Old 08-10-2011, 09:45 AM   #166  

S/C/G: 176/175/140

Height: 5'8

I wish we had the stores in central Florida that I keep reading about in the posts! Some of these items are very difficult to find locally.
Joislpd264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 12:28 PM   #167  

S/C/G: 153.2/145.6/125

Height: 5'2"

Joislpd264: You don't have to buy any specialty items to be successful on this diet.
ERHR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 03:25 PM   #168  
Chick Losing

S/C/G: S/C/G 219.6/199.2/172

Height: 5.5"

Talking

Hey! I binged(somewhat) yesterday and this morning the scale was down?!
But more than that, I am down a size. From an 18 to 16
BCL216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 09:21 PM   #169  

I'm having difficulty finding Pita bread - I looked at several of the recipes and would love to try the products to stay as close to the menu as possible but many of these stores seem to be West Coast stores. I am a horrible cook and have no idea about substitutions and on top of that I work a 15 hour day (biggest portion of the time is night shift) so I am struggling. Thanks for allowing me to vent.
Old 08-11-2011, 01:13 AM   #170  

S/C/G: 255/234.5/170

Height: 5' 10"

Joislpd264, you may not be able to find the specific brand name of pita listed in the book, but I'm sure you could find some kind of whole wheat pita bread in your grocery store. Here, it's on the shelf with bread between loaves and bagels. If you can't find that, another thing I like is the thin bread from Orowheat. It's round, like a bun, but thinner. You can make a full size sandwich with it and it counts as one carb. That's on the shelf with bread too. I make a big sandwich with turkey or chicken, some cheese and mayo and a ton of leafy greens to take to work, it really fills me up and stays on plan. Hope this helps!
Finally moving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 02:00 AM   #171  

Default Bfc advise

Hi thanks to all for the post, they were great to read. We just finished the fast track and today was our first day eating carbs again. However since i am not really good at recipes I am curious to know are you are you really counting every vegetable ? I am used to a decent portion of broccoli, zuc, brus sprt etc and see that in his book they have a sugar count which will throw me over 15 really fast if eaten at each meal. I am over thinking the vegi portion of this. Maybe I should just follow the menu plans to start ? Any advise? I think this will be a great diet but I like variety in my foods with the vegis they fill me up.
Zzjoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 09:32 AM   #172  

Yes, I count every single thing I eat and only very rarely and accidentally go over my sugar limit. If you want to modify the diet to allow yourself more sugar from vegetables that's your prerogative - I'm sure you could argue that the health benefits outweigh the extra sugar. Personally I have never made a single recipe from the book, let alone follow the meal plans. I just modified a few of my staple recipes from before I started the diet and filled in plan-friendly foods around them. It was a process but for me it's much easier than cooking with all the unfamiliar foods and products Jorge has in the book. If you cut absolutely all sugar from other sources are you still eating more than 15 g/day from vegetables? Maybe just shift toward eating the low-sugar vegetables more and the higher-sugar vegetables sparingly?
Old 08-11-2011, 09:30 PM   #173  

S/C/G: 182/ticker/130 145 hlthy bmi

Height: 5'4"

Hi erhr,
Why lowest adult weight is important? In fact my lowest adult age was 121.
And 1st full time pregnancy weight was 132.
Will you pl explain?
puneri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 11:38 PM   #174  
Happy to be here!

S/C/G: 256/246/190

Height: 5'11"

I agree with ERHR. I don't follow the menus, nor do I make any special recipes. I have picked up a few of the 'special' food items because of their high fiber count and/or the online reviews of the quality and/or taste. I basically follow Atkins, eliminate all added sugar and artificial sweeteners, and choose my 6 servings of carbs carefully since they are a 'treat' to me. I think this is the plan I can live with forever.
fitchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 12:08 AM   #175  
Happy to be here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zzjoro View Post
I am curious to know are you are you really counting every vegetable ? I am used to a decent portion of broccoli, zuc, brus sprt etc and see that in his book they have a sugar count which will throw me over 15 really fast if eaten at each meal. I am over thinking the vegi portion of this. Maybe I should just follow the menu plans to start ? Any advise? I think this will be a great diet but I like variety in my foods with the vegis they fill me up.
Wow, talk about timely. My email from Atkins Nutritionals today was about incorporating veggies into your meal plans. I can't post links yet... so just going to post the text of the article:

Lose weight? Live longer? Maybe your mom was right when she told you to eat your vegetables...

1) Vegetables help keep you full for longer. The fiber and water in vegetables fill you up way more efficiently than eating processed carbs that are deficient in fiber. Combining vegetables with protein and healthy fats will keep you satisfied until it’s time for your next meal.

2) Vegetables help prevent dips and spikes in your energy levels. Once again, the fiber in vegetables helps regulate your blood sugar. If you’re eating all your allotted vegetables each day, you shouldn’t experience that late-afternoon energy slump (and cravings for sugar) that you may encounter when eating processed carbohydrates.

3) Vegetables help you live longer. Numerous studies show that a diet rich in a variety of vegetables may help decrease the hardening of arteries, help lower cholesterol levels and help prevent inflammation, a component of many degenerative diseases including obesity, diabetes, heart disease and Alzheimer’s. Researchers believe the antioxidants (vitamins C and E, plus selenium and the carotenoids) may be partly responsible for this effect.

4) Vegetables are the ultimate food replacement. You can’t go wrong when you replace junk food and processed carbohydrates, which are typically full of unhealthy fats and deficient in nutrients, with nutrient-dense foods like vegetables, which contain fiber, antioxidants and vitamins.

5) Vegetables help you lose weight. Vegetables tend to be lower in calories, yet pack a way more powerful punch when it comes to keeping you healthy and full for longer. This all means you may tend to eat fewer calories, while still feeling satisfied, if not more satisfied, than when you rely on packaged foods and foods devoid of nutrients.

Initially, it may seem like a challenge to incorporate vegetables into the majority of your meals or snacks, but you have many options for every part of the day.

Here are some suggestions:

Add spinach, scallions and a little tomato to your eggs and top with sliced avocado.

Make a low-carb breakfast wrap using turkey sausage, scrambled eggs, spinach and avocado and wrap it all up in a leaf of romaine lettuce.

Make ground beef hash by sautéing ground beef with scallions, red bell peppers and cheese.

Chow on olives with a piece of cheese.

Slather celery stalks with cream cheese.

Wrap a couple slices of ham with a romaine lettuce leaf, add some mayo and cheddar cheese.

Top slices of tomato and cucumber with tuna or chicken salad.

Combine deli meat, cheese and mayo and roll up with a pickle or cucumber.

Pile spinach, tomatoes and mushrooms on a plate, drizzle with balsamic vinegar and olive oil and top with a sliced, grilled chicken breast.

Top a tomato with cooked ground beef (seasoned with chili and cumin) and Mexican-blend cheese. Broil until cheese is bubbling.

Experiment with your spinach salad; add different vegetables or dressings and top with grilled salmon, shrimp or steak.

Stuff a half of a bell pepper with turkey or pork sausage, cook at 350 degrees for 45 minutes and top with grated cheese, no-sugar salsa, avocado or even a fried or poached egg.

Grill a steak, serve with a side salad and mashed “potatoes” (cook and mash cauliflower instead of potatoes)

Hope that helps!
Old 08-12-2011, 12:19 AM   #176  

Hi puneri,

I have my lowest adult weight listed in my signature as a personal checkpoint/goal. My basic point in adding that is to remind myself/others that I am trying to get to a weight below any I have seen post-childhood, which to me is quite a challenge. It's not really important at all, just another checkpoint, similar to BMI=25 or my goal.
Old 08-12-2011, 08:15 AM   #177  

It's been almost three weeks and my total weight loss is six pounds. Though I want to be very frustrated I have to focus on the fact that I didn't gain this weight in three weeks so why on earth would I be mad because I'm not losing it as fast as I think I should! My husband says I am part of the "want it now generation" but I'm really not. He went to Subway yesterday for lunch and got two 6" tuna subs with onions, peppers, and no dressing. He also got a Coke because he didn't have the heart to say no to one of his favorite clerks. (We used to go there every day!) So anyway, the Coke is still sitting in the refrigerator, untouched. I have to go to lunch at Panera Bread today and am already sweating what to order. Here's to making good choices! Talk to you later.

Last edited by Joislpd264; 08-12-2011 at 08:21 AM.
Old 08-12-2011, 08:35 AM   #178  
Happy to be here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joislpd264 View Post
He went to Subway yesterday for lunch and got two 6" tuna subs with onions, peppers, and no dressing. He also got a Coke because he didn't have the heart to say no to one of his favorite clerks. (We used to go there every day!) So anyway, the Coke is still sitting in the refrigerator, untouched. I have to go to lunch at Panera Bread today and am already sweating what to order. Here's to making good choices! Talk to you later.
I love Subway, too, but the bread on one 6" sub is too high a carb count. The dressing, though, would have been fine. I generally order my favorite sub as a salad (no bread) and eat lunch there at least twice a week.

Most places will make any sandwich they have without bread. If you don't know the carb count, don't eat it. Remember, we're counting carbs, not calories.

Stay strong and choose well!
Old 08-13-2011, 09:53 PM   #179  

Well, can't backslide much further than I did today! Had to be up at 4 for a yard sale in incredible humidity. Did okay for breakfast and my morning snack. Lunch was a McDonald's Quarter Pounder, Fries and Sweet Tea. To make matters worse supper was Longhorn Steakhouse for Trout, Seasonal Vegetables, Caesar Salad and White Wine. Then on to Yogurt Mountain for Yogurt with Blueberries, Blackberries and Strawberries. Oh, and a Brownie shared with a five year old. Doesn't get much lower than that. Praying to do better tomorrow and thereafter! Amazed at how bloated I feel!
Old 08-13-2011, 10:16 PM   #180  
Chick Losing

S/C/G: S/C/G 219.6/199.2/172

Height: 5.5"

Wake tomorrow and get right back on the plan. You are human and you enjoyed yourself. Don't feel guilty, just be good for the next week.
BCL216 is offline   Reply With Quote