Old 09-12-2009, 09:02 AM   #16  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

You can have a bagel once a day or other refined carbohydrate. A fruit would be a better choice but it's up to you.
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 10:22 AM   #17  
I've only just begun! :)

S/C/G: 338/Ticker/180

Height: 5' 10"

Hi, there,
I'm a fan of the old CAD, and lost weight on it a few years ago. I'm now giving it another shot, as I think it's the most realistic for me.

There was a question before about how the insulin thing works, and it's basically that your brain releases insulin based on two things: what carbs you ate at your last meal, and what carbs you've eaten in your current meal. So if you ate no carbs at your last meal, then your brain releases very little insulin, which is what stores carbs as fat. Therefore, what you're currently eating is not stored as fat. When you eat your Reward Meal, your body releases based on your previous meal - no carbs, so low insulin, low storage of fat. There's also the thing about eating in one hour, which has to do with the second release of insulin, but I'm not totally clear on that. At least that's what I've taken from this diet - hope it helps!

This works for me as I have low blood sugar and if I follow a standard diet, with low fat, high fibre etc., then I need to eat all the time to avoid the low sugar. I find that CAD regulates my sugar excellently.

The second reason is the reward meal. I know the new plan emphasises having a 'balanced, healthy meal', where the old one was less concerned with what you ate, as long as you ate carbs. I lost weight and was eating, frankly, junk, in my RM. This time around I'm a little more sensible (not to mention that if I make loads of veggies, there's left overs for lunch - less the carbs). However, this works for me in that if my kids want pizza, I can do that, with no guilt. If once a week or so we have a burger, no big deal. While I know that a sensible healthy meal is best, the option to have something 'yummy and disgustingly unhealthy' is something that I need. It stops me feeling deprived and like I'm in some kind of prison, as well as making cooking for the family much easier. It also means if I want to have ice cream or chocolate, I can do that. A little freedom to be less than sensible is important to me.

Lastly, this diet suggests weighing yourself daily, at the same time etc., and then making a weekly average. You then watch the weekly average drop rather than obsess over a pound or two, here and there.

Anyone else doing this, and would like to chat, drop me a line.
Havisham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 01:19 PM   #18  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Havisham

I am so excited to see it is working for you

I did it years ago but did not have much success with the reward meal. I do think its an awesome plan and would like to give it another whirl one of these days.

Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 02:48 PM   #19  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leenie View Post
Havisham

I am so excited to see it is working for you

I did it years ago but did not have much success with the reward meal. I do think its an awesome plan and would like to give it another whirl one of these days.

Thanks, Leenie!
At this point it's baby steps, but I'm cautiously optimistic. I really have to thank all the folks on here for giving me the motivation to get back on this and really do something about it. I'm trying to be honest with myself and find a plan that I can live with, and I know that 'depriving' myself of everything delicious (i.e. less than healthy) just won't work for me. I'm still working on balance, but to know that if I want an ice cream or a cookie, or something, then I can, that's a big deal to me.

It's all psychological, and maybe it's cheating, but I'll go with it till it stops working!
Old 10-20-2009, 08:49 AM   #20  

Default It's not 'cheating' ...

...if you occasionally have a treat. The problem I as a carb addict seem to have is that once I start nibbling on sweets, I have a lot of trouble stopping. One of the most important things I've taken from this plan is to try not to have sweets alone. That makes sense if you think about the rush of glucose into your bloodstream and resulting flood of insulin, compared to if you have a small dessert after a healthy balanced meal.

I've done the "cut out every fattening food, period" thing, and it does work for awhile but it's not sustainable. Occasionally saving a piece of fabulous homemade cake someone brings into the office for after lunch is much more manageable. I can still enjoy it, but in a way that's better for my body. And then that's it for the day, which is fine since if I make sure to eat it slowly and mindfully and savor every bite, it's extremely satisfying. However, I know I can't go back to munching on candy corn or M&Ms every afternoon at work if I'm tired or stressed. And I do generally want to limit (not eliminate!) my weekly intake of refined carbs for health reasons.

I'm now down 8 of the 12 lbs I needed to lose. I'm sure that sounds like painfully slow weight loss to a lot of people, but I continue to be very happy. My weight had been creeping up for the last couple of years and I was having huge trouble trying to lose anything until I started this modified CAD plan. I still occasionally have pizza and cake and Chinese food and artisan bread, but in reasonable amounts with most of my meals healthier - but still very tasty! - options.
shutterbug123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 09:28 AM   #21  

Quote:
Originally Posted by shutterbug123 View Post
...if you occasionally have a treat. The problem I as a carb addict seem to have is that once I start nibbling on sweets, I have a lot of trouble stopping. One of the most important things I've taken from this plan is to try not to have sweets alone. That makes sense if you think about the rush of glucose into your bloodstream and resulting flood of insulin, compared to if you have a small dessert after a healthy balanced meal.

I've done the "cut out every fattening food, period" thing, and it does work for awhile but it's not sustainable. Occasionally saving a piece of fabulous homemade cake someone brings into the office for after lunch is much more manageable. I can still enjoy it, but in a way that's better for my body. And then that's it for the day, which is fine since if I make sure to eat it slowly and mindfully and savor every bite, it's extremely satisfying. However, I know I can't go back to munching on candy corn or M&Ms every afternoon at work if I'm tired or stressed. And I do generally want to limit (not eliminate!) my weekly intake of refined carbs for health reasons.

I'm now down 8 of the 12 lbs I needed to lose. I'm sure that sounds like painfully slow weight loss to a lot of people, but I continue to be very happy. My weight had been creeping up for the last couple of years and I was having huge trouble trying to lose anything until I started this modified CAD plan. I still occasionally have pizza and cake and Chinese food and artisan bread, but in reasonable amounts with most of my meals healthier - but still very tasty! - options.
That's exactly how I am: if I cut everything it's not going to work for me. I'm also trying to make balanced meals at night....the other night I did chicken with veggies and rice - all healthy (and gives me chicken and veggies for lunch the next day) - and then I had a small bowl of ice cream. After my hour I'm full and feel satisfied and don't feel the craving for sweet stuff. But I know if I could only eat the healthy stuff the sweet cravings would kill me.

Like you, I'm still going to have pizza and Chinese and such, in moderation, and having that option is definitely the best for me.

It's good to know I'm not the only one out there who's not perfect.
Old 11-17-2009, 07:19 PM   #22  

S/C/G: 286/200

Height: 5'10"

Smile

Hiya! I haven't picked up the book yet, but after a lot of research, this looks like the way to go for me. The posts on here have helped as well. I'm definitely a carb addict! Ciao, divas!!
syster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 01:24 PM   #23  

Default more information

please help

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I just recently stumbled onto the 1991 Cad book and I think I am doing something wrong since I am not losing. I scored SUPER high so I know I am a carb adict. I am eating totally low carb for lunch. The old version did not say that low fat was needed. Is it? I really hate fat free cheese. I think the problem I am having at supper is eating too much? Is there any rules in the newer addition on the reward meal. The old addition does not give any rules except 1 hour. However, I do feel I have definitely been eating past full. I love the fact that I am not at all hungry! Amazing! But I also need some results! I have ordered the new edition, but need help till it gets here.
slimtobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 03:41 PM   #24  

Height: 5'4"

Smile newer book

Hi, I don't know if you got your copy of the book yet, but they did refine the old reward meal to be balanced in terms of equal amounts of carbs to healthy proteins and veggies.

I followed the old book before the holidays, but got derailed. Found the Lifespan book at a garage sale and ordered a copy of the 7 day plan also to get back into it. I am currently on day five of the 7 day plan, and finding it an easy way to get back on track.

The lifespan book, (I haven't read all of it yet) does clear up a lot of things, especially that the reward meal isn't a carbfest, but the one time a day that you can include carbs. This by itself should make a huge difference in weightloss, and there is more info on nutrition etc. that I need to read.

I would love to see a regular forum of folks following this plan, I think it is a lifestyle that could actually stick for me. I only lose weight well on low carb diets, but I know I can never have a lifetime plan that says no more bread or potatoes EVER. I can deal with a small portion at one meal, but never will just send me on a carb binge after a few days.
Monkeysocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 12:42 PM   #25  

Hello all! My husband just started this diet. He is only on day 4 but he is doing pretty good. I'm thinking about starting as well. I was looking for some more lunch ideas for him. He is already getting bored with salad! Thanks!
elross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 12:01 PM   #26  

S/C/G: 310/279.1/180

Height: 5 foot 5 inches

I am on day 9 of MM and I am loving it! No slip ups. I have followed it 100% and I am feeling great. No cravings after the first 3 days.
madismomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 05:04 AM   #27  

S/C/G: 192/166/145

Height: 5'6

I started the CAD plan last year and it's been great, the only time i stopped losing weight was when i derailed. The challenge sometimes is getting a healthy meal especially when on vacation. I'm back on plan but my weight loss has really slowed down, does anybody know if there anything i need to do to get back to losing weight weekly lke i was doing before?
MaryOjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 12:37 PM   #28  

S/C/G: 180/180/160

Height: 6'0"

Default Started CAD this week. Anyone else?

I can't believe I had never heard of this carbohydrate addict diet before. I read the book. And I honestly think it will change my life. Have a huge problem with carbs but can't stay on Atkins long term. Not going to happen for me. I feel too deprived. Only on Day 3. But so far, so very good. Anyone else doing this diet?
40mom3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 11:36 PM   #29  

S/C/G: 215/159/140

Height: 5'2"

I'm just doing low carb. No really reward days. carbs are my down fall. keeping the carbs to under 30 grams a day is my goal. It really has made a difference since I'm diabetic. Keeps my blood sugar count low, and having lost 55 pounds has really helped. The first few days of doing low carb were the most difficult for me as I started off doing no carbs for 4 days, only proteins. This plan works for me. some day I hope to be able to add a few more carbs into diet but not until I real my goal.
Girl4him is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 03:21 PM   #30  

I am on this plan too. Love it. I think it's like comparing the old Atkins with the new the old works better.
classykaren is offline   Reply With Quote