More Fat

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • I Have only lost about 1 & 1/2 lbs in the last 6 weeks. This is really starting to get to me because I have been keeping carbs around 40-50 (including fibre carbs), calories under 1400 and doing regular moderate exercise. I just finished reading Low Carbohydrat Performance, Jimmy Moore's n=1 blog, and Atkins' advice on breaking a stall. They advocate further reducing carbs, moderating protein, and increasing fat. So now I'm doing: 68.3% calories from fat
    23% from protein
    8.7 % carbs
    1,450 calories max
    Has anyone out there done this sort of thing ? If so, what were your results ?
  • Calories sound high to me???
  • I have been between 1300 and 1400 calories since January and burning an extra 700 to 900 calories weekly with exercise. When I was doing WW ....granted I was 30 lbs heavier then....I was losing an average of 2 to 2 & 1/2 lbs a week on that amount of calories.
  • Cals sound fine to me. I have also been trying to increase my fats. I've been aiming for 75%F/20%P/5%C and staying around 1500-1600 cals because I do tend to get some exercise in at least three or four nights a week. I guess the only question I have is what types of fats are you eating and how many grams of protein is that 23% affording you?
  • Hi Ghost ! I've freaking out all day at work...wondering if I should give up on low carb and try something (anything) else. I am so glad I'm not alone This is a copy of today's journal.

Almond Milk, 2 oz 34 0 3 1
    Butter, salted, 1 tsp., 1 serving 34 0 4 0
    Coconut Oil, 1 1tsp 39 0 5 0
    Cream, Land O Lakes Heavy Whipping Cream, 1 tbsp 50 0 5 0
    Egg, fresh, 1 extra large 84 0 6 7
    Parmesan Cheese, grated, 2 tbsp 46 0 3 4
    Egg white, 1 serving 17 0 0 5
    Spinach, frozen, 80 grams 22 4 0 3
    BREAKFAST TOTALS: 326 6 25 20
    Lunch

Bacon, pre cooked/3 slices, 2 serving 160 0 12 0
    dry sausage, 2 oz 140 2 9 10
    Dole Field Green Mixed Salad, 2 oz 13 3 0 1
    Olive Oil, 1 1tsp 40 0 5 0
    LUNCH TOTALS: 353 5 26 11
    Dinner

Coconut Oil, 0.33 tbsp 39 0 4 0
    Cauliflower, raw, 150 grams 38 8 0 3
    Splenda (1 Packet), 1 serving 0 1 0 0
    Cream, Land O Lakes Heavy Whipping Cream, 2 tbsp 100 0 10 0
    Pork, country style ribs separable lean only, cooked, roasted, 4 oz 280 0 17 31
    5 Werthers, 0.6 serving 24 0 1 0
    DINNER TOTALS: 480 9 33 34
    Snack

Yogurt, Cabot Greek Style Yogurt (plain), 7 oz 254 11 20 14
    SNACK TOTALS: 254 11 20 14
    CALORIES CARBS FAT PROTEIN
    Totals: 1,413 30 104 79
    Your Daily Goal: 1,300 - 1,450 25 - 30 95 - 105 80 - 90
    Remaining Today: 0 - 37 0 0 - 1 1 - 11
  • I agree the calories look fine. I have read many cases where people upped fat intake and it helped lose. I've also read some people complain of coconut oil stalling, while others it seems to help. It can be so frustrating! I'm still fairly new (can't remember for sure but I think 3 weeks tomorrow) so don't really have a lot of advice. I hope you see some numbers moving! At least in measurements going down.
  • This is just what I'd personally do, sounds like your just on a plateau, so maybe try a fat fast. Google it, or go to reddit sub forum keto or the keto diet and search for it (there are a few fairly detailed diaries from fat fasts on there). Also, how much water are you drinking?

I went through this for a few weeks about two months ago, managed to break it with a fat fast for three days, and then after that I laid off the dairy.
  • Thank you Sweet,
    I have only just started incorporating regular coconut oil, and this stall started way before, so I don't think that it matters alot in my case. I haven't been measuring, but my body does seem to be changing in composition. I have to hold my breath and jump a bit (lol) but I can get into Walmart size 10 (stretch) jeans. Still, at this rate, I'll be dropping about 5 lbs a year, and at this calorie range that is just crazy.

Thank you Ghost,
    I'm going off the cheese and yogurt to see what that does.
    I'm drinking at least 8 c. of liquid (hertbal tea, water, and coffee).
    yesterday it was 10 c.
    Do you count the heavy cream and butter as dairy? I'm actually up a # since yesterday.... (uhgh ) maybe the sodium....
    I'm inclined to think a fat fast would be worth a try. Are you losing regularly now ?
  • That is crazy! I just started using coconut oil recently so I don't know if it has an effect or not yet.
  • I am losing regularly now. Regular for me is a few lbs in a week, the a week long stall where my body seems to normalize to the new weight (I can bump up a lbs or two in that week but it comes off) and then more losses. There is something to be said about your body stalling to readjust after a whoosh, but I don't think it would last too long.

As for the heavy cream, I have it in moderation, it has lactose which is a sugar molecule and it does tend to stall me. I keep it to a few tablespoons a week. Usually whipped with with a little davinci sf syrup to add flavor and eaten when I really want a sweet treat.

The only cheese I really eat anymore is a few bites of brie a couple times a week. Original Atkins limited it, so I limit it.

So you test for ketosis? Check out Jimmy Moores nutritional ketosis experiment and maybe invest in a blood ketone meter to see if you are reaching an optimal level of ketosis for fat metabolism.
  • So this is what I'm planning....macadamias and coconut oil....1000 calories per day for three days followed by two weeks @ 30 carbs and 1500 calories. I may throw in a day or two of herbal tea fasting just to shake things up some....I'm psyched....hope this works !
    I thought about that meter...those strips aren't in the budget though.....
  • I got on the scale today after exceeding my calorie range yesterday by about 1000 frustration calories and lo & behold, I was down 1.3 lbs....not much of a whoosh... but it was a mystical experience none the less.
    So now.... Guess I'm holding off on the fat fast until the next (probably inevitable) stall, increasing the fats, dropping the proteins, keeping the carbs below 20, and calories under 1450. I feel better already !
  • sometime patience is really all we need to succeed, lol! I know I'm guilty of jumping the gun every once in a while. But, 3FC murphys law, if you post about a stall your stall will break
  • Quote: I got on the scale today after exceeding my calorie range yesterday by about 1000 frustration calories and lo & behold, I was down 1.3 lbs....not much of a whoosh... but it was a mystical experience none the less.
    So now.... Guess I'm holding off on the fat fast until the next (probably inevitable) stall, increasing the fats, dropping the proteins, keeping the carbs below 20, and calories under 1450. I feel better already !
    Woohoo!
  • Thanks Jez, Ghost also suggested that, and it sounds like it's worth a try. I'm limiting dairy to 3 tablespoons of cream and 2 tablespoons of parmesan. Keeping carbs below 20 &/or reducing dairy seems to have had an effect....I'm down anothe .8 lbs today.