Old 01-28-2011, 05:42 PM   #1  
Bingo

S/C/G: 270/202.8/165

Height: 5'8

Default I'm scared to eat carbs

About three weeks ago, after finding out I have poly-cystic ovaries, I decided to reduce my carb intake - a lot. I have cut out all breads and starches. I feel much better, and have lost a little weight (with diet and exercise).

Flashforward to now: I have very few cravings, and am doing well. I've thought about adding back some fruit, a little at a time. But I can't. I'm scared to eat ANY carb-rich food. I'm afraid I'll binge, or go back to carb loading, or explode or something. When I am presented with those foods (an apple came with my meal today) I was actually SCARED. I ate it, to try and beat my fear, and the apple gave me a serious headache, and has made me terribly thirsty for the last 3 hours.

I have never been afraid of food before. It's an uncomfortable feeling. Am I crazy?
dcapulet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 05:53 PM   #2  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

I've felt the same way you have. I also have PCOS. There was a time I was afraid of food as well.

As for fruit- I don't eat much fruit anymore because of my PCOS. But if I do have an apple I eat it with a little bit of peanut butter to get some protein in.

Carbs are OKAY- you do find carbs in your vegetables.

If I had to choose carbs between breads or fruits I'd choose breads. If you do eat breads and pastas make sure they are whole grain and always with some kind of protein.
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 05:56 PM   #3  
Big Miss Sunshine

S/C/G: 280/See Ticker/175

Height: 72.5"

You are not crazy but I do understand your fear. Just take it very slowly adding nutritious carbs back. I don't binge on South Beach so I know the fear of gong back to "eating like a wood chipper" (as I do w/sugar-filled foods).

If it feels like too much, as the apple might have, try something different tomorrow. I'm not sure an apple alone could really throw you for a loop like that but I don't know everything! Maybe 1/2 an apple tomorrow with some p-nut butter on it?

It's been like a science project for me. I've been adding South Beach "Phase 2" carbs sooo sloooowwwly but I'm glad I'm taking my time. I still haven't had bread, potatoes, cereal, sugar, pasta or corn. I have added back things like blueberries, peaches & carrots. I had to be careful because I can polish off a bag a baby carrots in no time flat.

Go slow - take your time - pay attention - drink lots of water.

You'll be okay! I really like South Beach as a guide to eating "good" carbs and keeping the cravings at bay.
MissKoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 06:29 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 189/186.8/160 (restart)

Height: 5'5"

I also have PCOS and I am on my own version of low-carb food plan.

The thing that I have found to be 100% true for me is that I need to combine my carbs with protein and fats.

The reasoning behind this is that your body doesn't process your carbs well (insulin resistance probably) and you need to help it by including protein in your food. Protein helps you digest the food slower, so the carb that you just ate doesn't rush into your blood stream and cause your insulin levels to get wacky (and give you headaches or make you feel weird).

So, if you eat that apple, eat it with a piece of cheese or a hard-boiled egg.

If you want to eat strawberries, eat it with cottage cheese.

You want that piece of 100% whole-wheat bread? Eat it with peanut butter.

Avoid all the refined carbs.... they are pure sugar for those of us have problems with IR/PCOS.

As you stay on a low-carb diet, you'll find that pure carbs are harder to handle on their own. Your body just becomes more sensitive to it.... which is actually a good thing.

Good luck.
Rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 12:32 PM   #5  
Bingo

S/C/G: 270/202.8/165

Height: 5'8

Thanks for the advice all! I know I will have to try again, and now I feel more ready.
dcapulet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 01:16 AM   #6  

Hi. I do low-carb too, but I eat at least one portion of fruit everyday. Maybe start with those that aren't that sweet, like strawberries.
Anne333 is offline   Reply With Quote