Old 06-06-2016, 04:24 PM   #1  

Default KETO questions.

Hello, I've been on the Keto diet for 3 weeks now... I am starting to get worried about my liver.

A few days ago, my sister noticed my eyes were yellow. That worried me because I know it is associated with liver issues. I know the KETO diet causes your liver to produce ketones, could this be why?

Also, I am just afraid I am not doing it right.. Is there a calorie limit? I am supposed to eat about 1800 calories a day to lose 2 pounds a week. I have a hard time eating enough fat, I don't know how I am supposed to eat veggies because it is too many carbs.

Any help would be nice. I am still new to this.
HillarieChantelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 12:10 AM   #2  
NewB'day:27Jun16

S/C/G: 233.4/231.2/199

Height: 5ft 3in

Sorry, but this is not the first place you should turn regarding medical advice. Please consult a reputable doctor or clinic soon, even if your eyes are no longer yellow. Be forthright about your diet, any medications, alcohol or drug consumption, supplements, hazardous chemical exposure, recent illnesses, etc. Could be any one of a number of things, but better safe than sorry. Liver issues should be taken seriously.

And check back in to let us know how things went to allay our curiosity and concern....
SeeMyFeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 12:35 PM   #3  

Height: 6-1.5

All cells with Mitochondria make keytone bodies. The liver does it "best," but it is not alone in the making of keytones. There is a long chain of "events" in which one thing is converted into another thing. That is the easiest way to put it.

Jaundice is caused also by the liver and bile ducts. If you have yellow eyes, you should see a doctor.
giselley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 12:58 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 180/ticker/129 or so =)

Height: 5'6.5"

I agree that you should see a doctor, ASAP. Jaundice is often a symptom of liver problems and if there are any liver problems, you want to find out as soon as possible. Ketogenic diets do give more work to your liver so that may be an early sign that something is off.

One other possible cause of the jaundice is Gilbert's syndrome which is genetic (and not too rare). My husband has Gilbert's syndrome which causes excess billirubin and jaundice whenever he loses weight, regardless of the approach. Other than that, the syndrome has had little effect on his life. However, even if it turns out your jaundice is being caused by Gilbert's syndrome, you still want to find out ASAP because there are a couple of pharmaceuticals you will want to avoid, including tylenol (good news: there is actually a lower risk of heart disease!).

Last edited by yoyoma; 03-20-2017 at 01:01 PM.
yoyoma is offline   Reply With Quote