Old 02-23-2009, 05:36 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 260/260/160

Height: 5'3

Default Hello friends,,Im needing advice please

Hello everyone,,so glad to find this site,,I am in need of some advice and getting it from people who are having the same struggles as me and can give on hand tips is just awesome!

I am overweight and desperatly need to do aomething about it.WW didnt work,,just didnt stay on it and paying each wek was a bit hard at times.My husband is a diabetic,,and I tried to read up on carbs/Atkins etc. and found carb counting or watching carbs is great for him also.

I tried to stay under 20 carbs for a week now and went over a few times,,then I thought I was sticking to it but then see something was net carbs(2) but really had alot more in it!!(17)!Big difference.When you watch carbs,what do you look for on the label,,where does net carb show.

If I diet and base a carb amount per day,,what would it be in order to lose weight.Something like 50 a day or more?Im kinda lost on this and all advice would so greatly be appreciated.Thank you!
Donna47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 06:10 PM   #2  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Donna!

Are you interested in doing Atkins? If you are, the first suggestion I would make to you is to read Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution (2002 edition & prior) from cover to cover, even read it twice to make sure you fully understand how & why it works.

Atkins Induction is 20 carbs per day for a minimum of 2 weeks...eating only the foods on the acceptable foods list (in the book). As you progress to the next phase known as OWL (On Going Weight Loss), you add additional foods in 5 carb increments according to the carb ladder (also in the book). This will help you determine your personal carb tolerance for either losing weight or maintaining your weight...whichever the case may be.

As for net carbs, net carbs are total carbs minus fiber. So, if you look at the total carb count on a label and you deduct the fiber count...that = your net carbs.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask

Last edited by JerseyGyrl; 02-23-2009 at 06:11 PM.
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote