Old 03-15-2008, 04:37 AM   #1  
banned

S/C/G: 185/165/150

Height: 5'9 - 40 and fabulous!

Question Anyone tried "Carb Cycling"??

Interested to know what your experiences have been with Carb Cycling? It's referred to by other names, however, it is where you eat low-carb (under 100grams/day) for several days and then up your carbs for a day and back again in a cycle. I hear this technique is a favorite for losing fat quickly. Thanks. Joyce
bambifox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 03:47 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 402.5 / 269.675 / 180

Height: 5'9"

it works for me IF i can get back into low carb. it sometimes causes carb overload for me
losingjusme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 03:56 PM   #3  
Low Carb Lolita

S/C/G: 185/see ticker/135

Height: 5'7"

I guess it depends on what your goals are and how low your low carbin' is! If you're Atkins-style "Very Low Carb" dieting, then the whole point is to get your body into ketosis (where it's burning fat for its primary fuel source, instead of glucose). If you carb-cycle, you would defeat the purpose of a VLC diet by kicking yourself out of Ketosis for most of the week. If you're carb-cycling on a higher % LC plan, then I'm not sure. I know I've heard of calorie cycling and carb cycling--the idea on the one hand being that you need to keep your body guessing and on the other hand that you're "refueling" your glycogen stores for more energy on your one higher-carb day. I guess if it works for some people, that's great...I'm just fine doing Very Low Carb and being in Ketosis, though.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 03:02 PM   #4  
I'm committed.

S/C/G: 177/177/115

Height: 5'2.5"

Joyce, I'd be interested in your results if you try it. I read an article in Women's World (I think). It got good results for the success stories they interviewed. And it sounded very do-able. I was thinking of trying it. I too might have trouble moving back from high carb days to low carb days. But the results might be worth the willpower!

Mary
offthecouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 09:51 AM   #5  
Cookie??!?!!

S/C/G: 145/143/120

Height: 5'4

I wonder at what point to you do this? Obviously not in Induction. But OWL?
Sarae878 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 10:26 AM   #6  
banned

Heelllloooo ladies! Thanks for all your posts. Just thought I'd give you all an update on my carb cycling...IT WORKS...IT REALLY WORKS! I finally broke my stall...down 2 lbs! I've been low-carbin it religiously with no cheats since 1/5/08! I recently hit a stall (4 weeks no loss). I've been doing carb cycling for 1 week now and it seems to have broken the stall. I'll check the scale in a week to see if it keeps moving down. Today is my "carb up" day...

Mary - It's not so hard at all to go back to low carb when your used to it. Remember, my carb up days are not snickers and donut carbs, but yams, nuts, beans...that stuff is also loaded with protein and doesn't really seem to spike cravings. The biggest problem I have (being that I'm used to low-carb and thereby low-calorie), is eating "UP" cuz I'm just not that hungry! I look forward to going back to low carb/high protein.

Sara - Your right...this is not for those of you on induction. It's a good strategy to be used ONLY when you've hit a stall. If your losing consistenly on induction, then stick with that IMO. Just remember, too many people STAY on induction, cuz of the rapid weight loss. IMO, that is not a good idea if you plan to keep it off long term. After induction, I would suggest you try moving through the next 2 phases thereby re-implementing vital foods/nutrients back into your diet. On induction, you have to completely eliminate certain food groups to stick within your carb limitation. Carbs are not all bad and are necessary for vital organ functioning and is very much needed as an imperative part of any aggressive workout program. Re-fined sugars, and starches are not good, but sweet potatoes, nuts, whole grains are good and you can still lose weight eating them.

Good luck to you all and hoping for another 2lb lost next week. I'll check back!

Last edited by bambifox; 03-26-2008 at 10:27 AM.
Old 03-26-2008, 10:43 AM   #7  
Cookie??!?!!

S/C/G: 145/143/120

Height: 5'4

How long do you do a Hi Carb days and how long do you do Low carb days?
Sarae878 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 10:54 AM   #8  
banned

I'm on a 3/1 system. 3 days low carb (70grams/day) and 1 day high carb
(130grams/day). I also have started doing fasted cardio in the morn. I had previously been doing my cardio at night. Not sure if this is helping too. But, I'm gonna keep doing both and see what the scale says next week. By then, I'll be able to judge how the changes I've made effect my loss on the scale! I'll report in next tuesday!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarae878 View Post
How long do you do a Hi Carb days and how long do you do Low carb days?
Old 03-26-2008, 12:59 PM   #9  
I'm committed.

S/C/G: 177/177/115

Height: 5'2.5"

Joyce, thanks for the info! This sounds like a tool for me to use in the future, when I'm having a slowdown.

Glad it's working for you!
Mary
offthecouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 09:12 AM   #10  
22 days

Height: 5'3

I'll keep this idea in mind when I'm out of induction. It sounds interesting. What kind of carbs are you eating on your high carb days?
regime89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 01:26 PM   #11  

I FINALLY found a thread on this topic! I was about to create one, lol.

I'm doing this for the week. The science behind the diet sounds like a winner for me. I play with my diet often, just to keep it fresh and to keep the pounds at bay. I mostly count calories and try to keep it lower calories, low fat, and include plenty whole grains. I usually cyle between SBD and low-fat, low calorie ways of eating.

In carb cycling, I think I may have found the plan for me.
cmichele1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 04:06 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 206/187/145

Height: 5'9"

Never Done It
Mdavila89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 03:24 PM   #13  
47er

S/C/G: 215/191/155

Height: 5'6"

Talking Just started Carb cycling diet

Hi was reading your posts and I have been doing the Crack the Fat Loss Code for 5 days and I have lost 4 lbs already. The first week is the only real diet week cause you are depleting your body of carbs (only aloud 20 carbs per day) and forcing it to get fuel from the fat stored. the next week you have carb up and carb down days and baseline days. The idea is week after week you add stuff back to your intake, the last to add is sweets and alcohol and that is ot until week 4. I believe after week 5 you also have a cheat day where you can eat anything of course within reason. I will keep post on my progress but so far it is working. I started dieting 3 months ago low carb and went from a 215 to 201. Just started the Crack the Fat Loss Code and have lost 4 lbs of the 14 on this plan so far.
dolphinlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 10:02 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 160/158/135

Default Carb Cycling Questions

I was considering trying this (have done Atkins in the past) just to have a little more flexibility, but I'm having trouble finding specifics. For example, how many days of low carb vs. high? Also, what are the carb counts for the two types of days? I've heard anything from under 100 g for high days to under 300 g (which seems really high)?

Is there a book or a Web site that has the plan in its entirety? I've done Web searches but have come up with conflicting information.

Thanks for any info.
suzy74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 01:44 PM   #15  
47er

S/C/G: 215/191/155

Default Hey Suzy

I used to live in Raleigh and we are seriously thinking of relocating to Fuquay Varina or Holly Springs. I love it there. Just came back a month ago visiting my best friend from high school who lives in Cary and my best friend from Cali that moved out there who lives in Fuquay. Any ways. I started Crack the Fat Loss Code which is a book you can get on Amazon.com for about 10.00 to 15.00 dollars on carb cycling and explains it pretty well. The frist couple weeks are hard and you see the most weight loss cause you are only allowed 20 carbs a day the first week. The second week you start adding carbs on certain days. Third week you have carb up and carb down days and baseline days. The recipes are really good and easy. As you can see it is working for me. I also count calories for the most part. So for me it's a combination. Hope this helps.

Karen
dolphinlvr is offline   Reply With Quote