Old 01-10-2008, 10:32 AM   #1  
Rebecca

S/C/G: 335/ticker/150

Height: 5'5

Default Obsessions: first food now it's...

Okay, I've got a problem here. I have been abstinent for 1 week now.
which I'm so happy about. I have always been obsessed with food, but now that I'm abstinent I'm finding myself obsessed with OA. Does that make since. Is it okay to be obsessed with OA or am I just substituting my addiction for another one? My husband says I'm driving him nuts, but I wonder if maybe he is just saying that because he's not too suportive or if I am truly annoying with this.
I do find myself going to 2 sometimes 3 online meetings a day, I do calculate all my food on a website that calculates the calories, fats, carbs, protein etc. I do that so I can keep an eye on my nutrition and to not mindlessly eat and to not overeat. That is all part of my food plan. I also do weigh and measure my food (part of my food plan) and I do sometimes cook a seperate dinner for me so stay within my calorie/food plan for the day. I also when not busy at work or home get online on this website or other OA type sites and talk or read inspiring stories. I also read or write everyday. I feel that I HAVE to do this stuff to not relapse. I have relapsed before and just got off a many month long relapse and don't want to do it again. I'm working on my steps and staying abstinent. It seems picture perfect, but hubby says I'm being obsessive. I know I can be, but I don't know how to not be. I'm afraid if I quit being like this that I will not follow the steps and binge or fall off my food plan. Any ideas? I need help please.
yummymummyOA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 11:05 AM   #2  
is baaaad to the bone!

S/C/G: 145!

Height: 5'8"

I understand your dilemma...I have that problem too! I'm obsessive compulsive. I put my mind to something and I do it full throttle. I put my mind to weight loss (the healthy way!) back at the end of September...and I have only had one error (binge). However, I'm obsessive about checking in at 3fc, thedailyplate, and roaming the internet for new "stuff"...I also am obsessive about gym time...I have to go at the same time every day and work my arse off...I don't let dinner/movies/dates get in the way....I don't care who you are. Now I go 5-6 nights/week because I'm obsessed with it.

Good news...these are semi-healthy obsessions...of course, too much of anything...good or bad...is just that...too much...sometimes I wish I could just not do one of my obsessions for just one day...but I can't.

Bottom line...you are not alone.
SunshineRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 11:59 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 304/277/175

Height: 6'0

Smile

I know how you feel. My room mate is a guy whos 6'2 skinny as a rail and he can eat anything he wants and not gain a pound. I feel like im driving him crazy by being on here or talking about it. I think he even get irritated when we go to the store and instead of buying all the junk food i use to im buying healthy food and 100 calorie snack packs. You may feel like your driving him crazy but in the end itll be worth it. In my case just knowing that im starting a diet and doing good raises my self esteem. Imagine how well feel when we meet our goals. Your husband will the realize you were driving him crazy in a good way. Keep it up girl.
letsdoitthistime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 05:03 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 355/326/219

Height: 5'10"

you may be obsessing...you may be driving DH nuts...but is it still worth it to you? you are committed to your abstinense AND you don't have control of how your DH is perceiving or handling this. you are doing this for you and kudos for your 7 days!

i am new to OA and I downloaded the pamphlet To The Family from the OA.org and the explanations gave me a lot of encouragement. i haven't told my family yet and i'm not sure how they will respond...but the words in To The Family give me hope!

if you have never read To The Family...check it out. give your DH a copy, and remember your obsessive behavior is YOURS...if it's not bothering you and it's helping you toward living the steps it can't be such a bad thing can it?

just for today...maybe you tomorrow you won't need to be as immersed as you are today.

hang in there,
junebug69 is offline   Reply With Quote