Old 12-23-2007, 10:38 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 190/125/135

Height: 5'2"

Default Christmas, food, and the people around me

I was at the grocery store yesterday doing my Christmas shopping. Not far from me I heard a child ask, "Mommy, why are you buying so much junk food?" The mommy answered, "Because it's Christmas."

I turned and looked, and sure enough was an overfilled cart with all kinds of junk. Obviously the kid wasn't used to his mom buying so much of it. It's weird to me that so much of our celebrating is wrapped up in eating crap.

I was at my husband's office on Friday. There was lots of food everywhere in anticipation of the holiday. Someone offered me some, and I said no thanks. Then she said, "Oh yeah, you are being really good."

It was such a strange statement. Being good has nothing to do with it-- it's a life or death situation. Am I being "good" when I choose not to drink a bottle of poison?

My mother-in-law who has been incredibly supportive of my recovery has even forgotten a couple of times in the last couple of days that I don't eat dessert. She's so consumed by the thought of it, that she has food on the brain instead of family.

I am so very thankful that I have an OA meeting to go to on Christmas eve. I'm looking forward to it very much. The meeting that I went to on Thanksgiving helped a lot.

I'm committing to you all my abstinence for this holiday. I will only eat at my planned meal times. I will not overeat. I will not eat desserts. I just visualized the meals that I will have over the next two days. I'm set.

Thanks for being here.
marny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 11:05 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 180/130/130

Height: 5'5

Thumbs up

Marny, Thank you for the reminder to take care of myself by respecting my body, instead of attempting to do so with food, during this holiday season I am definately noticing the craziness affecting my eating habits, and I need all the support that I can get.

It's wonderful to have your wise words on the forum!
just_a_dreamy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 10:55 AM   #3  
Bikini Dreader

S/C/G: 141/120/120

Height: 5'3''

It is pretty interesting how so much of the holiday centers around food. I decided to make a goal not to eat any chocolate a few weeks before christmas. I didnt tell my family but when I walked into my father's house, the entire coffee table was covered in snacks - most of which were smothered in chocolate. It was great for me. I didnt have any of it. I had my dinner, then dessert was a chocolate log cake and I didnt have that either. I felt terrific.
The holidays seem to be a licence to overeat and forget about health. For me, that doesnt help, so I try to continue to consider my body. It is true though, I find people will offer and offer. Sometimes because they have overeaten themselves and feel bad or want to get rid of the treats so they dont eat them. I just try to be aware and to realize that this is not the last treat that will be offered. If I dont really want it then I will decide next time whether I want that particular treat or not .There will always be another chance to eat a treat. That thought process helps me. I am defniitely a victim of the "this is my last treat" mindset!
Bikini Dreader is offline   Reply With Quote