Old 03-25-2019, 10:27 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 285/210/130

Height: 5'1

Smile Keto anyone?

Is there anyone doing Keto?

The Standard Ketogenic Diet (SDK): The most common approach to keto, here 75% of your diet comes from fats, 20% from protein and 5% from carbohydrate.
The Targeted Ketogenic Diet (TKD): Used by athletes seeking a performance boost who are not as interested in fat loss. This is where you eat 20 to 50 grams of net carbs per day. Carb intake usually happens prior to exercise.
The Cyclical Ketogenic Diet (CKD): This diet is preferred by those who find it mentally challenging to completely forgo carbs for extended periods of time. Here, you follow SKD for a certain time period, followed by a period of eating more carbohydrates.
The High-Protein Ketogenic Diet: Designed for anyone lifting heavy and seeking to gain lean mass, the macros here follow 60% fats, 35% protein and 5% carbs

I am currently doing the Standard version, with no fats from corn or soy. I am working on keeping inflammation down because I have a vascular condition. I have been absolutely cheat free since starting 63 days ago. I have lost 11 pounds, with 79.4 to go LOL
I am seeing size differences on my body, parts are shrinking, its so weird to experience. I am just not getting the huge weigh loss many people experience when starting. Possibly due to the fact I was already a water drinker, no soda, and mostly ate at home already, very little processed foods. I am super lucky my husband is also eating this way, makes life a lot easier.
I did hit Keto flu om the 40th day in, it was pretty bad, I had been taking good supplements and thought I had everything covered but it seemed like when I switched over to fat burning my body freaked out, after 50 years of carbs my body hit the wall hard when it started burning fat. I have had some issues as I have no gallbladder, and am in peri-menopause, hot flashes are real and no joke! But I am staying on course, one keto group tells me "Weight loss in your body's way of rewarding you for getting healthy", I like that!
cherylco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 11:19 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 193/159/140

Height: 5'9"

Hi Cheryl; I'm more low carb healthy fat (LCHF) than keto but it's very similar. Only difference is my daily macros usually end up being 65% fat, 25% protein and 10% carbs. And on any given day, my macros could switch around - protein could be 20 and carbs 15 sorta thing. Keto has less carbs and uses more organic foods.

I'm surprised you got the low carb flu 40 days in!! Usually that flu hits 1-2 weeks in. You've lost 11 pounds in 2 months. That's really good. Usually on a low carb / keto plan we lose about 5 pounds per month. So you're right on track. That's fantastic you drink a lot of water. Another important thing on low carb is enough salt. How awesome that your husband is on same eating regime as you!!

I have no gallbladder and I'm post menopause. Simple carbohydrates (as opposed to complex) are so bad for us and can really cause hot flashes. So you are doing the right thing for your body. It may not make all the symptoms go away, but keto will definitely not make them worse than they should be.

There's a thread somewhere on this site for folks doing the South Beach Diet. I haven't found any other thread solely for keto or low-carbers, but I've met many individuals on various threads who eat a low carb diet. So you will fit in wherever you're comfortable. All the best!

Last edited by Follena; 03-25-2019 at 11:20 AM.
Follena is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
keto