Old 06-28-2007, 12:02 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 252.2/220/200 1st goal

Height: 5'4"

Default What is the role of a Sponsor?

I have only attended 2 meetings and I am not quite sure when to get a Sponsor and what the role is. How does one become a Sponsor? Someone at the meeting last night said, "Bring your sharing to a meeting and your mess to your Sponsor". That makes sense, but not completely...
Thanks for any info you can send my way.
Bumps
Magic Flute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 11:56 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 190/125/135

Height: 5'2"

Hi there.

There are a lot of opinions about what a sponsor is. Here's my opinion:

A sponsor is someone who is living in recovery, has worked the steps with a sponsor, is abstinent, and is willing to commit to helping you work the steps.

I call my sponsor every morning-- there's no better way to start the day. I share with her how my program is going, how my food is, my ups and downs, my challenges, my victories, and what I've learned.

She listens, she helps me to refocus on what program teaches us, she cheers me on, she relates her own experiences to whatever I'm going through, and she commits a few minutes each day to me.

When I sponsor someone I share my expectations about the relationship. I let them know what I expect from them and ask what they expect from me. I expect that my sponsees will call me everyday at an agreed upon time, attend at least one OA meeting a week, work the steps, and commit to being abstinent.-- That's me, that's not necessarily what any other sponsor would do.

Someone becomes a sponsor by completing at least the first 3 steps, sometimes the first 5, by being abstinent, by being willing to be of service, and by being in agreement with their own sponsor that they are ready to sponsor.

The quote about bringing your sharing to the meeting and your mess to your sponsor is sometimes valid, but not always. For instance, if a person goes on and on at every meeting about their "mess", and doesn't share the progress they're making in the steps or get the help of a sponsor, the rest of the group can become tired of the continual negativity and begin to feel "dumped on". A meeting isn't personal therapy time. On the other hand, life in program isn't perfect. Not all days are good. In recovery we face challenges, disappointments, set backs, and we struggle. Sharing those times is important-- it helps others in the group to know that they are not alone in their own struggles. Even better, when it turns around and we can share how we've grown from the experience and what we learned from a hard time, that is a tremendous share.

Hope that helps.
marny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 01:20 PM   #3  

Thanks Marny,
That was very helpful.
Should one ask someone to be their Sponsor or will a Sponsor from a meeting approach you to be your Sponsor?
How soon into the Program should you get a Sponsor? I have attended 2 meetings, Online daily, and have the new comer's packet. I am keeping a food journal daily with meal planning and noting my trigger foods. I think the workbook would help too.
Bumps
Old 06-30-2007, 01:42 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 190/125/135

Height: 5'2"

Usually, you approach someone and ask them to be your sponsor. There is no time schedule for this, but the sooner the better.

Try not to take it personally if someone tells you no. Folks have a lot of reasons for saying no that have absolutely nothing to do with you. For instance, they may already have a boatload of sponsees. Maybe they are struggling in their own program, and need to focus only on it for a while. Perhaps their schedule is extremely busy at the time, and they can't take on one more responsibility. If someone says no, ask them if they can recommend someone who is available. Don't give up. You are worth the effort that it takes to find a sponsor.
marny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 06:21 PM   #5  

Thanks Marny,
I will find a sponsor. I enjoyed the group I was with last week and ordered my literature online yesterday, it should be here in about a week.
The online support is great and helps me through until the next meeting.
Bumps