Old 08-18-2007, 05:27 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 166/166/130

Height: 5ft1inch

Default 2nd weigh-in. warning: food mentioned.

Cycled over to the gym this morning for my 2nd weigh-in since joining OA. Kept saying the serenity prayer in tune with the rotation of the bicycle wheels so as not to have expectations. Was nervous. I only have to face this every 4 weeks, having worked out a plan with my sponsor in light of letting go an obsession with weight. And I have to say, it’s worked for me to focus on health and nutrition.

As suggested, I use the same electronic scales at my local gym, and don’t keep scales at home anymore.

I was not really due to weigh-in this for another few days, but will be out of town next week. I think I had a hope rather than an expectation – I did feel very well in myself and my clothes felt a bit looser.
Imagine my joy to see I was 6lbs down. 6lbs !! My heart is singing with gratitude to OA, because believe me, this weight loss is not MY doing! I show up. I keep it in the day. I put the action in. The rest is down to OA.

But to anyone starting out this route, can I just share that I have found ‘letting go’ in OA very difficult with the emphasis on trust and spirituality.
My long history of control-freakery seemed so deeply embedded in me, whereby I swung from binge mode to control and diet mode on a never-ending cycle. In the latter stages of my COE, my binge mode was getting bigger and I was just too exhausted to keep starting yet another diet. Or if I did start, it was one of those drastic deprivation diets.

But in OA, I have found hope through members who tell me that yes, change is incredibly difficult, but that change is both essential to my well-being and they show me that change is POSSIBLE by their own recovery from COE.

Here’s a few examples of the change possible for me these past precious weeks. I have lost total of 9lbs by a food plan based on ‘intuitive eating’. My kitchen is now giving house room to stuff I would NEVER have let past the front door! Organic peanut butter! Bananas. High Grade Fish Oil supplements. For years I ignored doctor’s advice to take these foods in moderation for good bone density etc. I guess the difference is I don’t abuse these foods by using them for doorstep sandwiches in processed foods.

All my meals have a high proportion of great veg like broccoli and cauliflower and string beans and salad. I eat protein for breakfast.

I abstain in general from triggers like mash potato, fries, processed food and sugar, and eat a lot more wholegrains like quinoa and brown rice. I’m exercising more about 4 times a week, hiking and a bit of treadmill if it’s raining. Moderate cycling – my bike is not a racer, but it’s better than the car.
I am not totally sugar-free –and I have struggled with that in recovery, having tried FAA – I’ve shared this on other posts.
What seems to work for me is an emphasis on balance and moderation rather than black/white rules. Having said that, as a COE, I don’t have balance as a natural attribute, so I need to maintain a fit spiritual condition in order to have some balance in my life.
But today, OA is working to slowly slowly lift the obsession with food. And I do mean slowly. If I’m tired, old behaviours call out compellingly to me. I struggle to stay abstinent. But I have big bouts of peace too. Precious precious peace.
I now weigh 157lbs!! Have no time to change tracker. Thank you all for inspiring me to keep letting go, one day at a time.
searsha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 06:16 AM   #2  

thanks for your post!! your story is definitely inspirational! a few months ago, i wouldn't have dared to have peanut butter anywhere even in remote sight in my house for fear of eating half a tub or something. but now... i have one giant tub of all natural peanut butter and when i see it, i no longer feel an inexplicable urge to just sit down and eat the tub with no abandon. it's been very hard for me to figure out that there's no black/white rules when it comes to food and to allow myself the occasional treat here & there.
jaaaaay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 06:22 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 163.5/142/120

Height: 5' 1"

Congrats Searsha!!!

You rock! What a change! We're proud of you!

xo
Charlene
charlenej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 09:46 PM   #4  
kgb

wow that is fantastic! when I saw 9lbs in 2 months I thought to myself well she must be really big, but you are not you are just focusing on eating well and working out for your body.

Thanks for mentioning bananas as my sponsor insists that they are not fattening and I should have one with breakfast to sustain me. What is your typical day of food like now?
Thanks
KGB
kgb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 09:58 PM   #5  

That's so great, Searsha!! Your post has made my evening! Here's to a HP that can fix it all if we let him!

Take Care,

Elaine
Lisette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 04:27 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 166/166/130

Height: 5ft1inch

Default Typical food day.

Thank you guys for such amazing support,
KGB, you asked about a typical food day:

Breakfast: ¾ cup (dry) oatmeal and organic bran mixed and cooked with 2 cups of hot water.
Handful of fresh blueberries. Half a banana. (bit more banana if I’m going on a long hike).
I also have protein:
Small breast of steamed chicken. Or a portion of hummus with some raw broccoli florets.

Lunch: medium bowl of chilli vegetable soup. Maybe 2 ryvita, if I’m not going to be eating carbs for dinner.

Dinner: lots of cooked broccoli, cauliflower, generous sized baked salmon portion.
Sometimes that’s sufficient, sometimes I eat quinoa or brown rice or baked potato.

My food plan is very intuitive, but I keep close to my sponsor on it, and my plan is formed from a low GI perspective and has a Zone element too. Change for me – big big change is in the area of proportion. Fresh vegetables make up a large part of my meal, protein next and carbs would be the smallest part.

I have lots of healthy snacking foods for variety. ( I have begun to break my snacks up so that I eat every 3 hours or so) Snack portion might be a tablespoon of organic salt-free peanut butter and half a banana. Or an apple and 6 or 7 almonds, or a yogurt and stewed apple)
searsha is offline   Reply With Quote