Old 03-28-2010, 03:47 PM   #1  
Alberta Gal

S/C/G: 154.2/151.2/125.0

Height: 5' 3"

Red face Life without diet pop and sugarless gum

Ideal Protein is showing me how hooked on diet pop and sugarless gum I had become. Well, it's now one week without any pop and with only one piece of gum. I must say that it's saving quite a bit of money, since the only diet pop I liked was Diet Rite Cola (no caffeine, no sodium, no carbs, no calories), and it was $5 a case at two cases a week. I'm hoping to stop my Acid Reflux meds soon. Saving money is a bonus. Saving my health is a gift.

Thanks, IP!
HalfPint71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 06:23 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 290/290/147

Height: 5'7"

I have cut out all artificial sweeteners except Diet Coke. Oh it is so HARD to give it up! I love it so much and I'm so tired and miserable and cranky without it. How are you getting through? I've tried to quit so many times. Quitting smoking was SO much easier.

Congrats on your week!
NiteNicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 10:21 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 166/126/120

Height: 5'1"

Wink

I am new to posting. I have been on the IP for going on 7 months now on Phase I. I have reached within 7#'s of my goal. Getting ready to move to Phase II soon I hope. The first 3 - 4 months I did great. NO CHEATING! Made it through Thanksgiving with a breeze. Christmas was a bit more difficult, but managed to get back on track in 1 week. I am eager to move on to the next Phase. Feeling great and more comfortable with myself. Has been a great self-esteem booster for me.

Last edited by swtpea1; 03-29-2010 at 10:43 PM.
swtpea1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 11:15 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 202/191/145

Height: 5'5 Started IP 03/24/10

Default What's wrong with sugarless gum?

This is the first I am hearing about sugarless gum! I chew 4-5 pieces a day. What's wrong with gum? Will it slow weight loss?
brandi lea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 01:02 PM   #5  

S/C/G: h254/IP248/186/130 or size 4

Height: 5'5" size 12 mostly

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandi lea View Post
This is the first I am hearing about sugarless gum! I chew 4-5 pieces a day. What's wrong with gum? Will it slow weight loss?
It can. The gum has some coating on it that adds up to carbs and insulin action is what I was told. Some people rinse of the gum first, as per coach's instructions. Other people only use stride gum. Look for gum made with XYLITOL if you are going to use it. MAKE SURE there aren't any carbs or count them if you use it.

Things to keep in mind:

Chewing anything may take your mind off the need to eat but can create cravings if you are left "wanting". Chewing gum often gets stomach acid churning and the digestive process going so, for some people, this can be a slippery slope to play on.

NOT ALL SUGAR ALCOHOLS ARE NON GLYCEMIC IMPACT!! Some sugar alcohols have the same glycemic impact as regular table sugar. Stay away from MALTITOL, HSH or polyglycitol which are just maltitol syrups, all have a very high glycemic impact and can pull people out of ketosis.

If you use a product with erythritol in in watch your bodies response. Some people find this has a low to moderate glycemic impact.
showgirlaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 01:21 PM   #6  

WOW! That is great information, good to know. Thanks for responding.
Old 04-15-2010, 01:38 PM   #7  

SPRY gum (I get mine at Vitamin Shoppe or online) is a little hard to get used to, but a real life saver - especially with that lovely ketosis breath! I still try to limit the pieces I chew in one day but really enjoy and need it sometimes.

I used to be the biggest Diet Coke fan, especially on tap from McDonald's. Since doing IP, I've really lost my cravings for it and now, don't even really enjoy the taste which is SOOOO strange for me. Stick it out, you'll get to that point.
ksb001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 04:54 PM   #8  
Back on Track 2 Healthy

S/C/G: 270/254.4/Healthy

Height: 5 feet Tall

It has been at least 2 months since I gave up diet soda...and oh I miss diet dew and diet coke! I still have cravings and when I see a sale ad in the newspaper I have to close my eyes and not look at it! I can't wait for this to be over...the cravings!
cathydoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 12:31 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 241/217/160

Height: 5'6

I never thought I would give up diet coke. After I was told I had to, I did. Not knowing how I would get through a day without. To my surprise it has been 6 weeks and no diet coke. Water, water, water. I did try 1 can of soda one night and couldn't even finish it. I no longer liked the taste. So it is possible. Just choose the level of commitment you want to keep with this program. In the end it is worth it. I had the same issue with gum. After awhile I realized the soda and gum just prevented me from drinking what is really important to my body... WATER!

I just want to say to my baby sis, Good Luck! She is starting the program today. Way to go!!!!! You can do it!!!!!!
Maddiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 01:05 PM   #10  
I can, I will, I do

S/C/G: Goal: 130

Height: 5'6"

I haven't had any soda in over a month. It hasn't really bothered me. I refuse to give up gum! lol I dont know how you do 1 piece a week!
Avezy44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 09:15 PM   #11  

Does Crystal Light have the "bad" artificial sweetner as well or is it ok?
Old 04-20-2010, 09:48 PM   #12  
Alberta Gal

S/C/G: 154.2/151.2/125.0

Height: 5' 3"

Aspartame is terribly unhealthy since one of its components breaks down into formaldehyde. Yikes!
As for Ideal Protein, no pop of any kind is allowed, no gum either.
I read a book on pH, and it's quite an eye-opener. Gum and pop both contribute to acidity. No pop allows me to drink all the water I need, and no gum has meant less cravings and less heartburn
HalfPint71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 09:56 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 156/156/130

hey guys, is there a group for new IPers? I am really new to this whole on-line community thing and I don't really get it! Sorry if I am posting in the wrong spot :-(
I am on day 9 of IP and right now I don't see or feel any results. I have my 1st weigh in today. My coach has a satellite center 30 minutes from where (his main office is about 2.5 hours away) I live and rarely returns phone calls and e-mails. I am looking for some guidance! thanks everyone!
in it to THIN it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 02:16 PM   #14  

S/C/G: h254/IP248/186/130 or size 4

Height: 5'5" size 12 mostly

Quote:
Originally Posted by in it to THIN it View Post
hey guys, is there a group for new IPers? I am really new to this whole on-line community thing and I don't really get it! Sorry if I am posting in the wrong spot :-(
I am on day 9 of IP and right now I don't see or feel any results. I have my 1st weigh in today. My coach has a satellite center 30 minutes from where (his main office is about 2.5 hours away) I live and rarely returns phone calls and e-mails. I am looking for some guidance! thanks everyone!
Here is the link to all of the Ideal Protein (IP) threads and chat! Come join us!

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet-236/
showgirlaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 09:21 PM   #15  
tay

S/C/G: 191/176/125

Height: 5'9"

Hey guys! For all of you die hard diet coke fans you are alowed to have diet coke with splenda and you can find it at walmart or publix!
tay is offline   Reply With Quote