Old 03-17-2009, 12:47 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 222/195/140

Height: 5.5

Default Carbohydrate Addict's Diet forum?

Perhaps I'm blind, but I don't see a forum for this low-carb plan. I think there ought to be one, personally it's saving my life!

Am I in the right place?
fat fairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 12:58 PM   #2  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Nope, you're not blind...there isn't a specific forum for CAD, it would fall under the catagory of "Other Reduced Carb Diets"
Sounds like its working beautifully for you! KUTGW!!
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 02:04 PM   #3  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Or you could post in the general low carb forum, I think more gets noticed there. I'm glad CAD works for you, thats great to hear

Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 12:38 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 322/172/160

Height: 5'8"

yay on the weight loss! you're welcomed to post here with us "others".

One of us! One of us!
MrsEvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 08:10 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 222/195/140

Height: 5.5

Wow, I'm in good company! You guys sure have made strides with your goals.

I guess I was hoping for a thread because the food plan, like Atkins or any other diet, is so specific. I'd love to be able to share my experiences and get pointers from others who use CAD or CALP. If you are out there, helloooo... would love to talk!!!
fat fairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 03:05 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

I just started back on the old form of CAD today. It worked so beautifully for me about 6 years ago. I lost 80 lbs doing it and suddenly realized that I should be doing what works for me. I used to have all the books but only have the original and hear there is a new one for getting back on track, but I haven't seen it. I know it isn't considered low carb, but I always thought that the only meal that wasn't low carb is the 1 Reward meal each day. I would love to hear how it is working for you.

However after reading a lot of things here at this thread I am reconsidering trying Atkins again. I obviously did a lot of things wrong when I did it before and I read the book. Maybe that is why it didn't work for me. Worth giving it another shot.

Last edited by pattygirl63; 04-17-2009 at 12:32 PM. Reason: Looking at Atkins again
pattygirl63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 09:36 AM   #7  
nirvikalpa samadhi

S/C/G: 369.5/ticker/169.5

Height: 5'8"

My hat's off to anyone who can stick to CAD. I think it's a brilliant idea but I could never limit my carbs to just one period of the day. I think I lasted on it 3 days before total failure. I'm just too addicted to carbs. I have to totally avoid them.
DCHound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 06:37 AM   #8  

I am giving this a shot. So far in one week I have lost 5 lbs. I think mostly water but on non low carb plans I just wasn't losing at all, even water. I find this works best for me. I don't actually have the addict problem. I strongly prefer carbs (and usually trend that way) but can hold out on them for two meals. What really is a problem for me though is finding 3 low carb meals - (say if I was doing Atkins or South beach) with work and travel to and from work it is just extremely hard. This works well for me if I get stuck at work I can grab a sandwich at McDonalds or if my parents want to go out for lunch I can fully participate in that meal and make up for it with the other two meals.

Does anyone truly understand why this plan does not up your insulin levels? I admit I lost the book and although I have looked on line I haven't found a good explanation.
AnnRue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 01:30 PM   #9  

Hi. I'm prediabetic, and interested in trying this plan. I'm waiting to get the book. Can anyone jut lay out the basics for me, what you eat, and how it differs from Atkins G.I. etc? How many net carbs are you supposed to have? My diabetes educator said I needed a low carb diet. I've always eaten tons of bread and cereal pasta, which, she said was part of the problem. As well as long term use of anti depressants. I've decided to start a walking program with my friend, and I all ready work out 3 times a week with a trainer, so, I was confused about why I was hanging on to 20 extra pounds. The CDE said it was insulin. Thanks.
Amie
jazzmegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 09:47 PM   #10  

Default I fiend for carbs all the time

I love carbs, and I tend to eat compulsively. Reason why I am no longer overweight is I manage my carbs. If I'm fiending for something sweet I'll dump a ton of Splenda in yogurt, in my coffee, eat lots of sugar free jello, sugar free ice cream, sometimes I'll eat oat bran mixed wth wheat germ and boil that in milk, and then dump a ton of Splenda in that. I'll also eat wild rice. Drink diet soda. Beans. Nuts. Apples. Cantaloupe. The not-so-bad carbs. Milk with unsweetened cocoa & (again) tons of Splenda.

But I never ever take sugar, honey, molasses, white flour, pasta, potatoes (boy do I miss potato chips & french fries & curly fries), white rice, breakfast cereal, stuff I totally used to gorge on. Fruit juice is a no-no (though I'll drink light beer or wine once in a while). Bananas I do rarely.

This carb management works. A long time ago I did the low-fat, high carb thing when it was popular and I did lose a lot of weight, but gained it back even faster.
urbanra5cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 07:01 AM   #11  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

"Tons of Splenda"
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 07:09 AM   #12  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

I am vewy afwaid!
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 09:21 AM   #13  

Default Trying a modified CAD

I only have 12 lbs to lose, but my doctor told me it's very important to shed those pounds because my bad cholesterol (LDL) is up almost 50% from a year ago.

I think I've become more sensitive to carbohydrates than I used to be as I've gotten older, but I don't think I'm as carb-addicted as the core target audience of the book. So I am trying a greatly self-modified version of the Carbohydrates Addict Diet.

I do not limit my healthy fruits or "high carb" healthy vegetables. Honestly I think that's a mistake unless you have very serious issues with blood sugar. So I eat berries when I want, but consider bananas to be a carb to limit.

I do not limit healthy whole-grain carbs to once a day, but make sure not to eat them alone. I still have healthy whole-grain, low-sugar cereal for breakfast, but not every day anymore, make sure to have it with fruit and nuts when I do.

The key point I'm taking from CAD is to only eat refined carbs a maximum of once a day, and not alone without other foods. I am also experimenting and then weighing myself each morning to see what adjustments seem to be working for me and which food adjustments go too far.

In 3 weeks I've lost close to 5 lbs, which may not sound like a lot but I am thrilled, considering how much trouble I was having with other plans losing anything at all.

I also just feel better. I'm paying attention to how I feel after consuming various foods now. I love bagels, but the last time I had one for breakfast followed by snacking on bagel pieces, I found I felt lousy by the afternoon. That's what got me to go dig up my old copy of the Carbohydrate Addict's Healthy Heart diet book -- which I'd recommend more than the original, because they advise against artificial sweeteners and other chemicals like glutamates.

Another thing I'm trying to live by is: unprocessed foods whenever possible. I think Michael Pollen and his "In Defense of Food" book is on to something - if a food label contains an ingredient that your great-grandmother wouldn't recognize it as food, don't have it.

I don't think the CAD concept is for everyone, and it's not intended to be. But if you find you have trouble stopping once you start eating refined carbs, and I do, I would recommend giving this a try.
shutterbug123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 03:22 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 175/163/120

Height: 5'4"

I've been reading up about this diet and I'm seriously considering giving it a go but I'm a little apprehensive that I'll somehow end up putting more weight on with it
liss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 02:30 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 184/158/135

so with this diet you can have a "bad carbohydrate" once a day? like a bagel or something? or is it more like a piece of fruit?
sarahte is offline   Reply With Quote