Old 07-14-2013, 07:08 AM   #346  
Jenn

S/C/G: 113/85/75

No probs naveah, I am on there from time to time as well. Just good to see people keeping the spirit going over here. Happy Dukanversary by the way.

I am hoping to reach a 'normal' BMI soon which will be the final milestone that is acheivable as far as I am concerned. It's been a long journey
Electro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 03:36 PM   #347  

S/C/G: 165/160/135

Height: 5' 6"

Just started the diet today, so any helpful thoughts from a fellow Melbournians would be great....
aussie girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 01:23 PM   #348  

S/C/G: 182/165/145

Height: 5'2"

Default Thinking of starting Dukan Diet

Hello Everyone,

One of my friends is starting this diet and I thought I would check it out. 10 years ago, I was successful on the Atkins diet, and 2 years ago, I was successful on the Ideal Protein diet and kept the weight off for one year. I am, now, however, almost back to where I started, and am at the point where I am uncomfortable and know I need to lose weight.

I was thinking of going back to IP again, but can't quite motivate myself to go back to the packets etc.... This seems a reasonable alternative.

Has had one here had long-term success on this diet (i.e. longer than 1 year)? What happens if you take "breaks" on the way (for holidays, events etc..)? How hard is it to get back to it?

I have read all the anti-Dukan information, which seems consistent with the arguments against all low-carb diets, so that doesn't bother me. I do concur with arguments that there is not enough focus on nutritional support on first phases of Dukan, but that can be addressed.

I only have 35 lbs to lose (love the True Weight, cause that seems realistic at age 55) so only 4 days on the Attack Phase of diet!

Thanks for help and advice!
CatinCali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 11:43 PM   #349  
Jenn

Hi Aussie Girl - welcome!

Thoughts on the Dukan journey - if you are a person who likes the foods allowed then this will be an easy journey, feel free to eat as much as you like at any time, it is the advantage of not having an upper limit on the amounts. Keep attack short, it is tempting to make it longer but it is not worth it, once you are through the 'detox' there is not much advantage in the high level of restriction. Get back to the veg as soon as you can. There are good choices for low fat dairy in Melbourne, so even if you do find Quark you don't actually need it.

Catincali - I am 12 months in and consolidating my 30+kg losses. There are other Dukan forums where there are more examples of success, the main thing seems to be that you have to commit to the consoldiation phase as much as the cruise phase. If you don't the rebound weight gain hits hard. Those that get through to stabilisation seem to stay steady. So it sounds like you used the True Weight Calculator on the Dukandiet.com site (Aussie Girl, I would suggest playing with that for you as well, it is free).

Small slips don't seem to matter at the start and a lot of us find ways to make holidays work without too much damage, but it can really slow things down when you are approaching the tail end of the weightloss phase. Getting back seems to depend on the person and how they decide to do it. Some attempt mini attacks (the hard and actually not recommended option) and others just go back to cruise rythym, which seems to be easier and work better. Especially if you kept close to it while on holidays.

It is a rather slow and steady diet after the first phase, but if protein intense diets have worked for you before, then this will work for you. It is very restrictive on the types of food (but there are good recipe blogs out there that are quite inventive) but the no limits on amounts means there is no issue with ever having to go hungry. That does limit the feeling of being deprived a LOT.

Good luck to you both. Hope to see you posting as we go.

Recommended sites include but are not limited to

Mydukandiet.com
Dukaners.com
Thatbakergirl.com

Enjoy!
Old 08-05-2013, 12:46 PM   #350  

S/C/G: 204/143/135

Height: 5' 1"

I am quite liking this. I am in my mid 60s and lost 30 pounds on IP last year but found keeping my weight at 130 with their suggested maintenance plan impossible.

I did try Dukan years ago when only the original plan from France was available and I didn't like it. Found it very hard to follow, I thought it was too much protein and I gained when I went to the PV days.

But I don't remember all the ff dairy being allowed, I'm not sure if that was added later or I wasn't following it correctly. I do have some difficulty with dairy, I can handle the few tablespoons included in most of the recipes but get sinus headaches with as much as a cup of yogurt. I am going to look for soy yogurt and see it that works on the plan.

I tried every known low carb plan to get the regain off, including first going back to phase 1 reboot of IP. Nothing worked; most plans resulted in more pounds creeping on.

I started Dukan last Tuesday, took 5 days of attack and yesterday was my first PV day. I had no hunger at all, even in attack.

I was amazed this morning to see I have lost 5 pounds already. I am actually very close to what the site estimated as my "real "weight (142.5). But I think that is very generous, I would like to get to 135 where my body did settle for quite a while after my IP loss. So I will go through all the stages for quite a while as I know how quickly the weight can come back.

But I also know at my age I will weigh more than what is considered average for a younger person because you lose so much muscle as you age.

I was overweight from early childhood, at my highest I was 204 at 5'1". I lost a good part of that after I discovered at age 50 I should not have been eating wheat all my life.

Well enough about me, I hope the few of us who are posting keep it up.

Pat
patns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 03:56 PM   #351  

S/C/G: 204/143/135

Height: 5' 1"

No one else seems to be doing this plan but I am still quite liking it. I am in my second week and on cruise now and it is still going well and it is not hard to follow.

My only problem is that I can't handle much dairy, I get sinus problems quickly from it. The few TBSPS called for in many of the recipes is OK but no more than that. I am looking for soy yogurt that I used to be able to find in many groceries but it couldn't have been too popular, I can't find it anywhere now.
patns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 11:36 AM   #352  
Jenn

Welcome Pat! There is not many of us on this site unfortunately, but there are a fair few around.

Soy yoghurt is used for people with intolerances, but there is a suggested upper limit of about 700gram per day. Still very generous though. I have heard other people say they get sinus headaches from dairy as well, but don't have that problem myself.

You have a great story, and I hope that this works for you. The additional phases are great for allowing us to learn different habits, and we get to use whole foods all the way through the program, which is great.
Old 08-15-2013, 10:53 AM   #353  

S/C/G: 320/220/180

Height: 5'6

Default Gastric Bypass and Dukan Diet

Hi Everyone!!! I had Gastric Bypass o1/11/2010 and got down to 176, but gained back about 40 pounds. The Dukan site shows my True Weight as 180 and I want to get back there!! My pouch is still there, no stretching and I have restriction still (I still vomit about 5 times a month) BUT!!! I need a push to get back to where I was......I have heard about this diet and bought the book; just waiting for it to arrive in the mail and wanted the groups opinion on the efficacy of this diet with Gastric Bypass.

I think that it SHOULD work, because I eat lean protein, then complex carbs. I wanted the opinion of others regarding the diet and weight loss surgery. I have lost as much as 140 pounds, but I gained the 40 back. AND! It was due to my not eating the right foods and drinking. I have stopped drinking ALL alcohol and have stopped eating horrible slider foods and nothing white, no rice, breads, chips, nothing like that.

So! What do you all think? I am going to forge ahead, once I get the book and I KNOW I can do it!!!!

Thank you all!! I will be checking back in and can't wait to start THIS journey!!

Megan
megawatt823 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 07:37 AM   #354  
Jenn

Hi Mega! Not much advice re the by pass. I know on another site there is a few who have had lap band surgery and they have to be careful to have most foods with a sauce on them, or use extra dairy to keep the food at the right texture, but they have done wel with it.

It will get you back to eating the right foods, there is no doubt about that. There are no supplements or special foods outside of the oat bran. While that is considered compulsory in the book, you can get by without it.

Hope it goes well, keep us postedM
Old 08-17-2013, 12:12 PM   #355  

Hi Jenn!!

Yes, I have to be very careful with what I eat!! I am glad the Dukan Diet is mostly protein; I am used to that!! Protein and Complex Carbs!!

I am waiting for the book to arrive and am looking forward to shedding these last 40 - 50 pounds.

Thanks for the reply!!!
Old 08-17-2013, 08:57 PM   #356  
Jenn

Have a look at mydukandiet.com as it has a comprehensive overview of the diet phases, allowed foods and recipes. Dukaners.com is an additional support site and thatbakergirl has good recipes. It will. Help with your pre planning.
Old 08-19-2013, 10:58 AM   #357  

Hi Jenn!!

I have checked out the sites; thank you so much!!

It seems to be pretty much what I can and should eat!!!

I am so excited to shed these last 40 - 50 pounds.....My true weight, from the site is 180...I know I can get there!!

Cheers!!

Megan
Old 08-19-2013, 09:56 PM   #358  
Jenn

Default @Megan

It worked well for me, hope it is as good for you. Be careful early in the attack phase, day 3 can be harsh for most people as it is where the blood sugars seem to get to the lowest point before ketosis kicks in properly. Don't limit how much you eat at this point, I f you have cravings, just eat more from the allowed lists of food. Drown that carb craving with water, yoghurt and chicken!

You would have got an estimated length of attack and consol when you got your TW! How long are you in for!
Old 08-20-2013, 12:10 PM   #359  

Hi Jenn,

Looks like I should reach my TW by 12/31/2013...from what I can see on the Dukan site!!!

My book should arrive today so I am thinking I will be starting Sunday 8/25!!!

Thanks again for all the info...it has helped immensely!

Cheers!

Megan
Old 08-21-2013, 06:58 PM   #360  
Jenn

Default Why do dukan?

So why am I glad I did dukan. One reason is going into a dress shop and taking a cute little number into the change room and trying it on. Spirits dropping as it seems firmer that I had expected and it took a few moments to get the zip done up as it stuck. Though once it was on it fit and looked good, but I was disappointed that it was firm, I had thought I was fitting more comfortably onto that size range.

Took it off and checked the label .. It was the wrong size, I had grabbed the next size down. And it fitted! I am still shrinking in body size despite being in consolidation for a few months!

I lost 4 dress sizes with weight loss and look like I may drop another one yet just due to improving muscle tone (but with minimal exercise).

All this without ever having to feel hungry! (unless I forgot to pack).

I have 11 months on consol in total and I started consol higher than I wanted to be on then scales, so it is encouraging to see that things are still improving months into this phase. Keeps the motivation high for the next several months