Old 10-14-2014, 11:45 AM   #16  
jmhwis50

S/C/G: 182/ 145/ 135

Height: 5 ft 3inches

Hi I'm also a calorie counter but I have discovered by trial and error that I am going to have to stick with the HFLC. I followed it before and I guess I forgot about my hunger issues and my stomach issues but have found that it is the only way I can control my appetite and my gerd. It makes staying in my calorie range more doable. Glad that you started a thread
jmh6251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 06:02 PM   #17  
jmhwis50

I hope this thread is active, because I think it is useful to keep me on track
Old 10-14-2014, 10:05 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 193/153.4/145

Height: 5'6" Low Carb WOE

I eat LCHF, but my protein follows the levels recommended by Drs Volek and Phinney. The theory is that you need to preserve lean body mass by eating enough protein. Low carbs and a range of fat. Lower in the range allows you to also burn body stores of fat. When you get to maintenance, you can add more fat to your diet (but still keep up the protein).
zogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 10:38 PM   #19  
jmhwis50

I know there is a formula so you can figure out how many grams of fat and protein for your height and weight.
Old 10-15-2014, 07:12 AM   #20  

Some people know their LBM, I just use macros based on my height. For your height, jmh, based on the Optimal Ketogenic Living chart, you would need to eat at least 92 g of protein, no more than 23 g of carbs and a range of fat from 69 to 162 g of fat. If you are trying to lose weight, the lower end of that range so that some of the fat comes from your body. The higher end for maintenance.
Then calories should fall within the range of 1085 to 1931 calories.
Old 10-15-2014, 10:14 AM   #21  
jmhwis50

I'm probably a little low on my protein, my carbs are on track, and my calorie range is anywhere between 13 to 1500 calories depending on my appetite. I haven't really counted my fat intake lately but probably should. Thankyou for the information because it is helpful. I should probably do more with fitday.
Old 11-17-2014, 01:42 PM   #22  
High Fat/Low Carb=Happy!

Height: 5'9" Age: 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmh6251 View Post
Hi I'm also a calorie counter but I have discovered by trial and error that I am going to have to stick with the HFLC. I followed it before and I guess I forgot about my hunger issues and my stomach issues but have found that it is the only way I can control my appetite and my gerd. It makes staying in my calorie range more doable. Glad that you started a thread
I'm also calorie counting following HFLC. I've been slowly edging my carbs down since late September and finally took the plunge five days ago. All I keep saying to my husband is how much better I feel! Not having to deal with chronic hunger and subsequent food obsession is such a relief! My entire GI tract is so much happier, too. And if you think about it, it's actually a less expensive WOE in the long run. High quality/healthy fats, nuts and cheeses are initially pricey but are so nutritionally dense that they last longer, meanwhile you're consuming less fresh veggies and meats.

I really think I could happily eat this way for the rest of my life. If I keep feeling this good physically and mentally I'm sure of it. I just wish I'd tried this a long time ago. Part of my hesitation was all the "convention wisdom" and warnings of how dangerous eating ketogenically is! Yet the diet, being nearly 100 years old, has probably been studied more than any other WOE and time and again has been proven safe, effective and even healthy over the long term.

I've chronically had high cholesterol despite eating low fat/low cholesterol. I have bad reactions to even OTC cholesterol lowering products (red yeast rice). Heart attacks at a young age run very strong in my family. I cannot physically exercise like I used to, not with DJD, OA and RC tears in both shoulders. I need to bring my weight down for my health and comfort but with a perimenopausal metabolism in addition to a low thyroid, pfffft. Yeah, I could eat so little I was losing weight slowly (OMG, slow, we're talking glacial) but I also felt like I was hungry nearly 50% of the time I was awake! I was going to bed fantasizing about cheeseburgers and pizza! Now I can literally take or leave eating and when I do eat I'm not bolting most of my meal ravenously. And to top everything off my chronic low grade depression/anxiety has lifted! That's worth the price of admission alone! Naysayers can go pound sand, I feel the best I've felt in years if not more than a decade.

If I wasn't living it, tho, I swear I'd never believe it. The doctrine of fat = evil, eat the USDA food pyramid is that deeply rooted, and I consider myself exceptionally liberal minded.

Last edited by ReNew Me; 11-17-2014 at 01:47 PM.
ReNew Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 02:09 PM   #23  

You've made it through the hardest part, Congratulations! That first week can be very tough. I'm so glad you are feeling better. And never feeling hungry is just a bonus. I'm glad you're sold on this woe. You got this!
Old 11-19-2014, 02:12 PM   #24  

Did you ever notice how before keto, we used to use meals to plan social events? It seems funny to me now, when other people are trying to plan so many things around food. The food has taken a back seat to almost anything else for me now. It's just not as important, maybe because I'm never really hungry.
Old 11-19-2014, 05:20 PM   #25  
High Fat/Low Carb=Happy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zogo View Post
You've made it through the hardest part, Congratulations! That first week can be very tough. I'm so glad you are feeling better. And never feeling hungry is just a bonus. I'm glad you're sold on this woe. You got this!
Oh, Thank YOU, Zogo!!! Although I'm kind of embarrassed to admit that I keep waiting for the "tough" part and I guess it's not going to happen. I've found it easier doing this than when I was eating nearly 100 carbs a day!

I guess I'm lucky, I love nuts and dairy. My favorite vegetable has always been broccoli. I've been gluten free for so long that the only carbs I've really had to give up were corn, legumes and potatoes.

Life is sooooo much easier when you don't spend your days constantly hungry. It boggles my mind, same (often more) calories, but the difference in how I feel is night and day.

I'm am empty nester without much of a social life but in truth, the obsession over the glut fest that is Thanksgiving had been a serious roll eyes for me ever since I had to give up gluten and now it's moved to a whole new level.

One thing, though, I'm baffled why there's so many people out there saying nasty things about LCHF and perpetuating misinformation. I've seen people be flat out rude on this and other boards, mocking people who eat ketogenically. I dunno, resentment over the fact that fat falls off without hunger? Sugar delusions fueled by bread and cookies? Just further evidence that carbs cause people's brains to function inefficiently

Last edited by ReNew Me; 11-19-2014 at 05:20 PM.
Old 11-19-2014, 10:02 PM   #26  

I will say that my brain is thinking more clearly. I had been worried when I couldn't remember something. Could be menopause or maybe that my dad died of Lewy Body Dementia. He also had heart disease and I've had some cancer issues. I KNOW this woe lessens my risk for cancer, diabetes, heart disease and dementia. So, I consider it the best way of eating for life (and health).

That's great that it has been easy for you. Welcome to the club!
Old 11-20-2014, 09:12 AM   #27  
High Fat/Low Carb=Happy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zogo View Post
I will say that my brain is thinking more clearly. I had been worried when I couldn't remember something. Could be menopause or maybe that my dad died of Lewy Body Dementia. He also had heart disease and I've had some cancer issues. I KNOW this woe lessens my risk for cancer, diabetes, heart disease and dementia. So, I consider it the best way of eating for life (and health).

That's great that it has been easy for you. Welcome to the club!
Ketosis has lifted my chronic low grade depression! I've been living with this since ... decades? I started with GI issues, finally figured out, through an elimination diet, that I had to steer clear of gluten but some serious damage was done. Honestly, I think my hormones have been out of whack since around 2000. When I started with the gluten problems the weight just started piling on and I could NOT shift it.

I started with perimenopausal symptoms early in 2013. Luckily I have a forward thinking doctor (I was still cycling but I had over 90% of the symptoms, I was so miserable). I started HRT and began feeling much better but not 100%. The heat just killed me, in particular, and I couldn't lose weight to save my life. Then my eyebrows started thinning out, from the outside edges, in. That's a classic symptom of hypothyroidism. Even though I didn't have traditional "low" thyroid, my doctor put me on a low dose of Armour thyroid back in July based on my symptoms. After a settling in period I finally was able to start slowly losing weight, with a drastic caloric reduction. Menopausal metabolism and all that, right, what do you expect? Even with HRT I can tell things are just slowing down. I still had the odd menopause memory glitch occasionally, nearly daily anxiety plus days where I was just really blue. I'm on a psychological even keel now. Haven't had to take an anti-anxiety med since ... well, a few days after I started full keto. I feel like doing things so much more, going places. It feels good. I can't wait to get my husband started! He's taking the plunge after the first of next year. He has worse anxiety than I do and I'm really hoping his brain on keto feels as good as mine does

This WOE really agrees with me so far I don't feel deprived (honestly, I think bread is the only thing I really miss, toast with eggs, y'know? I found a good paleo muffin that's LC but OMG $$$ I need to find a duplicate recipe somewhere!).

I confess I am interested in seeing what my blood work will look like (I'm having a big draw on Monday) but I don't place a lot of stock in that anymore. I've seen the long term study that was published in the cardiology journal. Basically I know my body and I really think that anything that makes me feel this good has to be good for me.

And thank you so much for the warm welcome!

I don't know how a support thread works but it's nice to find someone who is as passionate about this WOE of I am! But now I need to go reheat my coffee (4 T whipped cream/1 t. coconut oil/stevia) and I'm thinking about breakfast, leaning toward a cheese omelet with a side of broccoli topped with my avocado "mock" hollandaise. I take about 2 oz of avocado (I'm an avocado junkie), add some butter, a tiny splash of citrus, season to taste, then add about 1/4 to 1/2 c. of boiling hot water -- I usually use the water I steamed the veggies in. Whip with a plunge blender and it's awesome sauce! Wonderful to dip into or pour over just about anything.

Last edited by ReNew Me; 11-20-2014 at 09:18 AM.
Old 03-23-2015, 01:31 PM   #28  

S/C/G: 167/re-start:153/ticker/125

Height: 5'4

I am transitioning back into a ketogenic-style diet. I went off of it while pregnant, but now my baby is 2 months old and I am ready to get back on track.

I first went on the diet when my neurologist suggested it as a way to help control my epilepsy. I went from about 8-14 seizures a year (which is already not too bad) controlled by medication, to seizure free from a mixture of medication and a ketogenic diet (haven't had a seizure since November of 2013!). Ketones really do help repair brain damage and help to condition the brain, and that is huge for those of us that suffer from neuro-disorders.

Now I am ready to lose the baby-weight, and continue reducing my headaches and neuro-symptoms!

I am working my way down, reducing my carbs little by little (which I know goes against the induction process ) Right now I am doing about 60% fat, 25 % protein and 15% carbs.

If anyone knows the formula you are supposed to use to figure out the percentages (I lost track of it at some point), I would love to figure out my percentages by the formula.

Thanks!
seize the day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 06:47 PM   #29  
Started 4th of July

S/C/G: 180/168/140

Height: 5'6"

Hi Seize the Day,
That's incredible about the reduction of symptoms with the ketogenic diet.

I've been doing this for a couple of weeks and personally have been feeling great. I haven't had energy for so long that it was making me think this is how I just am. I've just been ballparking the macros. Keeping my carbs about 20 and my fat about 60. I don't know the official amount.
FinallyFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 10:36 AM   #30  

S/C/G: 167/re-start:153/ticker/125

Height: 5'4

Thanks It really is incredible what change in a diet can do for health. I figured it would help me lose weight, but never knew all of the other benefits that this diet would have.
seize the day is offline   Reply With Quote