Old 05-16-2008, 05:25 AM   #16  

I am a vegan (past 3 years) as well, and I'm really enjoying reading this thread. I just started lowering my carbs on Monday. I've already lost some weight. I gained a lot of weight after staying on a raw vegan diet for 2+ years. I water fasted, and I think I ate too many carbs and the pounds kept coming on.
I have been eating lots of veggies, tofu, and nuts. Any other tips?
Thanks again for starting this thread.
daisyduke01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 02:58 PM   #17  
1 day at a time =^.^=

S/C/G: 275/217/165

Height: 5'5"

I started a lower carb/low GI, lowfat, veg woe in April. I love it! I had done well on Atkins, but all of the meat grossed me out. I'm almost vegan - not there yet, still have the occasional cheese or eggs. I'm finding it very easy. I'm higher carb than you are, though. I like my grains and legumes, but I still watch it. I'm following Dr. Neal Barnard's program - for me, it is livable.

Here's my typical day:

whole oats with 2 tsp dried fruit
almond milk

1 cup grapes

spinach salad with spinach, romaine, 1/4 cup blueberries, balsamic vinegar, no-salt spike seasoning
1/2 can vegan lentil soup (Trader Joe's)
fresh iced tea with stevia

homemade hummus or baba ganoush and celery and jicama

Boca burger, lettuce, tomato, onion - no bun
roasted veggies (whatever I have on hand - usually zucchini, carrots, asparagus, broccoli, sweet potatoes, garlic - in 400 degree oven with balsamic and kosher salt, for about 25 minutes)

Have you homemade your seitan or do you buy it at the store??
justducky2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 03:05 PM   #18  
1 day at a time =^.^=

S/C/G: 275/217/165

Height: 5'5"

Default hemp protein powder

Thanks for posting your meals, by the way...I'm getting great ideas!

You said:
2 scoops hemp protein powder (Calories: 120, Total Fat: 3g, Carbs: 13g, Fiber: 14g, Protein: 11g)

I was wondering what I could use as a protein base in smoothies and shakes that was vegan, THANK YOU! I like going to hillbillyhousewife dot com as she has a lot of frugal ideas there, and I wanted to try her magic milkshake recipe, but was perplexed as to what to substitute for the nonfat dry milk. Do you think the hemp powder might work?

What do you use for egg substitute for baking? For instance, cookies, cakes, etc? I know about tofu scramblers (how is that, by the way??) for "scrambled eggs" but want to know how egg replacers work in real recipes for baking.

Also, I've read that nutritional yeast imparts a cheese taste, but I get yeast infections from my diabetes Does anyone know if eating nutritional yeast would not be a good thing for me - will it contribute to my problem???

Thanks!
justducky2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 10:42 AM   #19  

Default Yay!!

I am a low carbing vegetarian and am thrilled to see some of your ideas!!

I thought I was the only one out there. LOL

yay!!!
akdny is offline   Reply With Quote