  • You did the hardest part-you went to the meeting. 11 months ago I went to my first OA meeting since then I've lost 50lbs(kept it off), have emotional,spiritual,and physical recovery. Keep comming back it will work if you work it!
  • Hi, I am also new to OA this is my 4th day of abstinence. What a trip! Tonight has been a little difficult. I wanted seconds of food I have on my program. I'm OK right now. Having positive thoughts about the program and the hope it brings helps me to get past the hard moments. I was told if I think its too hard, the power of my disease will convince me that its not worth it. What is so appealing about OA is the honesty. People walk to talk.
    Lisa
  • Hi leure!

Yes, the honesty is great and sometimes overwhelming. Four days is great, and even if you slip please just remember to keep coming back. Once you know the solution if out there it is such a comfort to know where to go to hear what you need and get experience, strength and hope.
  • Howdy from Texas!.. I'm new here & new to OA... went to my first meeting yesterday morning & it was great!.. I'm still reading through the brochures in the Newcomer's Packet & have to admit that I don't quite "get it," how this program could really work, but I'm confident that as time goes on, from going to meetings & visiting this forum, that I will get it & that it WILL WORK...

Meanwhile, I'm looking forward to getting to know all of you & letting y'all get to know me... I'm glad to learn that there's an answer to all my years of struggling with my weight... I expect the program to turn out to be something I can eventually extend to other areas of my sometimes chaotic life...
  • Welcome Aunt Sheshie!

Happy to hear you had a good first experience. OA, like other 12 step programs, is something that you just can't explain exactly why it works, but it does. I would urge you to find a sponsor and to work the steps as soon as you feel comfortable. Please post often!
  • That is awesome!
  • Thanks for the warm welcome!!!.. I'm already thinking about who I might ask to sponsor me... I think I'll go to a couple more meetings first, though... right now there are only 2 meetings in town, one on Saturday morning & the other on Tuesday night... I'm gonna try to make it to both as often as I can...
  • I have been interested in OA for many years but I just have a problem with the spiritual, religious side of it as I am an atheist. You think I would still benefit from the program? Please let me know.
  • Athiests go to OA. Sometimes that "higher power" can be just the sense of support and community received in the meeting.
  • Tonight I went to my first OA meeting. having 20 years in AA i know i am powerless over food. Taking it one day at a time and admitting i'm powerless over food, and trusting God to guide me on my journey is the only way i can learn to live with food.
    Should be interesting getting to know me all over again with my issues around food.
  • Hi Panda,
    Trusting in the higher power could simply mean releasing your sense of control over every aspect of your life. Adjusting your outlook to accept that the world, the universe will continue to follow it's own laws and you're just along for the ride so to speak. And in the end, if you roll with the punches, if you're flexible, you'll be able to adapt and survive. That all in all, at the end of the day, it'll all be alright Cuz nothing will happen that wasn't supposed to happen.

I think that is essentially what turning yourself over to your higher power means.

hope that helps.