Old 10-15-2007, 09:08 PM   #1  
Lovin' Life

S/C/G: 300/too much/155

Default OA Books, and my budget.

Id like to hear your opinions on which books (OA) you recommend the most.

I have the big book, and the 12 & 12. But there seem to be many other oa books that would be worthwhile having and referring to often.

Im on a budget, so which 2 or 3 do you think are your "can't do withouts"
RobinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 09:30 PM   #2  
Becoming myself

S/C/G: 294/233/180

Height: 5'9"

The [only] three that I had for my first 6 months (besides the two you mentioned) were the OA workbook, Abstinence, and For Today (the little daily reader).

I have recently purchased another reader (Voices of Recovery) and A New Beginning (about relapse and recovery) and those are good, too. But I'd go with the others first.

Try Amazon, too. I bought my copy of Abstinence for $2! See what else they have. And try, if you have it, your home meeting. Our OAsis in San Diego has books that can me borrowed, as long as they are returned.
sidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 12:25 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 190/125/135

Height: 5'2"

Like sidhe, our oa group has books for lending also. You can try your local library, used book stores, and amazon is fantastic.

I highly recommend the book "Abstinence" and "For Today". "For Today" has an index in the back where you can look up topics and it will give you the pages that relate. It's very, very helpful. I find the workbook to be a treasure. I appreciated it while working my steps the first time-- it really made me think and dive deeper than I would have without it.
marny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 10:29 PM   #4  
eeg

S/C/G: 215/203/160

Height: 5'6''

I agree with these recommendations. I particularly like "Abstinence" for newcomers. I don't know if you have a "Half-Price Bookstore" where you are, but the usually have books there too.

Emily
eeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 02:10 PM   #5  
Simply Filling Technique

Lightbulb All I can add is.....

I also recommend "Abstinence" and "For today". You should see what those two books (of mine) look like now! The binding is broke on the little book. The front cover swings in the breeze! I have added Step prayers in the front and back empty pages that I have picked up along the way. For the past 8 years, I have shared the readings with my husband who is also a spiritual seeker like myself. He is always so amazed at what they have to say! He has received support, comfort and wisdom from those as well and he does NOT have an eating disorder but he did suffer from mental illness for several decades.

Here is another book you might consider "The Language of Letting Go". It is the official book for Codependents Anonymous but that too is well worn. At the time, I had $20 until I got paid and I spent $12 on it. It has been one of the best sources of dealing with some of the relationship issues that seem to go along with COE.

In fact, I was just thinking about buying new ones because these look so awful but just putting those books in my hands calms me down.

Beg, borrow (don't steal!)but get a hold of these. You will never regret it.

Last edited by pamatga; 11-08-2007 at 02:12 PM.
pamatga is offline   Reply With Quote