3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Other Reduced Carb Diets (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/other-reduced-carb-diets-227/)
-   -   Tasting ketones? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/other-reduced-carb-diets/279102-tasting-ketones.html)

thepapillon 04-04-2013 06:59 PM

Tasting ketones?

Does anyone else TASTE the ketones? It's disgusting and I can't get the taste out of my mouth even with eating. (Unless, I eat carbs!)

Elizabeth779 04-11-2013 02:49 AM

I brush my teeth more often when that happens. And it's worth it since this is the only diet I've ever been succussful

seize the day 04-20-2013 03:00 PM

I've heard that being in ketosis makes you taste/your breath smell like sugar. Maybe chew some gum or buy some strong mouth wash to keep around?

SuperHeroTeacher 04-20-2013 03:13 PM

I haven't found anything that gets rid of it. For me brushing my teeth actually makes it worse. Chewing a really strong peppermint gum helps me temporarily (10-20 minutes max).

wannaskipandlaugh 05-25-2013 10:41 AM

I just drink more water.... and when I can... grab some parsley... That helps me alot :)

elvislover324 05-25-2013 10:48 AM

One of my close friends thought I had a mouth infection, I don't think I do. I said it must be the low carb diet I eat. Does it smell that gross?? We were only having a conversation (lol) and she thought she should tell me. I wanted to die...then I brushed my teeth 10 thousand times and flossed and rinsed with salt water. I don't want to ask my husband as I don't want him to notice or have to tell me he didn't want to hurt my feelings. And I get much closer to him than I do to her! ;)

wannaskipandlaugh 05-25-2013 10:57 AM

LOL Elvis... thank god for friends and your hubby is a gem no matter what.... !!! I sometimes wonder too if my breath is really stinky.. I do Real Estate closings and explain documents to people (sitting right next to them) and I have not seen anyone draw back yet... but then... maybe they are nice LOL and my cats just love my breath (and my stinky shoes) LOL

elvislover324 05-25-2013 11:06 AM

If I didn't trust her and love her, I would have been angry and even more embarrassed!!! But I trust her (plus she has one THOSE noses that smells everything, not just people LOL!) so I appreciated her telling me! But now I'm paranoid! I bought 2 boxes of Altoids for my purse so I have more than enough mints but everything I read online says you can't mask it no matter what!! I'm going to have to hide now for 25 more pounds (but no one said anything for the first 135 LOL!).

wannaskipandlaugh 05-25-2013 11:13 AM

LOLOLOL No hiding allowed!! :) I bet those all powerful altoids will do it.

I try and eat a piece of sugarless peppomint gum before I go into a closing.... that helps but the water too does help..

Aren't we glad thooooooo that we can talk here on this forum and noone smells us? lololol I mean... I sit here in my ratty PJs somedays with my hair looking like an old doll that has been smushed in storage and talk to wonderful people and be me and noone knows LOL Love this!

elvislover324 05-25-2013 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wannaskipandlaugh (Post 4752315)
Aren't we glad thooooooo that we can talk here on this forum and noone smells us? lololol I mean... I sit here in my ratty PJs somedays with my hair looking like an old doll that has been smushed in storage and talk to wonderful people and be me and noone knows LOL Love this!

You do??? I'm in an evening gown, my hair in an up-do, 6 inch heels and sipping a martini!

:rofl: Just kidding! At this point of my day, you look better than me! :rofl:

wannaskipandlaugh 05-25-2013 11:21 AM

:woohoo: Tell your hubby James Bond (oooohhhh yeah) to stir not shake that martini lol...

elvislover324 05-25-2013 11:23 AM

There is an idea! Maybe a few martinis will kill the ketone smell!!

Novus 05-25-2013 11:35 AM

My dentist asked me this week if I'm doing a low carb diet. I asked her why she asked and she said she assumed I was because of how my breath smelled. So (as I was dying of embarrassment and trying not to drown in drool) I asked her what the smell was like. She said it's like the smell of a bunch of bananas on your kitchen counter that you forgot about and need to toss in the trash. :lol:

As far as tasting it.....sometimes I feel like I've chewed on tin foil. I rarely notice it, though, but I'm not doing ketogenic low carb.

elvislover324 05-25-2013 11:48 AM

OMG Novus!!! Rotten bananas!! I think I'm going to die, no wonder why she said something! And she thought I had rotting teeth or something! I'm not on a ketogenic diet either but I think I dip in and out of ketosis with my low carb habits.

TofuSprinkles 07-15-2013 03:26 PM

Yeah, it's pretty gross, but you get used to it eventually... :)