Old 03-03-2013, 04:44 PM   #286  

S/C/G: 150/ticker/136

Height: 5"7

April Snow, I'm sorry to hear about your father. But glad he is doing better now. I hope everything will be fine!

Well done on staying on plan and congrats on your weight loss!

I find I don't put on weight after PV days. I tend to eat most of my vegetables earlier in the day and I stick to greener vegetables like cabbage, green beans and brocolli. I do a 1-1 day ratio of PV and PP.
I do find my body weight has a pattern of platueaing for a week or so, then increasing slightly for a few days, then dropping below my previous platuea then plateauing again for a week or so and repeat. Now I can see that happening I'm more comfortable with seeing the weight gains because I know the diet is working.
PinkWaterfall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 09:27 PM   #287  
Dukanista

S/C/G: high263/current257/ticker/198

Height: 5'7"

Thanks Pink!

And I'm so glad that you are finding your pattern and know to expect those stalls. It's so frustrating to stay on plan and not see the scale move - much easier to hang in there when you know that in another week or so, the scale will finally catch up with you!
April Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 01:09 AM   #288  
Jenn

S/C/G: 113/85/75

I gain on PV days and as I do it in a block I can see it. I also loose roughly the same amount every PP block, so it always how much gain on PVs that determines the variation in my loss for a week. Less gain on PV means a larger overall loss for the week!

I've discovered quorn this weekend, son that will be an interesting wrinkle in the PV block. Will monitor and adjust as needed. As long as the scale keeps going down. I am well into this and probably need to settle a proper TW as I got variable results off the dukan site and am not sure yet what I will be happy with. I am hoping for at least 8 more kilos to get back to the last time I was fit and healthy in my memory. That will still be a higher weight, but comfortable at least. I can reassess from there.

April you are doing so well considering the circumstances, Keep focussing on being well and healthy yourself while your father recovers.

Pink, the patterns are important and knowing Themis important, it's why I focus so much on managing mine. These gains on PV blocks happen for a few reasons and I want to be able to get it sorted before I have to enter consol.
Electro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 02:24 PM   #289  
IP attempt #2

S/C/G: 213/213/140

Height: 5'1

Hi. I am interested in the Dukan Diet, but I would like some specifics (I need to buy the book, but I couldn't find it at the store this weekend). I have been on Ideal Protein, and would like to change it up (plus, it is getting too costly).

I am looking for some info on a few things:
1. What should my typical breakfast, lunch, and dinner consist of in the attack and cruise phases? How many oz of meat, etc?
2. What vitamins should I take?
3. What kind of oat bran do I need to purchase?

Thanks for any information or help with being pointed in the right direction!
GeauxTigers82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 08:40 PM   #290  
Dukanista

Thanks Electro!

My dad had a rough morning but after an additional (minor) procedure, he is back to being in stable condition. Still in the ICU and I know we aren't out of the woods yet, but so far, so good.

RE: your PV gains. I think it's really just an increase in glycogen levels from the increased carbs - even though it's a small amount, I am so low carb on my PP days, that I think this small amount shows up. I am assuming there will also be a slight increase in conso, with adding in the additional carbs. My plan is to allow a bit of a buffer - so say my goal is 160, I would try to lose to 155 or 156, expecting to put back on those few lbs, and then after that, I would expect things to stay stable (allowing for natural variation, of course).

Never having gotten to Conso, I can't guarantee it will work, but it's my plan, anyway!
Old 03-04-2013, 08:52 PM   #291  
Dukanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeauxTigers82 View Post
Hi. I am interested in the Dukan Diet, but I would like some specifics (I need to buy the book, but I couldn't find it at the store this weekend). I have been on Ideal Protein, and would like to change it up (plus, it is getting too costly).

I am looking for some info on a few things:
1. What should my typical breakfast, lunch, and dinner consist of in the attack and cruise phases? How many oz of meat, etc?
2. What vitamins should I take?
3. What kind of oat bran do I need to purchase?

Thanks for any information or help with being pointed in the right direction!
Hi GeauxTigers! I think that Dukan and IP have a fair amount of similarities, but one thing that I prefer is that Dukan has an emphasis on whole foods, and not the IP packaged type products. They have started to sell a few Dukan products but they are just for convenience, not required. Even non-dieting, I'm trying to eat less processed foods, so this is a good match for me.

As for your specific questions

1. You don't have to measure ounces, you just go by the list of allowed foods, and you can eat until you are satisfied. Personally, I find that after a few days, my appetite is pretty low and I'm not eating large quantities. A typical day for me is oat bran porridge for breakfast, homemade chicken broth and about 4-5 oz of chicken meat for lunch, snack of 1 whole hardboiled egg and 1 egg white (I prefer to not eat too many eggs, and I get plenty of them throughout the week). Dinner is things like couple of pieces of chicken, a lean steak, salmon burger (with homemade greek yogurt sauce), turkey burger, chicken "parm" (boneless cutlets with a small amount of tomato sauce and low fat cheese). In Cruise, I add veggies to lunch and dinner on my 3-4 PV days each week. I generally roast them but you can prepare them however you want as long as you aren't adding in carbs or a lot of fat (a small amt. olive oil is ok). On weekends, I make gallettes or muffins in a mug with the oatbran, and I also usually bake some mini muffins to keep in the fridge to have as a snack at night if I am feeling hungry that day.

2. No required vitamins. I take Alive Women's Ultra Potency, when I remember! lol! But nothing specific. If you do take them, they recommend that they are sugar free.

3. I buy the bulk oat bran at Sprouts. They do sell special Dukan oat bran but I am cheap and lazy and can't be bothered, and what I get seems to work just fine.

I did this plan for 6 months on 2011 and lost 65 - I stopped and gained most back, but that isn't the fault of the plan. I've lost almost 25 lbs in 2 months since restarting. I love this plan - I feel good, I feel full, and I enjoy the food I eat. And I lose weight! What more could you ask for?

Definitely get the book, I think it's helpful and also very motivating. And please ask away for any other questions you have, I love talking about Dukan!

Last edited by April Snow; 03-04-2013 at 08:55 PM.
Old 03-04-2013, 08:53 PM   #292  
Dukanista

and btw, you and your mom look great, congrats!!
Old 03-05-2013, 10:12 AM   #293  
IP attempt #2

S/C/G: 213/213/140

Height: 5'1

Quote:
Originally Posted by April Snow View Post
and btw, you and your mom look great, congrats!!
Thank you for the compliment and thank you for all the information! I am looking forward to starting this diet (I am going to start on Friday, March 15th).

I also look forward to asking many more questions!
GeauxTigers82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 10:25 AM   #294  
Dukanista

so this is weird, after all my posting about gaining on my PV days, I weighed .6 less today, after 2 PV days! lol! I'm doing 2 more days this week so who knows, but it wsa just funny.

I'm trying to eat normally, despite the stress about my dad - for now, that means making sure I eat enough rather than trying to limit stress eating, which is good, at least. I know I ate a little bit less than normal the past few days, but I didn't think it would be enough less to show on the scale but maybe it is....
Old 03-07-2013, 09:19 PM   #295  
Dukanista

Another .6 drop today on after my PV days. So weird, I pretty much never had this happen before, even during the other 6 months I did Dukan.

I don't know if that will be it for the week, or if I will have my usual PP mini-whoosh on top of that. That would be nice - I was at 231.8 today, and I normally lose about 2 lbs after my PP days. If that happened, I'd be into the 220s, which would be a very big deal to me. But I'm not counting on it, more like daydreaming! lol!

Hope everyone is doing well and checks in when they get a chance!
Old 03-10-2013, 11:42 AM   #296  
Dukanista

ended up losing an additional 1.6 for a total of 2.8 this week. So a good week overall but it was funny to see the PV losses. I'll have to see what happens this week!
Old 03-12-2013, 01:48 PM   #297  

S/C/G: crazy/working/calm

Height: 5'8"

Hello Dukanistas!

I'm jumping on the Dukan wagon. Gave it a half-hearted stab back in April of 2011 (yes, right around the time of the royal wedding) but wasn't really serious. Am now quietly committed to getting this done.

Today is Day #1. Had oat bran for breakfast. Just finished a lunch of turkey and roast beef (strange combo, but it worked for me.) Have already downed 72 oz+ of water and it's only 1:46PM. Dashing to the ladies every five minutes, but all worth it.

So what's different this time around, I ask myself? Thought I'd do a quick SWOT analysis to lay this out for myself.

S- Strengths: Making a plan, energy.
W- Weaknesses: Actually sticking to the plan
O- Opportunities:
***Prove to myself that I CAN stick with a plan,
***Discipline to actually lose this weight will prove that I can do anything.
***Stepping into a new phase of life, slim and focused.

T- Threats:
#1 - Frustration with slow progress. This has been the NUMBER ONE obstacle that has caused me to derail in the past.
#2 - Emotional Eating - I am most susceptible when I'm alone. It's not the social times that tend to get me, it's the time right AFTER being social, in the letdown, when I am the most tempted to stray.

Tactics to cope:
***with a gain on the scale -
#1 - Say out loud: This is just a test.
#2 - Drink a bottle of water
#3 - Drink a mug of hot water with lemon.

***with times of emotion (boredom, letdown, disappointment, lonliness, frustration, etc.)
#1 - go for a walk
#2 - do nails
#3 - make a mug of tea
#4 - journal/diary
#5 - read a book/magazine
#6 - make a collage
#7 - sniff vanilla or lavendar
#8 - take 11 deep breaths
#9 - do yoga

Seneca quote (that really says it all):
"He is most powerful who has himself in his own power."

Look forward to getting to know you ladies on this journey!
Alexistrophic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 10:14 AM   #298  

Bring it on, Day #2.
Bought the book last night and am looking forward to settling in for the long haul. I can see this becoming a way of life and just the way that I eat normally. Had my oatbran and just finished a breakfast of nova lox. A bit worried about the sodium content, but it was delicious and no hunger to speak of.

Hope everyone is doing well!
Old 03-13-2013, 02:13 PM   #299  
Dukanista

Welcome alexistrophic!

I'm still here and Dukaning, just not posting much right now as my father is seriously ill. I'm still staying on plan and not stress eating though.

I'm glad your Attack phase is going well so far. Please keep posting, I hope some of the other posters will update too, and I'll be checking in when I can.
Old 03-14-2013, 08:56 AM   #300  

((((April Snow))))) SO sorry to hear about your father.

Thanks for the welcome.

~~~
Hit a bit of a bump in the road last night (really, already?) when I ate too late and added some mayo to my turkey slices. I'm missing the fats, but took a EFA (fish oil) capsule and am hoping that will help. Also planning to include more oily fish in the diet to help quash that craving.

On to Day #3 of Attack and still feeling great (went for a walk before work this AM) so just trying to be a little bit better today than I was yesterday.