Old 09-24-2008, 09:39 AM   #16  
Carrie

S/C/G: 225/221.5/150

Height: 5'7"

Thanks Magic Flute! How ya doing today? SO glad to see your post about OA.

I was a nose-ring-sporting, mowhawkin', punk rock rebelgirl my whole life. I was never "on board" with anything. Hah... It's really different for me to be such a "cheerleader" for something, but honestly, the 12 Steps programs are, for me, The Way.

Apparently I need to post more to be able to put up my cute ticker. Let's talk about OA things!

love to all,
Chickie
ChickieBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 07:10 AM   #17  
Day at a Time

S/C/G: 242/222/140

Height: 5'2"

Thanks Carrie for all the info. I went and found the food addicts diet and I am going to follow that starting tomorrow. Lots of good stuff there. Going to go for a walk as well and going to visit my son so I can get a hug.
Lets keep things going. I have spent years in OA but am just starting to meeat people with some real recovery.
Thanks again....Jude
hijude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 04:00 PM   #18  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

Gee, I think it's a shame that this thread has kinda fizzled; OA is a very popular program and so long-lasting (still going strong in many major cities). I never even knew this thread existed until I did a search for someone else.

I thought I would find it in the faith forum as their is a strong spiritual base in the group too ...

OK, so I just discovered that there is an OA forum on this site ... dah ..........

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 05-22-2010 at 04:04 PM.
Justwant2Bhealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 02:49 AM   #19  

S/C/G: 178/160/130

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChickieBell View Post
These people actually knew about driving through fast food places and ordering enough food for 4 people, and making sure you got enough drinks for 4 people too, so the clerk wouldn't think it was all for you. DIET drinks at that, right? I thought *I* invented that!

These people knew about stopping halfway through a package of cookies and throwing them away, only to find yourself riling through the garbage later on to find and eat them.

These people knew what it felt like to walk into a room full of strangers and feel judged for your weaknesses without every opening your mouth, based on appearance alone.
I still have cold shivers moving from my neck up the back of my head. If I was calling a restaurant, sometimes I would be so embarassed I would say out loud, "You wanted a large fries, right?" just so the waitress would hear me "talking to my friend" and hopefully assume all that food wasn't just for me. And as humiliated as I am right now typing this, I have searched for that half-full package of cookies in the garbage. I used to have a problem with hiding food too. I used to hide it under the sofa, in drawers that were rarely opened.

Now my entire head and arms are full of cold shivers. I really want to delete this, but I think getting it out for the first time might be as cleansing, and relieving, as a good cry, which is something else I hardly ever do. I heard somewhere that our secrets keep us sick, and as I really starting watching my behaviors get worse over the years, I think it's one of the truest statements I've ever heard.

I had started to wonder if I had a food addiction, then I consulted the OA website and looked at the symptoms, and now I am convinced. Any ideas, personal experience, words of encouragement, or thoughts of any kind are welcome. It would be really nice to talk to people who know what I'm talking about when I say I go to three different stores to buy all the food I'm going to eat during a binge to try to avoid the embarassment, and then feel like crap anyway because I've eaten so much.

Thanks for listening,

Alexah
Alexah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 11:20 PM   #20  
BlockHead =)

Alexah,
That kind of admission is huge. Good for you! I'm not an OA member, was just cruising the forums and came across this thread, so I can't speak about OA personally at all, but I now it's helped many, many people. Sweetie, you just took a big first step! Keep it up, find a meeting, see if it feels right to you, if it doesn't keep looking, because there is support in all kinds of forms. There are so so many people who are where you're at and so many who have been there and made it to the other side. Keep posting. You are NOT alone.
Jen
jeniansmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 11:38 PM   #21  

S/C/G: 178/160/130

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeniansmom View Post
Alexah,
That kind of admission is huge. Good for you! I'm not an OA member, was just cruising the forums and came across this thread, so I can't speak about OA personally at all, but I now it's helped many, many people. Sweetie, you just took a big first step! Keep it up, find a meeting, see if it feels right to you, if it doesn't keep looking, because there is support in all kinds of forms. There are so so many people who are where you're at and so many who have been there and made it to the other side. Keep posting. You are NOT alone.
Jen
Wow. Your words are so kind, I can almost you feel you giving me a big hug!! Thank you so much for your support; it really does mean so much. My problem is not one that gets discussed very much. It's easier to listen to my coworkers complain about stresses at work, than to bring up how much food I ate alone that night. That's another reason I love this site. It allows people to talk to others who can either understand or offer genuine support. Thanks again for your post, it was a great reminder there are lots of people out there who really care about others. Take care and good luck in your journey,

Alexah
Alexah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 09:32 PM   #22  

S/C/G: 260/250/150

Height: 5'6"

I am so thankful for this forum. I just joined OA a little over a week ago and I have been searching for active forums online. Please keep coming back and posting. I need each and every one of you for my recovery. I hope to be able to give back to each and every one of you as well!
TexasHope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 11:32 PM   #23  

S/C/G: 230/228/145

Height: 5'6

I seen the name Texas Hope so I had to check this out! I belonged to OA years ago and I truly enjoyed it. I quit for I did not have the time to schedule it in my life so good to see there is one here I really want to join it. Like Rosebud I been scouting around and seen Texas hope and since I am from Texas decided to check it out.
Bootsie is offline   Reply With Quote