Old 01-11-2007, 06:07 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 168/190/125

Height: 5'4"

Question No Longer In Denial!

Well i have always known that i was an overeater. Now i am ready for some support on controlling it if anyone is willing to befriend me. I have tried for so long to stop, but i can't go at this alone. I have no local meetings near me, so here i am. Any advice on what to do to help fix my problem? I'm open for support and suggestions. I already keep a fitday food log, what now?
tweetyandme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 08:17 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 190/125/135

Height: 5'2"

www.oa.org offers a way to connect you with people when you are far from meetings. However, "far from meetings" is a matter of opinion. I drive 30 minutes to get to mine and my mom drives an hour to get to hers. I would honestly drive 2 hours to get to one. Open AA Big Book or 12 step meetings are another source of support for working the program. The steps are the same.

OA literature is available to order through the OA website and on amazon. I started with a meeting, and then read everything that I could get my hands on so that I could understand my disease.

Now, I go to 2 OA meetings a week and at least one AA meeting a week. I work my program every single day. I am in contact with program people every day. I am abstinent every day.

I do this one day at a time, only dealing with today. I don't worry about how I'm going to do it tomorrow, next week, or next year. I've only got today.
marny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 12:13 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 163.5/142/120

Height: 5' 1"

Hi Krissie,

There are OA online meetings at

http://www.therecoverygroup.org/

There are meetings every three hours round the clock eastern time 3pm,6pm,9pm,midnight, 3am,6am,9am,noon

There are also workbooks to help take you through the steps.

I think the face to face meetings are more beneficial to me but I went to a lot of online meetings when I first started (instead of eating). My sponsor I found online and have never met, we communicate mostly by email and sometimes phone and it works out awesome!

Here's a quote of what I wrote to someone about what I get from my twice weekly meetings:
I went to a meeting on Monday night and today and I truly believe that the support I get from the meetings is huge in my recovery. I'm really getting to know everyone as friends and there are some amazing people that have gotten over food addiction, worked the steps and have been living their lives in a purposeful way free from food. Some of them for years and years.

In the beginning, I was unsure of what OA was, had heard about it in the past and thought it might be "weird" or too religious for me. But instead I've learned that the 12 steps can benefit anyone. In place of stuffing oneself with food, it holds one accountable for one's "junk" and living the best life. It's the best therapy I've ever had (& free!).

Charlene
charlenej is offline   Reply With Quote