Old 09-10-2008, 06:03 PM   #1  

Default Doctor warns me to lose weight

I have been overweight most of my life and been on every diet I suppose that there is you can do yourself. Now the doctor tells me the sugar level has been recently dropped from 110 to 100 and mine is 102. I go back in October for a quick finger tip test after fasting to see what it shows then. She is concerned I may develop diabetis (sp) later in life if I don't get that under control now.

My DH is on a very low fat diet do to tricylercide problems so we eat lots of other things to fill up instead of meat. Now she wants me to cut out lots of those things and I am at a loss on what would be left to eat! So I am hoping to gain some information from this site to help me. Thanks!

Last edited by lovemychickens; 09-10-2008 at 06:04 PM.
lovemychickens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 06:19 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

Hey

Just to focus on one aspect of your post - there are tons of great things to eat that are low in fat and not meat. Low fat dairy (yogurt, string cheese, cottage cheese), fresh vegetables, fruit, healthy carbohydrates (sweet potatoes, whole grain pasta, beans, pulses), heart-healthy fats (salmon, olive oil, nuts and nut butters).

Welcome to 3 Fat Chicks - I know you'll find the support you need to get started!
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 06:35 PM   #3  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

From what I have read the best way to lower triglycerides is to quit smoking, exercise and reduce your weight. Dietary ways to reduce triglycerides will also help decrease insulin resistance and lower high glucose levels. A "low fat" diet isn't necessarily recommended. Diets that are lower in carbohydrates and higher in protein and healthy monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats (olive oil, nuts & nut butters, avocados, flax seed) tend to lower triglyceride more than high-carbohydrate diets. But most important is keeping the total calorie count low. I don't know what was recommended to your DH but dieticians usually want you to place more emphasis on the quality of your carbs (whole grain vs. white flour/sugar) rather than avoiding meat. What has she advised you to eat?
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 08:18 PM   #4  
Erica

S/C/G: 265/Tracker/150

Height: 5'3"

Oh my gosh! there is so much more to this world than meat! As the previous poster stated, you have many options. To help reduce weight, you gotta exercise, eat smaller portions and add lots of fruits and veggies to your diet. Fruits and veggies are absoloutely delicious! You should go to the grocery store and buy all different types to try all of them!
EricaBG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 08:46 PM   #5  
Sherianne

S/C/G: 207/198/140

Height: 5'3"

Hello!
First of all, you should ask your doctor about a specific diet he or she recommends. Often hospitals and health services will have a diet support program and you should see if that is the case in your area. Perhaps, your doctor can recommend one to you. There has been a lot of recent research into pre-diabetic symptoms and a proper diet to get your blood sugar under control. You will want to research diets that come with credible research and those that have the approval of the American Medical Association or other credible sources.

There are lots of support threads here for different types of diets and they all work for the individual needs of each person. I think that if a diet contains all the components for remaining healthy and provides weight loss, then it is a good diet, but each person's metabolism and lifestyle is different so there are lots of choices.

As I have gotten older, I have come to realize that no diet can work the miracle of "sticktoitiveness"; that I have to do that part! And, you will see here that there are many people who are working that miracle and maintaining huge weight losses! They are my heroes.

So good luck, I am relatively new here, but I will keep coming back and I hope to see you here lots, too!

Sheri
Quixotica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 12:42 AM   #6  

Guess I may have been confusing on my post. I don't have a problem with not eating meats, we rarely do eat meats. We have lived on a extremely low fat diet for years because of my DH's problem with his triglycerides. He has done well till a very tramanic accident and since then we have a hard time with his levels with the same diet and now meds. Because of this accident and the shape he has been left in excercise for him is not very possible. He has a head injury and physical limitations since it.

My problem is we eat lots of other things that now the doctor wants me to cut out! Breads, potatoes, I guess in other words carbs. And because of DH's diet that is what we live on; as we don't eat meats. An example is we will eat beans and rice to have our protein. Now the Dr. tells me no beans no rice. So I am just at a loss on what to eat.
lovemychickens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 02:07 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 218/175/155

Height: 5'6"

I'd get a second opinion. Go see a nutritionist if you can. Low carb isn't the answer for everyone's situation and it sounds like it might not work into your lifestyle. A nutritionist might just want you to eat low on the glycemic index. Also, a vegan diet has shown promise in regards to helping prevent or reversing diabetes. That's why I think getting another opinion would be good, there are options out there.

I'd try switching to whole carbs, if you haven't already. Brown rice won't raise your blood sugar as fast as white will. Try finding a high fiber bread too. As I understand it, fiber helps your body absorb foods slower, thus keeping your blood sugar more level.
zenor77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 11:53 AM   #8  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

Brown rice and beans are healthy complex carbs. I'd get a second opinion too from a nutritionist. Breads are tricky because so many of them that say whole grain now are not 100% whole grain and still contain white flour. Read labels to make sure the sugar content is low on the ingredient list and no HFCS added. ALso adding in more MUFA's (monounsaturated fats) like olive oil, canola oil, nuts, nut butters, flaxseed, and avocados has been shown to help with high triglycerides as well as helping you feel full and satisfied with your meals.
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote