3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Other Reduced Carb Diets (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/other-reduced-carb-diets-227/)
-   -   How low do you go? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/other-reduced-carb-diets/257328-how-low-do-you-go.html)

LLV 04-19-2012 05:43 PM

How low do you go?

Forgive me if this has been asked 100 times already, but I just recently started posting again and I didn't surf through the archives. Besides, I'm looking for fresh answers :)

I'd just like to know what everyone's carb count is for the day. Under 100? Under 50? How low do you keep your intake?

I personally try to keep it around 50-60 and I just started low-carbing it last Monday. So my other question is if you low carb for weight loss, how long did it take you to notice a change in weight? I do it mostly for sugar issues, but I'd love to drop a few pounds along the way as well and I haven't noticed any change at all.

Thanks!

LLV 04-20-2012 09:12 AM

98 views and not one reply? Okay, sorry, I guess maybe this question has been asked to death and people are tired of answering it.

drake3272004 04-20-2012 09:27 AM

Sorry, I am not much help. I just started doing low carb myself, so I am still working on the numbers that work for me. I have PCOS and low carb was recommended when I was diagnosed. Before I was just counting calories.
It seems to me that everyone has their own numbers, what works for their body.

JerseyGyrl 04-20-2012 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LLV (Post 4300911)
Forgive me if this has been asked 100 times already, but I just recently started posting again and I didn't surf through the archives. Besides, I'm looking for fresh answers :)

I'd just like to know what everyone's carb count is for the day. Under 100? Under 50? How low do you keep your intake?

I personally try to keep it around 50-60 and I just started low-carbing it last Monday. So my other question is if you low carb for weight loss, how long did it take you to notice a change in weight? I do it mostly for sugar issues, but I'd love to drop a few pounds along the way as well and I haven't noticed any change at all.

Thanks!

To answer your question, I think it depends on the low carb plan you are doing. I do Atkins (just celebrated 8 years last week). The first phase of Atkins (Induction) is 20 net carbs (total carbs minus dietary fiber) per day, with 12 to 15 of those carbs coming from veggies & salad on the acceptable foods list. The 2nd phase of Atkins (OWL - On Going Weight Loss), is when you would slowly add foods in 5 carb increments according to the carb ladder.
I don't believe there is any set number when it comes to a person continuing to lose or maintaining their loss...meaning, everyone is different. For some, it can be as low as 20-25 and for others it may be a lot higher.
I personally keep my carbs low and stick pretty much to the basics (absolutely no grains). Typically, I don't eat more than 40 carbs a day. This is what works for me but, as I said, it may not be what works for you.
As for how long it look me to see a change in weight, I was 245 pounds when I began Atkins and therefore had a lot of weight to lose so, I lost pretty quickly. Again, there really is no clear cut answer, it is different for everyone.
I hope this helps:)
All the best to you!

LLV 04-20-2012 11:25 AM

Thank you so much for the answers so far. I know it's about finding ones own balance, but I was just curious what works for others :)

I have hypoglycemia and am at high risk for diabetes later in life, so my doctor suggested getting a handle on it now before it gets to the point of not being able to control it with diet alone anymore. And when I eat high carbs, I get too many crashes and I'll have no choice but to eat something again or take a glucose tab. So I've pretty much cut my carb intake in half. I don't count my carbs all the time, but when I do I average around 50-60 grams per day.

berryblondeboys 04-20-2012 11:52 AM

I've kept my net carbs (try to at least) at under 100. I eat an apple a day, jif (which has some sugars), some low carb atkin bars and veggies. I do not eat rice, sweet potatoes, bread, cereals, etc.

What I did find (as I did take my blood sugars for a few days) was that white potatoes did not raise my blood sugars (do for most people ) and quinoa didn't raise my blood sugars. Every other grain did. So, I just eliminated them.

When I started this my fasting blood sugars were 236. My a1c (looking at glucose on red blood cells was 6.8). I looked diabetic. BUT... my thyroid was also out of whack. I reduced my carbs, dropped weight, started exercising, got my thyroid better and now for the last 9 months my blood sugars have been perfect.

AND... in the last 4 months, my net carbs were more around 125 (though I still FEEL better with then under 100 and I'm lowering them again). Just got my lab work back yesterday - fasting blood sugar was 83, a1c was 5.2 Absolutely no sign of diabetes. Cholesterol was 189 - and I eat eggs, cheese, meat, etc. THough, I do eat most of my fats from nuts and olive oil.

So, I'm a firm believe in watching carbs - especially sugars. I find I gain water weight LIKE MAD when I eat sugars - like 3-4 pounds overnight kind of water weight. So, my body is just happier with keeping carbs lower - mostly sugar/grain carbs. fruits and veggie carbs are beneficial to the body in other ways (whereas bread? rice? not so much).

LLV 04-23-2012 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by berryblondeboys (Post 4301767)
I've kept my net carbs (try to at least) at under 100. I eat an apple a day, jif (which has some sugars), some low carb atkin bars and veggies. I do not eat rice, sweet potatoes, bread, cereals, etc.

What I did find (as I did take my blood sugars for a few days) was that white potatoes did not raise my blood sugars (do for most people ) and quinoa didn't raise my blood sugars. Every other grain did. So, I just eliminated them.

When I started this my fasting blood sugars were 236. My a1c (looking at glucose on red blood cells was 6.8). I looked diabetic. BUT... my thyroid was also out of whack. I reduced my carbs, dropped weight, started exercising, got my thyroid better and now for the last 9 months my blood sugars have been perfect.

AND... in the last 4 months, my net carbs were more around 125 (though I still FEEL better with then under 100 and I'm lowering them again). Just got my lab work back yesterday - fasting blood sugar was 83, a1c was 5.2 Absolutely no sign of diabetes. Cholesterol was 189 - and I eat eggs, cheese, meat, etc. THough, I do eat most of my fats from nuts and olive oil.

So, I'm a firm believe in watching carbs - especially sugars. I find I gain water weight LIKE MAD when I eat sugars - like 3-4 pounds overnight kind of water weight. So, my body is just happier with keeping carbs lower - mostly sugar/grain carbs. fruits and veggie carbs are beneficial to the body in other ways (whereas bread? rice? not so much).

I'm not a big fruit eater, but I do try and eat as many veggies as I can.